Targa Newfoundland Update

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Targa Newfoundland Update

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Derek Young ... who frequents this board ... is entered in this year's Targa with his dad. Here's an update on how their first day went.

Sept. 14 - St. John's, NF: "The popular 1990 Caterham Super Seven, driven by Neil Young and Derek Young, ended the day in disappointment with engine failure, but they promise to be back tomorrow."

And another comment he made that was in the press release for the day.

"We had our umbrella out a few times. It’s only our low speed roof. Fortunately, we haven’t had to resort to putting the real hood on."
Derek Young, co-driver of car #711, 1990 Cateram Super Seven, at the lunch break.
rnorrish

Re: Targa Newfoundland Update

Post by rnorrish »

RWD_NissanMan wrote:"We had our umbrella out a few times. It’s only our low speed roof. Fortunately, we haven’t had to resort to putting the real hood on."
Derek Young, co-driver of car #711, 1990 Cateram Super Seven, at the lunch break.
Is this a misquote? Or is Derek getting body panels confused?
Besides, isn't a bonnet on those, not a hood?

It's unfortunate to here of the failure, but good to hear they'll return! Here's to no sleep in the effort to keep on racin'!
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Comments heard from the Lotus paddock...

"Oh, Nigel, be the dashing gentleman you are and kindly pass me the copper hammer for releasing the splendid little hub nut on knock-off would you? I can't get this blasted thing off for the life of the Queen (God bless her wonderful soul while I'm as it"

"Of course I will you silly man, Tad!!! Guffaw! Guffaw! Guffaw!"

"Brilliant! I think that should hold us until at least tea-time for scrumpets with Muffy and dear old Jane"

"Oh I can't wait, it's going to be marevlous, just like this new Lucas alternator I just installed"

"Oh dear, the blasted starter seems to have failed. See if you can rile up a few of the local peasants to give us a knudge-start."

"You are so brilliant. Guffaw! Guffaw! Guffaw"

"Don't forget your tweed cap, old chap!"

...and they all guffawed happily ever after

(sorry, it's just my running joke about the English sports-car "gentry" and their tweeds and things like that)

I really do hope Derek and his dad do well, and either way, they will have lots of fun :-)
dynobones

Post by dynobones »

bloody L , somebodies pinched me spannah.
I'm smiling because I have no idea what is going on.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Oh dear, I hope it wasn't your 5/17ths British Whitworth wrech - that one was a gem
Derek

Post by Derek »

Just got back from the rally -- it was nearly the most intense week of my life, second only to the stretch at work leading up to me leaving for the race, oddly enough. I have a hundred and one stories to remember and write down, and am waiting on getting my video footage back to do an online post journal to cover my Targa experience.

That first quote wasn't really a motor failure, just a distributer cap -- we had a spare, but we got it while the car was being shipped, and it turned out that Caterham USA sent us the wrong cap. The incredible story of how we got the car running again will be explained later.

Here's a couple photos of the car after the 2nd last stage of the rally (out of 39) in Salmonaire, Newfoundland immediatley after blowing its second headgasket in 3 days. Needless to say, we didn't win. The highs were high, but the lows were very low and much more frequent (likened to a "repeated ball kicking" by my brother who did very well placing 2nd in the touring division in his 350Z, and helped team Datsun/Infiniti/Nissan win the "Kenzie Cup" for manufacturers).

At speed on a typical stage:

As an aside, the highlight of my week came after the rally at a charity auto-x yesterday in St Johns. People would pay $5-$10 to ride in the targa cars around a small course. My brother's co-driver let me use his WRX STI (it wasn't in the Targa, but we were down a car, so they didn't seem to care), and I managed to post faster times than the Subaru pro-rally guys in their 400 hp STI. That being said, pushing a 300hp 4WD car in the pouring rain is a BLAST. Too bad for me, that Judd Buchanan has godly driving skills and bested us 4WD'ers in his 67 Acadian -- even in the wet -- and captured FTD. At least I was the fastest co-driver there, and got the attention of the Subie crew chief :)

I could go on forever here, but I won't... It was truely an endurance event in every sense of the word, and an incredible adventure and massive challenge.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Awesome Derek! Be sure to let us know when you get more stories and pictures and video's online!
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Fantastic pics Derek - and glad you enjoyed it despite some setbacks - more incentive to go again next year! I am FOR SURE going to be entering my 510 in next year's event. I have been able to get a couple of good track days in and the sorting is coming along nicely - got the handling fairly neutral now. This winter I'm stripping it all down again to finish off the bodywork and paint it. I don't think anyone has entered a dime yet, maybe I'll be the first.
rnorrish

Post by rnorrish »

Amazing! That sounds like something you should never forget.
I'll have to buy you a couple beers next time I'm in town to here the rest of the stories.

very jealous, by the way.
richard norrish
'68 'goon resto / '71 ice racer / '72 'goon project / '70 4-door rust pile / '67 520 project
----------------------------------------------------------------------
shardik wrote: My swap will be made of solid gold and it will run on puppy farts.
RWD_NissanMan
Supporter

Post by RWD_NissanMan »

Hey Derek,

I'm going over to your Dad's place Monday night to drink beer and look at some of the videos from this year's Targa. Looks like it was a lot of fun - have you any more stories for us??