What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
RMS
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by RMS »

great write up! I know what im doing tonight... :oops:
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

RMS wrote:great write up! I know what im doing tonight... :oops:
Just updated my post. Get her done!
1970 2 door sr20det cookie cutter build
My build thread
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=30772
Nor Cal Meng !
SteveEdmonton
Supporter

Post by SteveEdmonton »

I hope you're hearing it-- you did a great job describing & illustrating that process. I'm saving it for later. Thanks a lot for sharing what you've learned.

Steve
'71 4-door
'74 MGB-GT
'04 Miata
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

SteveEdmonton wrote:I hope you're hearing it-- you did a great job describing & illustrating that process. I'm saving it for later. Thanks a lot for sharing what you've learned.

Steve
No problem. After much trial and error. This is what the corners should look like. Mind you I have not glued it down yet as I need to clean everything up and remove all the dust thats accumulated in seal gutter. So the straight sections are pretty simple to wedge into place. I found that pushing the rubber upwards towards the glass on each corner is what worked best for me and actually kept the seal in place with out glue. if you stretch it, it will just lift up.
correct2_6417.JPG
correct2_6417.JPG (250.63 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
Attachments
correct_6416.JPG
correct_6416.JPG (371.28 KiB) Viewed 4755 times
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Not exciting but this past week involved getting the car registration back into my name and not jointly with my brother. With AIRCARE gone there is no need to have it out of the lower mainland. Lots of small hoops to jump through as it also involved changing my valuation policy too. As my brother is 300 miles away it took a bit of mail exchange to accomplish that. He also had to sign the tax form as the car is deemed a "gift", so there is no tax issues. We discussed the collector plate but with the need for an inspection I told him that is not an option. I will save some money too as I had redundant coverage with ICBC and now only need the liability.

I have asked my insurer to keep and eye out for a 510 plate for me as I will insure car at end of April...should the sun ever come back.

Next week will be about removing intercooler and checking all my methanol and water spray systems.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

I counted the other day I've not worked on mine in 217 days, that's when I test fitted the engine. 142 days since I last saw my Coupe! I need to make some more effort.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Finished the Datsport trunk seal. Here's some photos. People please make sure you mock it up with it installed correctly before you cut the seal. Rookie mistake I installed it the incorrect way the first time and cut the seal. After speaking with Baz and getting the correct information on installing it. I realized I shot my self in the foot as the seal was slightly shorter now during mock up. creating a gap in the seal. I had to cut a small piece to fill that area. Which sucks ass because it would have look so much cleaner had I not cut the seal prior to doing my research.
Per Baz make sure you lightly dust talc powder on the seals prior to closing the trunk. He's says the seals can be a little sticky. I also used Palmolive liquid soap to help in moving and wedging the seals in place. Then on the glued areas use some light sand paper to scuff that section prior to glueing. Keep a cup of warm water handy and paper towel or a shop rag to remove any glue residue of your fingers and seal if it gets messy. I used painters tape to hold down the glued section of the seal.
trunkseal_6639.JPG
trunkseal_6639.JPG (261.03 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
IMG_6640.JPG
IMG_6640.JPG (333.61 KiB) Viewed 4645 times
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Got the door seals halfway installed on both doors. Just need glue the bottom half section and I will be done with those. Took a few time to get it installed correctly. Baz helped big time with installing it correctly into the seal channel. Took 3 times and a lot of palmolive soap. lol glad it will be glued hopefully today. Once I'm done chauffeuring my wife and kids around.
Door seal 1_Fotor.jpg
Door seal 1_Fotor.jpg (241.54 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
FullSizeRender 2.jpg
FullSizeRender 2.jpg (88.62 KiB) Viewed 4546 times
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

Finally put my SR's trans back together but not in the cases yet just everything on the mainshaft & countershaft attached to the main bearing plate. Funny how much you learn when you just sit there gazing at the mass your about to reassemble,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and good pictures. Don't have a pic of it's reassembly just it's Kaos 8>)
Attachments
510-Trans.jpg
510-Trans.jpg (303.94 KiB) Viewed 4527 times
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
eastbaysolo_73
Supporter

Post by eastbaysolo_73 »

Three B's Racing wrote:Finally put my SR's trans back together but not in the cases yet just everything on the mainshaft & countershaft attached to the main bearing plate. Funny how much you learn when you just sit there gazing at the mass your about to reassemble,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,and good pictures. Don't have a pic of it's reassembly just it's Kaos 8>)
Get her done.
My build thread
Nor Cal Meng !
iceD

Post by iceD »

tune up
plugs
wires
cap
rotor
compression test 182-186 across cold before valve adjust
cold valve adjust
could not get 3 & 4 exhausts loosened gonna try again hot
clutch
including slave cylinder, engine rear seal, transmission seal?, throw out bearing, input bushing, and a roadster clutch.
washed it
for the first time in a while
went
for a drive lost power briefly ordered a fuel filter from glen while getting some
dual points
set at my save on foods keyring card near enough 20? I misplaced my feeler gauge in the middle of all this feeling
adjusted
the newly upholstered front seats
adjusted
original equipment front seat belts to fit actually worked out well with a lot of prying and pulling
can these be re-webbed?

ice D
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Today? Nothing but yesterday I rotated the tires, lubed the suspension, inspected all mounting nuts & bolts, checked lights, and now only thing left to do ir wash and buff before I leave for Canby Monday moring at 12:01am. It's going to be a hauel with some great company to follow. See you all next weekend.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Three B's Racing wrote:Today? Nothing but yesterday I rotated the tires, lubed the suspension, inspected all mounting nuts & bolts, checked lights, and now only thing left to do ir wash and buff before I leave for Canby Monday moring at 12:01am. It's going to be a hauel with some great company to follow. See you all next weekend.
I'm looking forward to meeting some of the people I hear from all the time on here. It's pretty rare that everyone from so far away gets together with their 510's.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
Three B's Racing
Supporter

funwithmonkeys wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:Today? Nothing but yesterday I rotated the tires, lubed the suspension, inspected all mounting nuts & bolts, checked lights, and now only thing left to do ir wash and buff before I leave for Canby Monday moring at 12:01am. It's going to be a hauel with some great company to follow. See you all next weekend.
I'm looking forward to meeting some of the people I hear from all the time on here. It's pretty rare that everyone from so far away gets together with their 510's.
That's the part that makes the drive so worth it,,,meeting the people behind the Realm/Ratsun writings. Pay no attention to the "Bass Guitar for Dummies" it was given to me as a joke but must admit it has some really good offerings within, I'm a seasoned sorta Pro--sorta :lol:
Bass n beer.jpg
Bass n beer.jpg (294.82 KiB) Viewed 4270 times
- John Lennon
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Changed the diff and tranny oil, new wiper refills and Rain-X'd the windshield, back window and side windows.

Been 4 years on the diff and with a lot of high RPM cruising, lots of heat. Chunks on the magnet(s) were smaller than 1/4" so all was good!

Now the watching the weather begins for Canby...no go if not 100% for me.

Received my new brake retention pins from Texas, OEM stuff. Still waiting, after 1 month, for my PLASMA LED 1157 bulbs to try. They came from Oregon, down to Compton, California and are now somewhere on a horse, wending it's way to Canada! Lesson here, make sure you read the fine print when choosing shipping options, don't cheap out. I am looking forward to the test, as these MAY be the ones we have all been waiting for.

I also signed up for the Pentiction car show on the 24th, there were not a lot of spaces left as this show has gotten bigger also. I'm just blasting up for the day.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer