JDM Legends

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
iceD

JDM Legends

Post by iceD »

I saw this TV show advertised and I was not able to find it on the Discovery Velocity schedule on my Shaw cable. Anybody able to watch this.
ice D
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: JDM Legends

Post by funwithmonkeys »

You can watch it on motor trend on demand.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I watched it last night, I think it kinda sucked. I understand it's the first one of the series, but they seem like a few guys that are turning a hobby into a car building biz, not that that is a bad thing, I just hope they get better at it. They show a few clips of one guy trying to TIG a patch around the fender and the dude just welds the tungsten to the metal, has to damn near break it off the fender, then he tries to explain how thin the japanese metal is and that you can't TIG it.......then the next time they show him welding on it with a MIG welder......I just hope it gets better because I really like the cars.
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

After seeing their FB live feed. I change my opinion of what I seen on the first the episode. I totally understand now why I found it rather dry. Looking forward to tonights episode.
Last edited by eastbaysolo_73 on 24 Apr 2018 13:55, edited 2 times in total.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

They differently need some schooling on TIg welding thin metal, their welder ( looks like a older Miller Syncowave in the one camera shot), has the capability of pulse which they should of used welding thin sheet metal. I think that they are a jack of all trades and a master of none. I am glad that there is finally a show featuring Japanese cars and not American iron and it appears a least in this first one there isn't a lot of drama and unrealistic time schedules.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I haven't seen the program as of yet but judging by comments here it sounds like the point there trying to get across is there just guys like you and I working on cars not pros and will make mistakes. Personally I like it when car shows show when mistakes happen like the kind you and I would make because we're not perfect and it's going to happen.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

Is there a way to watch it without signing up to a subscription service?
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

KiKiIchiBan wrote:Is there a way to watch it without signing up to a subscription service?

Yes it comes on Tuesdays on Velocity channel.
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

I have to disagree with most, I thought the show was good. I didn't watch the show to learn to be a better welder or a better car builder for that matter. I wanted to watch it because its breaking the norm of super clean garage that get things handed to them for free as a form of mass marketing their product. I thought the one guy made a good point stating that most things for the Jap classics have to be fabricated and cant be purchased from a magazine or website. You can tell they have the passion and knowledge to properly build these cars, to stress over the exhaust being slightly off center and have to actually fabricate it to make it work says a lot. Any other TV show would have a part that is perfect fit and they don't have to think outside the box.

I have actually known this company for some 3-4 years now. They didn't start a garage to get this show going and they have been building beautiful cars for some time now. I have seen two of their cars in person at SEMA that last few years and I would consider them for a build if I had the money to just throw out the door. The one dudes personality is super bland but I know that for TV shows they have to "act". Everyone knows Chumlee from Pawstars????? He's really not that stupid in real life and is more an act the producer have him put on to make things entertaining. He is actually very intelligent and is one of their best pawn brokers on the team. Another example which I absolutely hate but have accepted is the garbage announcers for XGames. They take the basic terminology that people in the hobby know and have to dumb it down for the average person. To me I always think its super cheesy and can be left out, but then I think about people who may be watching that have never snowboarded, biked, skateboard, etc a day in their life. Producers have a way of dumbing things down to appease to the masses.
looking for pass. side arm rest
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

I liked the show watched it from my hotel room in Vegas (needed a break).
I thought they were typical Datsun guys, car looked good to me when it was done.
Not into the other shows so much they seem to put giant wheels on the American iron
look like cartoon cars to me.
Although I do like Dan on Fantom Works his vocabulary would fit right in with the Datsun/car guys I know.
We'll see how the show progresses.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

goichi1 wrote:I watched it last night, I think it kinda sucked. I understand it's the first one of the series, but they seem like a few guys that are turning a hobby into a car building biz, not that that is a bad thing, I just hope they get better at it. They show a few clips of one guy trying to TIG a patch around the fender and the dude just welds the tungsten to the metal, has to damn near break it off the fender, then he tries to explain how thin the japanese metal is and that you can't TIG it.......then the next time they show him welding on it with a MIG welder......I just hope it gets better because I really like the cars.

I watched a differnet new series on Netfix because the White Zombie was on it. The most terrible show I've ever seen, luckily I could fast forward, which is what I did through 99% of it. Maybe that was why this show seemed pretty good or maybe I just had low standards because TV for the most part is boring.

As far as the welding. I mig weld from the back side whenever I can. Requires way less grinding. I'm no pro but why weld from the side you can see??
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I really do want to see more of what they do and what cars they will be featuring next......but I still think that they need to show more of the actual work that's going on. Maybe its hard to do for a 30 minute TV show. I don't watch these shows to be a better welder or car builder either, but I do learn from what I see other people doing, and it does give me great ideas sometimes. I also think they do really nice builds, I havne't seen one in person, but I'm sure they are nice, they just appeared to be lacking the skills of welding. I guess it's hard to really tell how they really are from a 30minute TV show.
Heinrich

Post by Heinrich »

watched the first episode as well, quite disappointed in how it is presented.they almost make is it seem "bland"
would also like to see full restoration, as in from the rusted body up to finished car.but as goichi1 said, maybe it is hard to do for a 30 min show.
Progress is slow, but it is progress non the less.
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

My episode will air next Tuesday May 8th.

They built my 68 510 from a rusty shell to a complete build where every part has been replaced/upgraded.

I haven’t seen the episode and they didn’t sign the deal until the car was closer to done, so I’m not sure if they will show everything, but if you look at my Instagram (kcmo68_510) you will get a sense of the work they can do.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

icehouse wrote: 24 Apr 2018 08:13
goichi1 wrote:I watched it last night, I think it kinda sucked. I understand it's the first one of the series, but they seem like a few guys that are turning a hobby into a car building biz, not that that is a bad thing, I just hope they get better at it. They show a few clips of one guy trying to TIG a patch around the fender and the dude just welds the tungsten to the metal, has to damn near break it off the fender, then he tries to explain how thin the japanese metal is and that you can't TIG it.......then the next time they show him welding on it with a MIG welder......I just hope it gets better because I really like the cars.

I watched a differnet new series on Netfix because the White Zombie was on it. The most terrible show I've ever seen, luckily I could fast forward, which is what I did through 99% of it. Maybe that was why this show seemed pretty good or maybe I just had low standards because TV for the most part is boring.

As far as the welding. I mig weld from the back side whenever I can. Requires way less grinding. I'm no pro but why weld from the side you can see??
I watched that whole series on Netflix and found it interesting where 3 home built cars/sleepers race a supercar in the quarter and winner goes on to the finals. The episode with White Zombie was great!! The white zombie owner really is a piece of work boy and pretty much nothing nice to say about anyone's gasoline engines and his additute is you suck I don't. At Canby 2017 he shows up at the last minute of the car show then quickly left because he was upset he wasn't placed up front with all the really nice cars, well hell dude when you show up at the last minute what da ya want? Anyway in his race white zombie looses control and goes left destroying a nice Mazda Rotary (I think it was a Mazda) his reaction was simply sorry man and said with a "whatever" attitude. He was the only one in the whole series who lost control, some driver, maybe his better than thou attitude got the best of him,,,what an ass.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon