seat belts in my 68

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
slodat

Re: seat belts in my 68

Post by slodat »

goichi1 wrote:....an SUV at 60mph into a old VW bug, no seatbelt in the world is gonna help you! :shock:
No doubt. He was told that a shoulder belt would have dramatically lessened the severity of his facial injuries.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

slodat wrote:
Denver wrote:Sort of on topic: Is it illegal to only have a lap belt in the driver's seat?
I don't know about the legalities. I do know it is horribly unsafe, for no good reason. The cars came with a shoulder belt.
no good reason? howz about $$$$ :evil:

dont think 68s had shoulder belts

if the vehicle wasnt equipped w/them then they arent requied. (CA law only? or fed?)

i would add them on!
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
slodat

Post by slodat »

I ordered my seat belts from gotbelts.com last night. Thanks again okayfine for the tip on ordering a shorter length!

The iceman gets my old belts for his '68.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

icehouse wrote:I'm not much of a fan of them, my seatbelt ticket record is proof of that (over 13).
13 seat belt tickets.....Man talk about being profiled.....I bet your ticket count has gone down since you cut your hair!! :mrgreen:

Maybe you should paint that car also......the money saved in seatblet tickets would pay for the paint and then some. :D
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

cut the hair??? OMG! where's the pic????? come one....I gotta see this! 8)
slodat

Post by slodat »

I'm so glad you guys haven't seen my hair! I make the iceman look well groomed :D
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Jeff gotta haircut :shock: ? This I gotta see :twisted: ! Next your gonna tell me he shaved off too ....
Jason
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Slodat, any updates? Have you installed the seat belts that you ordered from gobelts? Do you have any pictures? I want to order these for myself for Christmas, but I want to wait to hear from you, and any advice you might have. If you're happy with what you ordered, please tell me exactly which ones and what options you ordered (shoulder drop, stiff arm, length of webbing.) In other words, make it easy for me.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

nickledimeme wrote:
icehouse wrote:I'm not much of a fan of them, my seatbelt ticket record is proof of that (over 13).
13 seat belt tickets.....Man talk about being profiled.....I bet your ticket count has gone down since you cut your hair!! :mrgreen:

Maybe you should paint that car also......the money saved in seatblet tickets would pay for the paint and then some. :D
haha I did cut my hair a while ago, its already getting long again. For some reason my hair grows really really fast!

The door and hood is painted on my car now :D One day I will have a datsun worth washing :D
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Yah, no crap, when I saw Jeff last Saturday morning he had on a wooly cap that had so much hair underneath it looked like a turban :lol: ! That lady that walked by us gave us a wide path too, I guess I looked pretty scruffy too that morning eh :shock: ?
Jason
slodat

Post by slodat »

S15DET wrote:Slodat, any updates? Have you installed the seat belts that you ordered from gobelts? Do you have any pictures? I want to order these for myself for Christmas, but I want to wait to hear from you, and any advice you might have. If you're happy with what you ordered, please tell me exactly which ones and what options you ordered (shoulder drop, stiff arm, length of webbing.) In other words, make it easy for me.
I got them on Monday and installed them this week. Installation was straightforward. No photos just yet. This is what I ordered:
BEAMS Chrome Lift Lever Retractable Lap & Shoulder Belt WSCH300
Web Length = 130 inch (Special Order)
Buckle End = 25 inch adjustable floppy w/bolt in end fitting
Shoulder Mount Option = 8 inch Extended Door Post Fitting

The above info is cut-n-paste from my order confirmation. I bought their hardware kit and I'm glad I did. It took the advertised 4 weeks for delivery. They are very nice. The retractor is as compact as I think physically possible. The 8" drop is near perfect. I really like the chrome lift lever buckles.

I drove the car with them installed today. I am very pleased. I'll snap some photos when I get a chance.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Thanks, please send some photos when you can. Was the 25" a good length for the buckle end? Where did you attach the retractor? When retracted, does it take up all of the slack?
slodat

Post by slodat »

I'm headed to the shop to get some work done on the car today. Like I said, they fit pretty much perfect. The 25" is good. It is adjustable and works great. The seatbelts attach in 4 places -

1. Up high in the stock location.
2. Retractor in stock hole in rocker panel.
3. I drilled a hole in the floor just under the retractor for the loose end of the retractor belt.
4. Buckle end in stock hole in floor.

Both floor connections are on an L bracket supplied in the hardware kit.

The retractor takes up all slack.
'70 510 2 door
chopped '69 521
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

Thanks. I'd still like to see your installed pictures, if its no trouble.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Mee too! I am interested in adding these too.....sounds like a good product and a lot safer than my lap belts that are 38 years old......