What did you do on your 510 today?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Byron510

Re: What did you do on your 510 today?

Post by Byron510 »

qwik510 wrote:
Dimebag wrote:I took my heater control panel to a guy I know with a CNC to find out about getting a new one cut out of some kind of clear/translucent plastic to make a new custom illuminated panel. I hate how it's not lit.

Then I had a new key cut. It works great in the ignition but when I went to lock the door it turned and then got very stuck. I honestly did not think I would get it to turn back to center to release the key, but eventually I worked it and got the key out if the door.

IIRC, the 73 heater control is illuminated. Seems like an easy fix. I have one somewhere. I need to di it out and look. My memory isn't what it used to be :shock:
I've also got one of there somewhere in my pile O crap. They are hard to come by - true 73 cars that is that have these illuminated heater controls and back light wiper/washer knobs.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Dimebag

Post by Dimebag »

goichi1 wrote:if you get the heater control figured out, tell him to make two, I want one!!
Sorry Rich, not likely to happen. You know, it doesn't seem to be a lot of work - 4 hours to get a 3D model plotted into a computer plus 1.5 hours on the table, but at $150/hour it gets out of control really fast.
John Thiessen
72 Wagon
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

qwik510 wrote:I bought another one :mrgreen:

It's a parts car :(

I will pick it up later this week. Pics to come.

Here is a picture of my new parts car. I brought it home today. It had 4 flat tires and the rear brakes were locked up so I pulled the wheels off, removed the drums and pulled out the brake shoes. Then I pul on some new wheels so it could be rolled around.

Here it is.

Lots more pics and the story about this car here:

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=13014
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
gokiburix

Post by gokiburix »

I spent some time making my grill nice and shiny :)
pics:
Before
After
Before
After
headlight surround before:
headlight surround in progress:

SHINY! :D
DryHeat
Supporter

Post by DryHeat »

Started it to go for a ride to pick up my new swastika wheels and fried some wiring under the dash. :shock:
Jim Graham
71 Plum Crazy Wagon
dp61

Post by dp61 »

Well sort of what I did 510 related today anyways....I made a wrong turn in a neighbourhood I've frequented for years and all of a sudden there was a 72 2 door in a carport that looked like it had been sitting for years. Couldn't resist so turned around and knocked on the door, waited a while and as I was about to turn away I heard the door crack open and an old fellow asked what I wanted. When I asked about the Datsun his eyes lit up and he went into a long story about how his mom bought it new at Brasso and drove it til she passed away...we exchanged numbers as he wants to sell but not sure on a price. Will post more if I can secure the deal...
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Cool stuff Dave, keep us posted, love to hear stories like this.

I worked on my second attempt at a surge tank for the Bronze. My first attempt at aluminum welding wasn't so good on the first one, so over the last couple weeks I've been laying beads whenever I have a chance to jump on the TIG machine on scraps I cut up in the table saw. And this afternoon I took an hour to cut out the better engineered attempt at a surge tank and was going to take it to someone else... then I said to hell with it and just started laying beads around the thing. It won't be to the standards of my buddy Seans’ welding, but it'll be done! Got half way around the thing today, test fit it in the car tonight and it looks good. (I'm putting it right behind the RH strut tower against the inner fender where the headlight and horn relays would normally be; they got relocated years ago under the dash to clean up the engine compartment).
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I cleaned and re-arranged my garage today so I can get to my Bluebird..maybe do something to it tomorrow.
gokiburix

Post by gokiburix »

Custom Grill
my dog giving the final inspection
:)
(sorry for the poor quality cellphone pics)
S15DET
Supporter

Post by S15DET »

CV joints fell apart again this past Wednesday. Pushed the car back to my in-laws house. Reassembled the CV Thursday, and it immediately came apart in teh driveway. Did it again today with the same result. The driveshaft shop is throwing in the towel on my axles and are making a whole new set this time with four new CV's with a different design inner. Good support from thedriveshaftshop.com
Xtek

Post by Xtek »

Dropped rear Subframe from one car and installed it to another. Now The car Rolls again
69 2dr 5spd 510
84 Dr30 Skyline
97 Subaru Impreza OBS
93 Subaru Impreza
83 Vw Rabbit diesel
05 Ford Focus
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Today I worked on some Rustproofing on the front floorboards.

I removed the remaining tar pad, used a wire wheel on my drill to remove the loose stuff and applied 2 coats of Zero Rust. I will need to cut and patch a few small spots but this should hold it for now.

Bad Cell Phine Pics:

Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I drove my 510 today, in wonderful sunshine today on the coast. Stark contrast to Alberta, which I beleive had up to 15 CM of snow!

Cruised over to Jason's. Thanks guys for the hand with the awning stuff, my Boler will be much the better for that after this next winter.

Then did a quick cruise around, doing some testing on my top secret project, which is now done! :twisted: :wink:

Thanks to Byron also, for the dash piece, I can work on that during the winter, to put in my dual temp gauges.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
jason
Supporter

Post by jason »

I lost my clutch last night on the way home, a little disconcerting. Pulled out the slave and installed a new one this morning and gravity bled it with ½ litre of fluid. Works again yeah!
Jason
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Changed my oil with 15/50 Mobil 1 synthetic and an Amsoil filter....a $53 oil change. :?
Also swapped out my 60 idle jets for some 65's to get rid of a slight transition stumble.