whoa Tokyo!

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
merlin
Supporter

whoa Tokyo!

Post by merlin » 14 Dec 2010 17:44

Don't want to Jinx this too badly, but my request for a press pass to Nissan's DNA garage, engine museum, etc. seems to be in the works for the next 2 weeks ... hence I'll likely be in Tokyo for 10 days over Christmas and New Years "on assignment" for NissanSport magazine...

Those that have been, pipe up with cool things to see, both car and noncar... places you've stayed, etc...

Merlin
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"

butters68
Supporter

Re: whoa Tokyo!

Post by butters68 » 14 Dec 2010 17:51

pick me up a 68 heater valve please. :mrgreen:
ding ding dong dong all night long long.

merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin » 14 Dec 2010 18:00

butters68 wrote:pick me up a 68 heater valve please. :mrgreen:
cheese eating bastid... you need one? i think i have a couple spares... used of course, but functioning.

butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 » 14 Dec 2010 18:34

ya butters didn't have one, and the one i have now is the later one.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.

Xtek

Post by Xtek » 14 Dec 2010 19:22

Disneyland (Disney Sea) in Japan has a really Sweet Fire and water Show.....It kicked @ss
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B7S5_x_fdM0
Think the best Times I had there where Just Wandering Around
Akihabara At Night is All Lit Up and see lots of sweet cars Drive By
69 2dr 5spd 510
84 Dr30 Skyline
97 Subaru Impreza OBS
93 Subaru Impreza
83 Vw Rabbit diesel
05 Ford Focus

spriso

Post by spriso » 14 Dec 2010 19:46

I visited the Nissan collection at Zama in 2002. It is overwhelming-- really, it will make your head spin.

My advice to you is to take as high quality camera as you can with a good wide angle lens. Be sure to take a tripod (this is a MUST!) as the lighting in the warehouse is not that good. We had about 2-hours in the building and did not even come close to seeing it all, and from the photos I have seen, they have greatly expanded the collection since then. Zama is the former factory where they used to build Nissan Sunny's, and it is a really interesting place.

Have fun, take a million photos, be considerate of your host's time... you could spend weeks in there and not see it all.

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com

merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin » 14 Dec 2010 21:00

spriso wrote:I visited the Nissan collection at Zama in 2002. It is overwhelming-- really, it will make your head spin.

My advice to you is to take as high quality camera as you can with a good wide angle lens. Be sure to take a tripod (this is a MUST!) as the lighting in the warehouse is not that good. We had about 2-hours in the building and did not even come close to seeing it all, and from the photos I have seen, they have greatly expanded the collection since then. Zama is the former factory where they used to build Nissan Sunny's, and it is a really interesting place.

Have fun, take a million photos, be considerate of your host's time... you could spend weeks in there and not see it all.

Michael

I remember yours and Dave C's photos from there... and I've seen some more recent ones...

When dealing with Nissan, Did you go over as "Enthusiasts" or as "Journalists"? I'm hoping to get as much time as I can in the building (two hours ain't going to cut it- i need to find a way to strectch that out....) I totally believe you on the time thing... I could spend days and days there I'm sure.

Methinks the canon EOS ain't going to cut it... upgrade time...

spriso

Post by spriso » 15 Dec 2010 03:59

Merlin,

I arranged my visit as an enthusiast (but it took months to work out), and thinking back now, we probably had more than 2-hours there-- maybe it was closer to 3-4, still nowhere near enough. Dave went about a year after I did if I remember correctly.

Some words of advice when you get to see what in my mind is one of the ultimate 510s (the East African Safari rally car): be sure to ask the docent if you can roll it forward to take photographs. When we were there, all the cars were covered by plastic car covers, and we were allowed to remove the cover and roll the car forward for a better view.

Note the extra spot welds around the strut towers, and other finishing touches that you don't normally see on production cars-- remember these were works cars that were heavily massaged by the factory, so they got lots of extra love.

The more you poke around on the car, the more you will discover, looking back at my images I kick myself for not taking 100 more, but in those days CF cards were very expensive, and my brand new 4mb camera was already getting pushed to the max.

The other cars that blew me away were the original rally cars that are all hand painted. Take good shots of the lettering and images of Mt. Fuji-- they are amazing.

Their entire collection of rally cars is amazing, again a word that is really going to be over-used when you see the place.

Manage your time well, it will be easy to spend too much time on one particular car and realize you did not see the rest!

On the camera, get as good glass as you can afford, get a good flash that matches your camera, bring a tripod, and a pad to take notes with. Again, your mind will be blown away.

I look forward to your results.... have fun. I am jealous!

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com

rnorrish

Post by rnorrish » 19 Dec 2010 02:09

let me know if you need to borrow an extra CF card or two!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.

merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin » 19 Dec 2010 12:14

I think I may have Jinxed this... my press pass request is in some sort of limbo...

... CF cards, got lots... but was thinking of upgrading my Canon Eos xsi to a Canon D60... I just don't have $2500 to spend on camera gear right now lol! I need to get a good flash with diffuser and a stand... and I don't think my 18-55 lens is going to cut it, i might want a real wide angle...

subwoffers

Post by subwoffers » 19 Dec 2010 16:17

Hello, you can get the Sigma 10-20mm for around $450 used. Not a bad lens for that kind of money.

Or

The Tamron 17-50mm 2.8 for about $350 used. Very fast, very sharp wide.

rnorrish

Post by rnorrish » 19 Dec 2010 18:55

if we're talking gear...

for a UWA on a Canon crop sensor, my pick is the Tokina 11-16mm F2.8.
faster and some say sharper than the others - 10-22mm from Canon or Sigma.
all 3 seem to go for about the same price, give 'r take.
and you can use it on a FF camera if you ever upgrade.
though Tokina has released some new wide stuff I haven't looked at yet, including a fisheye zoom.

don't worry about the camera, it's the glass that makes or breaks IQ.
I thought my Rebel was terrible until I used am 'L' lens...

and instead of buying:
www.lensrentalscanada.com
i used them a couple of weeks ago and was very happy with the service.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.

merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin » 19 Dec 2010 19:45

Yah i was reading up on wide angles- i looked at the Canon and the Sigma online... i think i'll go see what London Drugs in Kamloops has, and the other big camera shop there.. i might as well buy one as I need one for work and I'll just write it off anyways lol!.

i hope i get some good news tomorrow ... it would suck to have to cancel.

Benzo

Post by Benzo » 25 Dec 2010 02:17

Merlin

If I am reading this right you are going to be in Tokyo? you are looking for places to see car and non car related? if so these are things I like

Shibuya for shopping and night life. that's if you like nightlife
Good Tonkatsu at Maisen near Omotosando. get the Tokyo X dish and unfiltered apple juice
Another good Tonkatsu place is in the corredo mall in Nihombashi station on like the 4th floor there are a bunch of restaurants. i can dig up the name I just have to find the business card
Ramen in Nihombashi station in tokyo ramen street, Get Rokurinsha Tsukemen. Go early or have for breakfast as by 10 am a line will form and the wait can be a hour or more for lunch, there is another place next to it that has lobster broth ramen. this place is good also
I like bike stores if you are into that. i like W base in Shibuya just off the Meiji Dori headed toward Harajuku. Also on the way is Geek Garage/Dept.
Harajuku for the wild clothes on kids and all the clothing stores out there on all the side streets.
Go to Yokohama if you can and see Refresh60 for Datsun 510 parts and while out that way go to Yokohama chinatown and get some shark fin ramen
There is more but it would go on for a bit. if you want I can email you. Message me your email

Benzo