EFI surge tank under car

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
broke

EFI surge tank under car

Post by broke »

I'm at the stage where I need to start looking at routing my fuel and brake lines and planning my fuel system.

I'm running a L20B with ITB's. I'd like to mount the surge tank and the lift and EFI pumps all underneath the car.

It seems that space in the rear is quite limited, does anyone have any pictures of a completely underneath the car setup like what I'm describing? I still have the spare wheel well in place also.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
okayfine
Supporter

Re: EFI surge tank under car

Post by okayfine »

Any reason to not run an in-tank pump?

Alternatively, there is room to mount a tank and pump on the front side of the rear crossmember and under the rear seat bottom bump.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I have an intake pump out of an S13 and I even welded in the cup thing, it sucks big time at the track, if I get below 5/8's of a tank it fuel starves. So lame!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
broke

Post by broke »

Yeah icehouse a friend has a 610 with an in-tank pump and he has the same problem.

I did look at that region you mentioned okayfine, I just can't visualize in my head how I would lay out 2 pumps and a tank + filter in that space.

Alternatively those new Aeromotive Phantom kits look quite nice but spendy and I would be super disappointed if I shelled out for one and it still starved around corners.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I'm running a Walbro 190lpm external pump in the trunk with a large diameter (I think for a 300zx) fuel filter and have zero issues with starvation. I'm not running a Turbo SR, just a NA S14 with a few mods but zero zero starving issues below 1/4 tank.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

As Julian noted above, there is definitely space under the car in front of the crossmember. Check out the photos in my Bronze build thread;

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... &start=165

When I assembled the the car, it was carburated and the fuel pressure regulator shown was in use. With the EFI conversion, that was regulator was scrapped giving more space. I'm also using a Nissan 200SX rubber isolated pump mount and Nissan pump at this point, both of which are much more bulky than the pump you mentioned. The next mod is to put a 1.5L (1.5 quart) capacity "surge" tank on the driveshaft side of this photo in the same area. It would be custom, but there is certainly room.

Right now, at 1/4 tank of Fuel and without a surge tank, it starves on RH corners and it is a PITA! I even upgraded the feed line in the tank down to the pump to 1/2", and it still starves. So the surge tank is necessary. One test I do need to complete is to confirm that the capacity of the surge tank will feed the pump for 7-10 second range, as I think this would get me through any cloverleaf hard on the throttle, which I think is the worse case situation.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

We hung a surge tank under James' green car. There is a Carter hi volume lo pressure pump feeding the surge tank, and then the typical and ubiquitous Walbro GSL392 feeding the high pressure side out of the surge tank into a filter of some sort.

http://www.rfpcb.com/pictures/510/james ... 00x600.htm

Maybe James can post a picture of it where it was mounted, under the car, between the little frame rail bit and the wheel well.

The volume of that tank has proven to be adequate.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Here's an inline pump and filter mounted to the vertical surface of rear passenger seat floor. Plenty of room for all that and a surge tank. It was only after getting all this done that icehouse suggested mounting the pump to the crossmember, since the crossmember had rubber bushings to the body already.
IMG_1382.jpg
IMG_1382.jpg (253.64 KiB) Viewed 4591 times
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

I'll have a look....

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Hmmm... only pic I could find. Gotta crawl underneath and get a few shots.

Here is the topside. Low pressure Carter pump feeding the mini surge tank - you can see Rob's handiwork poking through the trunk floor. This system is basically bullet proof with the only issue being one of the wires to the Carter pump vibrated off during a club run. Never have I had any lean conditions in corners with low fuel either.

The AN line that runs up is the return line and is plumbed into the filler neck with a steel fitting welded on a 45 degree angle aiming toward the tank. With the car running, you can pop off the fuel cap, look down the filler neck and see the fuel shooting back into the tank. :mrgreen:

James
DSC02485.jpg
DSC02485.jpg (221.18 KiB) Viewed 4584 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
broke

Post by broke »

okayfine wrote:Here's an inline pump and filter mounted to the vertical surface of rear passenger seat floor. Plenty of room for all that and a surge tank. It was only after getting all this done that icehouse suggested mounting the pump to the crossmember, since the crossmember had rubber bushings to the body already.
IMG_1382.jpg
That is one of those simple, yet ingenious ideas that make things easier. I will be stealing it, hehe :mrgreen:
McShagger510 wrote:
The AN line that runs up is the return line and is plumbed into the filler neck with a steel fitting welded on a 45 degree angle aiming toward the tank. With the car running, you can pop off the fuel cap, look down the filler neck and see the fuel shooting back into the tank. :mrgreen:

James
Yep I think I'm going to do this too - I figure if I can hear the sound of fuel dribbling into the tank then it should be extra reassurance that I have enough fuel supply.
-McWicked
broke

Post by broke »

I ended up making a tank, as there was nothing on the market that would fit in the space I had available. Dimensions are 100 high, 190 wide and 65 deep (in mm, because I'm not a savage).

I think I'll probably weld a Bosch pump bracket to the surge tank, and have a Carter lift pump somewhere nearby underneath the car too.

Here's a pic, in case anyone is thinking about doing something similar.
IMG_2201.JPG
IMG_2201.JPG (127.28 KiB) Viewed 4503 times
-McWicked