What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by bertvorgon »

Just to put that in perspective...so you don' feel too badly...

When I change my oil, with Motul 300V race oil, 100% synthetic, it take virtually 8 litres with my comp pan and that huge oil cooler. It cost me 125.00 CDN!

I have found to, that going just a hair richer on the idle jets, sure helps with that transition stumble.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

Thanks to Byron and Paul the brake master cylinder and rear brakes got bled today. Whoa that was quick with 3 guys working the system. Thanks guys. now for the front brakes and onto the next car.
Jason
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

i drove mine really fast on the free way with a fellow bored (philcas1987) member !lol his single cam pulls hard with 411's in the rear end. It was fun seeing all the people check out our cars.
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, I think we salvaged as much as we could from this one - kinda looks like a turkey carcass after a family invite!

Byron
Attachments
DSCN8044 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8043 (Medium).JPG
DSCN8042 (Medium).JPG
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i bought a period correct home (built 1974) for both 510's. eventually they'll BOTH fit inside the garage! :lol:
been upgrading it to the 21st century for the last month...

now ill have a place to make repairs and make noise w/o some a-hole neighbor calling the cops :mrgreen:

pix? some day... :fu: :P
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

Byron510 wrote:Well, I think we salvaged as much as we could from this one - kinda looks like a turkey carcass after a family invite!

Byron
hey come on now, are you going to throw away a perfectly good roof? :)
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Byron510 wrote:Well, I think we salvaged as much as we could from this one - kinda looks like a turkey carcass after a family invite!

Byron
Byron,

2 things you might want to grab before you haul it away.

1. The rain gutter moldings are getting pretty hard to find. Our 510 brothers down under (Australia) are always looking for them, I have seen them sell on ebay for over $100 a set.

2, I have started to cut out good sections of the rocker panels and keeping them for patch panels from my parts cars.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
ichorid
Supporter

Post by ichorid »

I bought a turbonetics turbo with a .58 A/R and 60 trim, 820cc injectors with a top feed rail, new fuel regulator, have my pistons, FMIC, Maf, and all the other goodies in a shopping cart ready to get to me.
4 door 72 510 -- gathering parts for KA-T project
inline4

Post by inline4 »

byron, if you have the space to stash a patch panel and store it, could you cut a section to fix

I'm gonna try and track down some money to buy your brackets :o and could use a patch panel :)
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

What did I do on my 510 today? I drove it to work, picked apart some guy in a spanking new Tacoma and was awarded the bird by him hehehhe!! Driving to Maine after work for Mexican eats,,,,,Yes killer Mexican restaurant in Kittery, Maine just over the channel from Portsmouth, NH. Then to Smuttynose Brewery downtown Portsmouth for home brew, then some night time time exposures in infrared for an up coming photo contest and home. But I did wash and wax the 510 this past Sunday in prep for winter hibernation. As far as any mods of fixes goes,,,,,,,replaced the diff a few weeks ago, 3 beer job!!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
m33pm33p
Supporter

Post by m33pm33p »

Productive week in general, completely dissasembled my rear sub frame, sandblasted every parts and primedered as well(paint after mock up). Slotted the rear crossmember, ordered new rear bearings, bushings from everything to mustache bar to sway bar end links as well as 200sx calipers and rotors with adapters. Picking up a r200 diffto start working on the fab up of the r200 squeezing in there. Will be diddling around looking for half shaft's cv's to mock up then will eventually be machining spacers for all that stuff to fit together next week along with final fit and and paint. then the whole sub frame will be reassebled and stored away while I do the exact same thing to the front sub. It's been a good week for sure!
djlotus
Supporter

Post by djlotus »

I walked past it in the garage. Then I told it that I'll start working on it again real soon.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I'm headed out this morning to help local member Mandeep install the Datsport DIY rear Cross member Kit. I saw Jason's kit years ago, just after I made a completely different version myself seen here:
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6946&hilit
I’ll post later today. We’re taking Mandeeps X member down to sand blast it first – I hate working with dirty stuff if it can be avoided – I’ll post results at the end of the day.

Byron
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

inline4 wrote:byron, if you have the space to stash a patch panel and store it, could you cut a section to fix

I'm gonna try and track down some money to buy your brackets :o and could use a patch panel :)
Were you serious about saving this portion of the car? I thought the car was gone, but apparently the hulk has not yet been hauled away. I may have a chance later today...
Byron
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

I decided to go out to the shop and do something. I recently received an OEM air cleaner decal from Art Hughes in BC. I decided to install the decal. What a pain! Art sent me the details but I did not realize how tough it was. Anyway, it is done and looks good. Now my '72 has all of the stock decals it came with, new. Thanks Art! I put the car cover back on and closed the shop. No driving now with it raining 1" yesterday. Yuck!