What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
68 Wagon

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by 68 Wagon »

Finished wiring up the Ford EDIS crank fire ignition today. It would not start with key ON power from the fuse block so I stood back and decided to run power all the way over from the start/run wire that used to go from the coil and Yippy, she fired and runs. So then wired in the Megajolt lite jr. and with just a blip of the key she starts and idles purrrrfect. I am going to convert my wifes automatic stocker to this as well as my 70 Roadster stroker (that is if I don't convert the Roadster over to an L18 with crank fire!) Anyways, a great red-letter-day to remember.

I have been driving a 2004 Dodge Neon since the wagon distributor took a dump.....uuugggg what a soul-less piece of .............plus is decides to lock you out of it whenever it takes a whim. I have learned to Always take the keys with me when I exit this "save you from yourself" car....
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Congratulations!! Must be nice that it runs well. is it good through the rev range?

I may hit you up soon, if I get close enough, to get my system going.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

68 Wagon wrote:Finished wiring up the Ford EDIS crank fire ignition today. It would not start with key ON power from the fuse block so I stood back and decided to run power all the way over from the start/run wire that used to go from the coil and Yippy, she fired and runs. So then wired in the Megajolt lite jr. and with just a blip of the key she starts and idles purrrrfect. I am going to convert my wifes automatic stocker to this as well as my 70 Roadster stroker (that is if I don't convert the Roadster over to an L18 with crank fire!) Anyways, a great red-letter-day to remember.

I have been driving a 2004 Dodge Neon since the wagon distributor took a dump.....uuugggg what a soul-less piece of .............plus is decides to lock you out of it whenever it takes a whim. I have learned to Always take the keys with me when I exit this "save you from yourself" car....
If you have the time, could you do a summary of the entire swap in a thread of your own - unique to the EDS swap onto your L motor?

It's been documented in pieces, but not in full.

Thanks.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
GREG510

Post by GREG510 »

James, is that Tracy`s old 510 in the Garage ???
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yes!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Yeah why, you want to buy it Greg? Gotta get it outa there….. :roll:

James
DSC00065.jpg
DSC00065.jpg (248.08 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
DSC02921.jpg
DSC02921.jpg (433.88 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
DSC06532.jpg
DSC06532.jpg (346.41 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
DSC06533.jpg
DSC06533.jpg (365.69 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
DSC08002.jpg
DSC08002.jpg (324.53 KiB) Viewed 4064 times
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Brad.Miller

Post by Brad.Miller »

I continued to play with this funky webber...... Waiting on my larger idle circuit jet in the mean time I just can't seem to leave it alone. Tinkering with this thing is like a drug......
68 Wagon

Post by 68 Wagon »

Yes, Byron, I'd be glad to do a write up with pictures of the Ford EDIS conversion.
I've been driving 70's Datsun sedans, wagons, and roadsters almost every day since 1983!
68 Wagon

Post by 68 Wagon »

While I get this system sorted out I would suggest you do what I did and go to Autosportlabs.com for their very detailed instructions on how to install a Ford EDIS system and Mega Jolt Lite Jr. on your engine with carbs.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

In line with Sundays drive I thought I would adjust my valves today. It was hot in the back of my plant, so I should have waited. I fired the car up, I swear it started on half a crank, as it was so warm the AvGas had NO problem turning into vapor.
I ran the thing up to temp , let it run for a few minutes to warm the oil, then shut it off.

I had all my tools ready go. Holy Crudmucker, after doing the intakes I was drenched in sweat and when I was done with the exhaust valves..I WAS DONE! It was 30+ in the back of the plant, then leaning over that hot motor was just a cooker.

I use go-nogo feeler gauges and only a few were out and the cam looked just great. I always check the mouse trap springs at the same time.

The plugs were looking a bit passed their prime so I stopped and picked up a fresh set of 7's for Sunday and will pop them in tomorrow, before I bring the car home. One of the few times I do NOT have to get up crazy early, as the leave spot is only 5 minutes from my place.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Like a few people on this site, I'm on holidays and in between adventures at the moment. I took the 510 over to Specialty today, dodging a veritable gauntlet of police, even having a Delta cop follow me on my bumper all the way from the Annicis Island entrance to 64th, I thought he was going to pull me over for sure.

I drilled and mounted my GPS cable so I do not have to use duct tape anymore, was making such a mess in the heat. I also pulled the air box off and just did a nut and bolt check for all the reasons, specially making sure all my fuel lines were good and tight.

It was the vintage war plane fly-in today at the air park, which was really cool. I swear I am going to get a ride in one of those Harvard's one day.
Attachments
IMGP0482 (Large).JPG
IMGP0482 (Large).JPG (241.4 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
IMGP0481 (Large).JPG
IMGP0481 (Large).JPG (211.78 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
IMGP0480 (Large).JPG
IMGP0480 (Large).JPG (159.42 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
IMGP0479 (Large).JPG
IMGP0479 (Large).JPG (186.67 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
IMGP0477 (Large).JPG
IMGP0477 (Large).JPG (214.85 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
IMGP0476 (Large).JPG
IMGP0476 (Large).JPG (205.18 KiB) Viewed 3777 times
IMGP0473 (Large).JPG
IMGP0473 (Large).JPG (236.29 KiB) Viewed 3777 times

Keith Law
510rob

Post by 510rob »

how much HP in that forklift?
pmaknefob

Post by pmaknefob »

I've had my battery mounted in my trunk for about 25 years, but since I began using Optima battery's 10 years ago, It's been cranking slow when hot, and I just lived with it. I read an article in one of those Ratrod Magazines about battery's and cables, and they had a photo of exactly my battery set up and described what's wrong with this picture. The guy -and me- had a proper #1 gauge positive cable going from the Battery to the starter, but a standard gauge smaller cable -#4 I think- going to the floor as the ground. The author said to run a #1 ground cable to the starter as well, and it would start just fine. I didn't think I had to do that since I already had a thick copper ground strap linking the starter to the frame at the idler bracket and starter to bell housing bolt, and the body conducts very well as a ground. I just swapped in a #1 ground cable, same 17" length to the trunk floor, and now it starts like it should= very fast. What a difference. I think anyone using an Optima battery should also use the thicker #1 cables. Napa auto parts will make them for you in red and/or black, any length. A ground cable from trunk to starter is 14' long, $85.00. And rather heavy too... 'Don't need it.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I have the exact same setup in my 510 (cept for a typical car battery) 35 years running and it has never failed to turn over with authority, unless of course the battery was fugazi.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Why our cars rust.....

Yesterday I jacked my car up to put on jack stands and remove wheels, clean up after the WET Sunday drive, which was basically 4 days ago. I have a ramp into my work, maybe 6 degrees, plus, I had had a DRY drive back for 40 KM from the car show.

At the angle that I jacked the passenger side up on first, I likely came up at least a foot. When I went around to the other side, I noticed a large pool of water under the left front, where my inter-cooler sits.

In looking under the car, the water has come out of a factory hole on the frame rail, right where it intersects with the lower rad support and the T/C box. At least 4-5 tablespoons of water came out of there!

I can only imagine what might be sitting in other seams right now, and as it has really cooled off here, it is going to take some time to evaporate.

While I'm glad I supported Glen and his show, I swear this is the last rain drive I do, short of getting caught out on a drive back from somewhere, YIKES.

Keith Law