What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by RONSLYCHUK » 04 May 2020 14:24

I just finished changing my fuel/temp gauge in my dash. The old one would wander from full to empty and cold to hot occasionally. Luckily I found another one in one of my parts boxes. One day I will figure out how to send pics lol.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 04 May 2020 15:29

I remember the infamous Winthrop trip....." Oh. I'm ok for fuel!" :lol:
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK » 04 May 2020 15:33

Yep! I now think that the gauge was the culprit the whole time ha ha!

butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 » 05 May 2020 12:37

i have a couple gauge clusters if anyone needs parts.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 05 May 2020 13:45

I had an interesting go-round with O2 sensors.

I thought the gauge that I ordered did NOT come with O2 sensor, so, I grabbed one from Specialty, that they had on the shelf, marked AEM.

I open the bottom of the new gauge box and lo and behold..an O2 sensor. So, I thought I would just open the Specialty one...just because.....it was DIFFERENT!

And, they are both different than the Bosch one I use in my Innovate.

This opened up the world of how many different O2 sensors, and plug styles, there are...of course WHY would anything be standardized.

So, I look up the AEM part number...that came with my gauge...NOTHING kicks up...what the hell. After spending 15 minutes in the InterWeb I find a thread that I think addresses the fact that AEM did a miss print in their instruction manual, of the P/N#. I decided to phone AEM and talked to a tech guy who then gave me..I'M HOPING...the correct Bosch cross over P/N#.

It seems my new gauge uses the latest (almost) UEGO LSU 4.9 sensor, as opposed to the older 4.2 sensor. Here is a nice article explaining things.

https://www.ecotrons.com/accurate_lambd ... 2_sensors/

We will see when my "backup" arrives, as I want a spare on my shelf.

The Subie rally guys did many tests with different fuels to see life span, mine, using my leaded Avgas/Octane booster, gives me a life span of 50 to 60 hours, so in real world for me, around three summers of driving.

I do hope it is maybe better, as I did have issues with my sensors with the Innovate.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 06 May 2020 18:02

IT LIVES!!! :D

Ran wires for AEM but did not hook up power or the new O2 sensor, will do that Thursday. Was not sure how much cranking, whatever, and did not want to maybe mess up new sensor.

Cam was dry as a bone since sitting from October, so drizzled a good bit of oil over it, rotated by hand and did some more. Pulled plugs and cranked motor till I just saw the oil pressure gauge wiggle. Virtually started right away so that was good! Ran it for 10 -15 minutes to 190 F..

I adjusted the clutch and the gas pedal, not done that in awhile.

Will install new O2 sensor, power I hooked up after I shut car off, so should be good to go. Air dam is in my basement so have to re-install that.

Let the season begin.

Note to all, that we have had STUFF off our cars, CHECK YOUR WHEEL TORQUE!

Keith Law

Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing » 11 May 2020 04:43

Today? Nothing yesterday 5/10/2020 Mothers Day, power washed the 510 removed front fenders, hood, trunk lid, bumpers, lights, front apron, key locks, door handles, BMW 320I side mirrors readying things for some touch up body work then color. Headlights and turn indicators will stay on and front-end covered before color, its a start.
510_paint1.jpg
510_paint1.jpg (320.58 KiB) Viewed 377 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon

djlotus
Supporter

Post by djlotus » 16 May 2020 10:35

The other day i swapped to later style trunk bows so I can get an evap collector box thing into the trunk. Today I was working on getting some rails together to swap in my new seats, had to order some new drill bits so thats on pause. Gonna see about fitting the rears later today.