Post a pic of your Dime.

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
510wizard
Supporter

Re: Post a pic of your Dime.

Post by 510wizard »

I'll probably get disagreements on this, but I am firm believer that a non modified stock car in the long run is going to be worth more than a modified one (unless it's done to very high professional standards) . I have seen this happening in the early Land cruiser market, because most are modified, the stock ones are rare and have increased dramatically in value. So my recommendation long view is, don't do any thing that can't be reverted back to stock. A very nice stock example!
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

I am in agreement on that. I suppose my question is more accurately interpreted as, "which car am I going to mod since I can't mod this one?" I love the car, but I feel like the originality is wasted on someone like me who'd like to have a real driver. Anyone want to trade? And I mean that semi-seriously. I'm considering posting an open trade thread just to see if there's anyone out there with a good trade offer.

When I bought the car it was dark out, I had taken off work and made a rush 2 hr drive with little heads up to getthe car. I knew I had to have it and that it was uniquely preserved, but there was no way I could have realized what I was getting. I'm afraid to damage it!
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

I'm definitely motivated to make sure this piece of history is preserved and would love to work with someone in a position to preserve it to make that happen. Obviously I'm not going to give it away, though ;)
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I would agree with Monte that an unmodified 510 is the best bet long haul now. Like the Landcruisers, how many stock 510's are left?
Most have had engine swaps, which means many things were altered to the point of not going back to stock. Suspension mods often take modification fo the chassis. I can't count how many strut towers I have modified for camber plates for instance.How about 5 spd conversions - lots of new holes in the floor. Most guys have changed their seats, so those stock brackets are long gone. Over the last few years guys have requested these and they are actually hard to find. How about the front splash pan? Likely got removed at the first oil change and never put back on. Lots of details like this.

Anything can be undone, but few things are in reality.

15 years a go a flared car wold outsell a non-flared car 2:1 at twice the value. Today, that's already not the case, even on a modified car. (and I own a flared car).

In the end, I do agree with Monte; an L series car that is all original is fetching a good price these days, higher than many mildly modified cars, simply because it's becoming a collector car in it's original form and being appreciated for what it was in stock form, as well as modified. However a good modified car will also hold it's value well due to the 510's motorsport heritage. It was a very well loved club racer for many years in many different disciplines. Both examples of well done stock and modified 510's have sold lately, and no one can argue that the PL510 value is just increasing now at an amazing rate, because there just are not that many left.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I'm sure no one here is building/preserving their 510 for retirement funds? Do what you like and enjoy the car for what is has become, an extension of yourself. My 510 is modified to my wants and at my age is simply a toy to enjoy. I could care less what $$$ it will bring at that point in my life when I can no longer drive or work on it and decide to sell it. But at that point it'll either go to my son or one of my grand sons<--they can fight over it but my grand daughter if exactly like my daughter will beat them both for it, or I sell it and buy a rocket powered wheel chair for two 8>)
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Three B's Racing wrote:I'm sure no one here is building/preserving their 510 for retirement funds? Do what you like and enjoy the car for what is has become, an extension of yourself. My 510 is modified to my wants and at my age is simply a toy to enjoy. I could care less what $$$ it will bring at that point in my life when I can no longer drive or work on it and decide to sell it. But at that point it'll either go to my son or one of my grand sons<--they can fight over it but my grand daughter if exactly like my daughter will beat them both for it, or I sell it and buy a rocket powered wheel chair for two 8>)
So, I'm on the same page with you, however, if you do have a bone stocker like I've got (which most of us won't have to "worry" about anyway), I feel as though you ought to put the stocker in the hands of someone who will appreciate and preserve it and find an alternative starting point for your modification journey. It's not like a perfect factory stock 510 makes for a better experience than one that might have some modifications prior to your ownership. Then again, anyone with a stocker says "go for it", it only makes theirs more rare ;)
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Speaking of preservation, I bought a stock tach a little while back, does anyone believe the addition of a tach would be a violation of the preservation factor? It's currently tachless, and I haven't decided whether to tackle that.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

DonnieDatsun wrote:Speaking of preservation, I bought a stock tach a little while back, does anyone believe the addition of a tach would be a violation of the preservation factor? It's currently tachless, and I haven't decided whether to tackle that.
Any added item that was available from the factory at the time the car sold can only add value to the car - certainly install the tach!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Any added item that was available from the factory at the time the car sold can only add value to the car - certainly install the tach!

Byron
Byron,

That's a good way to put it. I think I will! (When I find the time).
Robb

Post by Robb »

qwik510 wrote:Well this is recent work but not all today.

Had the car professionally buffed and polished. Nice to see the original paint shine so nicely.

Also installed my 68 Grill and a pair of NOS 68 headlight surrounds.

Getting ready for the SPEC510 Meet next month.

Showroom clean.
iceD

Post by iceD »

Pretty sure this is my old race car. It has had some upgrades and some downgrades. Those jacking point are by Byron and his dad and quite a lot of work has been done by the guys I sold it to. I tried to buy it back 4 years ago and at that time they told me they had painted it yellow and it had not turned a wheel in anger since I delivered it to Chicago in 1999. IMO a great starting point at a fair price.

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Datsun-510-/2822 ... Swal5YC9D1

ice D
PoorMtnKid
Supporter

Post by PoorMtnKid »

Over the weekend a friend and I arranged a "shoot". Another friend of mine lives all the way east in Las Vegas and this is the view from his neighbors backyard. The first time I was in the yard I told his neighbor I would like to get a photo of my car and the view, when he replied "go for it" I took him seriously lol.

looking for pass. side arm rest
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

Awesome looking car PMK. What are the technical specs on the wheels you're running?
510wizard
Supporter

Post by 510wizard »

Great picture of Vegas at night, added plus is your 510. I can see the Ferris wheel at the Linq.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Commercial break - Now that you mention it, I can see the Big Shot at the Stratosphere! That was fun.

I like the first picture - the car looks very grand.