Post a pic of your Dime.

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
spriso

Re: Post a pic of your Dime.

Post by spriso »

But I'm still wondering why he'd pay Mario $$$$$$ to chop up two valve covers to make one when one of the chopped up covers being original would have been just fine, I mean talk about a waste of money, unless there something in the valve train requiring the S14 hump but I doubt it.
Cmac covered it quite well, but I will elaborate a bit more.

The S13 engines have a catch can on the side of the cylinder head which can get in the way of downpipes or other components on an engine swap. Nissan realized that they could get rid of that catch can on the later SR20-series engines and "humped" the rear of the valve cover to build in an internal baffle. Since the S14/S15 series engines have a variable valve timing, they have an additional kick out on the front of the valve cover to accommodate that on the front of the intake camshaft-- but that makes it so that valve cover won't bolt onto a S13 engine.

To get rid of the S13's side mounted catch can and take advantage of the better packaging that the S14/S15 valve cover offers, a "Hybrid" valve cover is made-- weld on the front of the S13 valve cover to the back half of the S14/S15 valve cover and you get the best of both worlds.

This link shows the process well: http://tougefactory.com/shop/2014/12/se ... lve-cover/

We have done this conversion on S13 engines and it works great!

Hope this helps,

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
mattyhacks71

Post by mattyhacks71 »

Three B's Racing wrote:
mattyhacks71 wrote:
Three B's Racing wrote:The one thing I don't ubnderstand is why Mario took an S14 valve cover, chopped off the front of it and welded in an S13 front section when the original S13 valve cover would have been just fine. Can anyone explain this?
I'd rather someone explain why he's asking 30k for an unpainted car... lol
Well, I can tell you this, that 510 has all Mario components and as we know Mario's work/parts are very very expensive aside from the quality it's pricey. So I'd say for his asking price though it does say negotiable, ugly body and paint rust ect; he's looking to recover his investment. Can't fault the guy for trying. But I'm still wondering why he'd pay Mario $$$$$$ to chop up two valve covers to make one when one of the chopped up covers being original would have been just fine, I mean talk about a waste of money, unless there something in the valve train requiring the S14 hump but I doubt it.
Who the heck is gonna pay what someone has into a car though? No one builds anything thinking they'll get their money back out of it :P
In terms of that guys labor, at work I'm $130 /hr plus tax, so my car must be worth atleat 100k :lol:
ssjanz

Post by ssjanz »

1973 -- 52k miles -- 305 swap in 1989

Bought from a good friend in Manitoba (always in climate controlled storage) - now lives in the southern interior of BC...
Attachments
IMG_5491.jpg
IMG_5491.jpg (186.52 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
IMG_5489-02.jpg
IMG_5489-02.jpg (643.51 KiB) Viewed 6969 times
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Beautiful car, welcome to the site.

What is your serial number if you do not mind. I have a 73' which at this point has been the youngest car logged at this site. There are very few true 73's.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Bad ass V8 ride!

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

spriso wrote:
But I'm still wondering why he'd pay Mario $$$$$$ to chop up two valve covers to make one when one of the chopped up covers being original would have been just fine, I mean talk about a waste of money, unless there something in the valve train requiring the S14 hump but I doubt it.
Cmac covered it quite well, but I will elaborate a bit more.

The S13 engines have a catch can on the side of the cylinder head which can get in the way of downpipes or other components on an engine swap. Nissan realized that they could get rid of that catch can on the later SR20-series engines and "humped" the rear of the valve cover to build in an internal baffle. Since the S14/S15 series engines have a variable valve timing, they have an additional kick out on the front of the valve cover to accommodate that on the front of the intake camshaft-- but that makes it so that valve cover won't bolt onto a S13 engine.

To get rid of the S13's side mounted catch can and take advantage of the better packaging that the S14/S15 valve cover offers, a "Hybrid" valve cover is made-- weld on the front of the S13 valve cover to the back half of the S14/S15 valve cover and you get the best of both worlds.

This link shows the process well: http://tougefactory.com/shop/2014/12/se ... lve-cover/

We have done this conversion on S13 engines and it works great!

Hope this helps,

Michael
Didn't know that thanks CMAC and Michael. Costly VC yet the owner still has a catch can. I mean you think the cost of that conversion vs. the cost of a catch can justifies the means? Most S13 runners simply remove OEM catch can and move it or replace with aftermarket. But that's some excellent info thanks.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
ssjanz

Post by ssjanz »

bertvorgon wrote:Beautiful car, welcome to the site.

What is your serial number if you do not mind. I have a 73' which at this point has been the youngest car logged at this site. There are very few true 73's.

Here's the VIN: PL510434035

Could you explain how the serial # breaks down?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

WOW...you now have OFFICIALLY the youngest 510 on this site to date...Damn..I never did get my cheque.

My Serial Number is 433928. Made in January of 73'. Your car was made not long after mine.

What is really cool is that you are also in B.C.

Byron will update our list when he gets a chance.

Click on this link to the thread:

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=4901

Nothing magic with the numbers, just a rising series that ended sometime in early 1973, there should be a production date on the door jamb also, maybe post that up also.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
ssjanz

Post by ssjanz »

Cool - thanks bertvorgon... maybe we can connect sometime when I'm in the Lower Mainland.

I'll take a picture of the doorjamb tomorrow.
ssjanz

Post by ssjanz »

SO... here it is (it was a tad dark in the shop when I took this picture, I can post a better one later sometime).

Build date is 1/73

The last number is actually a 9 not a 5 (434039)
Attachments
MUSTARD VIN 03.jpg
MUSTARD VIN 03.jpg (563.99 KiB) Viewed 6812 times
MUSTARD VIN 02jpg.jpg
MUSTARD VIN 02jpg.jpg (619.82 KiB) Viewed 6814 times
Ozzy510

Post by Ozzy510 »

My 1971 5dime
Attachments
20170103_160440.png
20170103_160440.png (557.36 KiB) Viewed 6792 times
mattyhacks71

Post by mattyhacks71 »

Insured and back on the road with updated ride height
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Nice Yosh can.

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
mattyhacks71

Post by mattyhacks71 »

McShagger510 wrote:Nice Yosh can.

James
It gives a decent rasp
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXyv0N_Q3FI
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

Trying something different this weekend. Signed up with a buddy to enter something (boon doggle?) called the "Royal Rally"
IMG_2745.JPG
IMG_2745.JPG (344.06 KiB) Viewed 6347 times
It's kind of a scavenger hunt for rich folks as most of the cars are exotics and fancy ass dolled up BMW's and the like. I think it's a dang excuse for them to actually drive their cars instead of washing them and adding toys and ironing boards to the trunks.

Anyway, seems like it will be a fun excuse to drive to Revelstoke and back.