What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
icehouse

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by icehouse »

bertvorgon wrote: 26 Feb 2021 07:26 The reviews are pretty favorable, so many variables, it is always hard to tell in tire comparisons.

Jeff, I ran as wide a spacer as possible to increase track and play a tad with over/understeer setup, depending on course. This was done with slicks of course, as the short tire could be moved out with no issue. I ran up to 1" on the back.

Nice they are available at a good price, I was getting worried when this set ran out, I would be trying to test something else....I like my known quantity...!. I really think you will like the sidewall feel.

A new tire always feels BETTER.

I started my 510 the other day, almost too hard to start, as it was 38F. in the garage. Glad I did not leave it any longer than spot on one month. I will fire again in the middle of March, hopefully it starts to warm up, winter does not want to leave.

The new hubs on my car bring the wheel inboard 1.5" over stock struts to fix the scrub radius issue. I need to build some longer control arms to get the wheel back out there. Not sure how much spacer testing I could do with stock fenders and 225s.

Also it turns out the wheel hits the T3 TC rod.... I got a fix, stay tuned.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Sumikkolani

Post by Sumikkolani »

Today I replaced the hood cowl weatherstrip.
Weatherstrips for the cowl are rather difficult to find in Japan. Other parts like original steering wheels, seats, door panels and etc are easy to find.
I found it on zcardepot.com; however shipping was costly.
Next, I am purchasing a new interior carpet.
Mahalo nui Loa,

Laniboi
BMID

Post by BMID »

Today I thought I would roll out the 68 to take a picture with the VQ car.
Attachments
IMG_20210320_173531_334.jpg
IMG_20210320_173531_334.jpg (425.37 KiB) Viewed 1665 times
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yesterday was the last "winter" fire up before insurance in late April!

This was a shorter time period since the last fire up and it lit off right away. Temperature In the garage was some 10 degrees warmer than last time too.

Now that it is not so cold I'm going to remove the Wide band gauge, bring it home and carefully dismantle, to change the face plate to a lighter one, black to white.

I also am going to try to carefully bend the mount a tad forward, to get rid of the last of light reflection.

Looking forward to some semblance of a driving season, what with Covid still blazing along. looks like my age group can now get a vaccine shot, so that might take some worry away, still have to be careful though.

The mountains are still getting a TON of snow, which means the roads are still salted and sanded, so it is going to be a while till the passes are clear and dry. Have to find/make some nice loops out the Fraser valley and such just to get out. I suspect our best option might be just going up the Canyon for aways, the Duffy will be bad for awhile too.

Unless we get some massive and quick melt, there will be no camping at Manning Park on the May long weekend! Knox Mountain is a go, NO SPECTATORS and only 50 entrants allowed.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

bertvorgon wrote: 27 Mar 2021 08:05 Yesterday was the last "winter" fire up before insurance in late April!
Hi Keith,

Is there a reason you don't go for ICBCs modified collector plates? I did that for my car and no complaints - annual insurance for about the same cost as insuring under normal insurance for 3 months. I think mine was less than $300 for the year and after inspection and submitting the paperwork, it only took a few weeks to get it approved.
Regards,
Owen
72 Datsun 510 2 door - 2.3 LZ with 280zx 5 speed
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - PROJECT
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I just do not want to stir up any issues with my car..period. I have __ ______ and a couple of other "things" that an inspector or whatever, might not like. Then if THAT got red flagged...Holy Hell!

My ICBC insurance, for just the basic, costs me about 400.00 for the 6-7 months that I insure it for the road.

I have external "collector" insurance for my appraisal of $50,000.00 CDN, which includes storage, total loss, glass, vandalism, etc, which for the YEAR, costs me 750.00. Total peace of mind as far as I'm concerned.

At the rate some of these 510's have been selling on Bring a Trailer, it really is time to maybe get an updated appraisal. It has been quite a few years since I had this appraisal done by one of B.C.'s top appraisal guys.

Bottom line I just do not want to stir up any issues and will maintain my status quo.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Makes sense... I've heard from many others that in the case of a total loss, it can be painful to get ICBC to acknowledge the value of many collector cars. I suspect 510s would be on that list given their inexpensive lineage, although certainly lots of evidence that replacing a mechanically and physically sound 510 is going to take all of that $50k CDN.
Regards,
Owen
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

No way I could replace my car for 50K now, which is really scary, yet I have gotten to enjoy it for 43 years this season!

My engine and transmission alone are UNOBTANIUM now. The amount of "sub-systems" on my car are huge and NOTHING is cheap anymore.

You just have to spend a day at Specialty to see what is stuff is really costing these days, labour aside.

No wonder our younger generations have no interest for the most part in owning a car, let alone something radically modded.

Sure, there will always be a segment that has tons of money. My car was built with a specific purpose in mind and those days are done here and it is truly a bit of a dinosaur. At Least it's a fast one! HA!

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Looking forward to visiting Specialty Engineering when I can more easily get over to the mainland. I've got a binder full of receipts from them, so they know the car well.

Would love to see your car when that happens. I'm in the planning process with my car and won't likely take it off the road until the fall for the paint etc. but I don't really have it all planned out yet.
Regards,
Owen
cartel

Post by cartel »

im not really sure how good any "appraisal" is.. ive seen some that were far out of line with reality - both too high and too low--

the best "insurance" is updated pictures yearly- - as that shows the condition NOW.. along with receipts if there are some and a running video.. IMO paying for a "professional" appraisal is no better than you taking pictures yourself ..

its ICBC's problem if they "think" a 510 is a $5k car.. they have to replace it with market value- plus both taxes- the car im building for a friend will likely hit 80k after paint-- ive seen another one that was done at RacingGreed and its a 4dr SR that i was told hes past 100k - without labor my orange car will be probably around 50k..

Covid has raised the prices on everything-- a dump bulldozer house in brookswood is $1m... its beyond insane .. a 510 has become a "luxury" good .
look how quick butters car sold ..
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

Well, "not really a what I did" but more of a "what I received" - just as exciting in some ways :D

Opened and a quick inspection for damage (none) and the quality seems excellent. Really pleased with Futofab.

I went with the JDM/AUS front marker light holes. I've got the roundies for the back and a pair of the knock-offs (until / unless I find some real ones that don't cost more than the car) for the front. I'm also going to delete the 70+ license plate lights and go with the bumper mounted one, converted to LED. This will give the car a bit of a '69 look.

Unfortunately, Futofab forgot to include my side marker lights in my shipment... I'm sure they will correct that.
Front Valance_small.jpg
Front Valance_small.jpg (192.86 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
front-fender-510_small.jpg
front-fender-510_small.jpg (205.68 KiB) Viewed 1475 times
Regards,
Owen
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Getting the exhaust leak fixed on the Goon, and did some brake bleeding with my favorite bleeding bottle.

Also put the small steering wheel back on the Goon.

And the good original steering wheel on the 72 Sedan.

Now gotta get some time to clean them up.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Well it wasn't today but Monday. Went to start the 510 and the ignition bezzle broke. After work I made a replacement piece of aluminum. Still need to smoothen it up and paint it but it works.
itsbroke.jpg
itsbroke.jpg (624.03 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
thefix.jpg
thefix.jpg (471.13 KiB) Viewed 1216 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Annnnd, finished the black trim on the spoiler and vent cowl.
blktrim.jpg
blktrim.jpg (464.02 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
trimblk.jpg
trimblk.jpg (479.68 KiB) Viewed 1218 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
RONSLYCHUK
Supporter

Post by RONSLYCHUK »

Very nice!