What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I have about 20k on the digital autometer without an issue. It does only read from 10 to 17...at wot below 5000 it stays at 10
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Thanks Gang.

The E8 code is "sensor timing", what ever the hell that is...

E9 is low voltage..I had that and put a relay in so the power was direct from the battery ( Thanks Rob)

E5....which is what it stayed at after doing it's insane scroll through everything.....is a short in the cable or, a short in the sensor.

This thing has killed a few O2 sensors over the years too, my leaded Avgas SLOWLY degrades the sensor, but, it always works, just slows down. I change the sensor every 50 hours of running time approx.

I don't feel like changing out stuff at this point, just to maintain a 13 year old device. I do need readability below 10. In reading SO MUCH STUFF on the internet, Innovate has some issues that do seem constant with their system(s). Even to phone them is rife with customer service issues so I am not going there.

I am going to look at the most basic AEM one I can get, started to do some reading last night but got a bit boggled by all the jargon, I may just phone them and say..."What is the most basic one that you would recommend for my application!?"
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
510-Trevor
Supporter

Post by 510-Trevor »

Need to get the daily into the garage so I can swap the winter wheels/tires onto it which gave me an excuse to take the 510 out for what will probably the last shake out run before winter.

It sure looks tiny next to the daily.
Attachments
scale of things.jpg
scale of things.jpg (422.2 KiB) Viewed 5573 times
1972 Yellow 4dr
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

It looks so wee next to that white land yacht.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Even my G35 is way larger than the 510
Attachments
IMGP1636 (Large).jpeg
IMGP1636 (Large).jpeg (660.55 KiB) Viewed 5561 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

well did this a few weeks back but i didn't have pics, thanks to keith from our last drive here are some pics. got front bumper on and also right side door mirror.
The attachment IMGP5382 (Large).jpeg is no longer available
The attachment IMGP5383 (Large).jpeg is no longer available
IMGP5382 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5382 (Large).jpeg (447.91 KiB) Viewed 5410 times
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Well last week I finally got one of my 510’s that is all apart attached to the rotisserie I bought earlier this year.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Yesterday I had my final drive of the year, over to Andy's and back for winter storage. Car sure did not like the cold weather without carb and manifold heat.

What a beautiful day once it warmed up, fall colours are fantastic now.

Changed oil and filter which is a process on my car. Did a good nut and bolt check, all was good, nothing was loose at all. Gave all my ball joints and half shaft universals a shot of grease. I did a lap on the oil pan bolts, all good there, no leaks.

I did find my left front wheel bearing a gnats eyebrow loose so I did tighten that up.

I also go around and do a "bang and bump" test, to see if I can isolate a vibration or rattle issue. I did find that two of my brake lines on the firewall were rubbing and hence a vibration resonance at 4,000 RPM. That will get fixed over the winter. My back panel where the rear seat was goes through a resonance too, so that will get a few small pieces of hose siliconed on the aluminum edges. It is always amazing how the slightest rattle or vibration can be so loud at times. Does not help in my car that everything is solid and no interior.

Tires are good for another season, did not do any real hard miles this season.

Only real issue to be addressed with be my wideband, whether I try to fix/diagnose my existing on or, get a new one. I'm leaning to the latter as I have had too many small issues with the Innovate over time.

And lastly, in the spring hope to get those good headlights in which will make the early starts that much safer on the back roads.

Keith Law
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Been driving the 72 and 70 2 door 510's when it's dry and while on vac last week I got a 72 2 door mounted on a rotisserie.

cartel

Post by cartel »

New seats arrived!

Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Got to clean off some more of the undercoat on the blue 2 door yesterday and today.
cartel

Post by cartel »

Mocked up 2" thick cx racing intercooler after changing both inlets to the sides to make space for larger rad.. all because i wasnt too fond of the way their rad looked.

Image.

Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Little more cleaning under the 2 door that's all apart.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

Got most all the undercoat off the 72 sedan, and received this

Thanks Baz and Tracy.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

With this crazy cold that has hit us I went over to my garage a few days ago to check my anti-freeze level.

I run a very thin mix to help with heat transfer. It was ok for the -9 C. (21 F.) we have been getting the last few days. It was just hitting 39 F. when I left the garage. I was going to try to start the car but I am going to wait till it warms up a bit more.

I have 20/50 race oil in there so cranking could be an issue.

I did get the car on jack stands so the tires do not get a flat spot.
Attachments
IMGP5552 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5552 (Large).jpeg (193.07 KiB) Viewed 4539 times
IMGP5551 (Large).jpeg
IMGP5551 (Large).jpeg (398.8 KiB) Viewed 4539 times

Keith Law