Another 510 Wagon saved!

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Byron510

Another 510 Wagon saved!

Post by Byron510 »

Well, I'm happy to announce that another 510 has been saved from the scrapper. As some of you may know, I bought the light yellow 510 wagon from Jon B. a few weeks ago. Well, as you may also recall, there was absolutely nothing supporting the TC rod on the passenger side; read, totally rotted away from the bottom of the rad support, back to the sway bar and up to the base of the battery tray!
Closer inspection revealed why this car rotted so badly in just one area, while the rest of the car seemed to be in fairly good shape (rust wise). There had been front-end damage on that corner, and it would appear that the fix was to smear bondo over all the wrinkles, and replace the outer bodywork. Nice insurance claim - kind of reminds me of that W-5 report recently posted here. Anyways, by the time I got finished cutting all the affected cancer away, I was left with a fairly good-sized hole. But I did manage to form and fabricate all the necessary pieces in 18 gage sheet metal an brought it back to better than new, at least on that corner anyway. I took photo's, I'll post them when ever they get developed. Another 510 successfully save, and my wife will soon be driving it - her first 510!
D510

Post by D510 »

sweet dude! its always great to hear of another 510 being saved. i'm glad its a wagon too i never see those around.
-1988 Red Jaguar Solvereign, Cold Airintake, Exhaust, Tint, Alpine Sound System.
-1972 Black 2dr Datsun 510, slammed with Built L20B
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

Yes, it's very nice to hear of another dime rollin' around. They are so hard to come by, and hopefully this epidemic of "Save the Dimes" will spread to other's as well!

Wagon... they are like the most common 510 availiable, though. I wish there could've been a 2 door or 4-door saved, as opposed to a wagon. BUT! It's a 510, and that's all the matters.

What is the year on that, Byron? How's the interior?
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

When that wagon sat in my yard I had thought it was a keeper. I figured Jon could bring it back. I am glad to hear someone could fix it right with out spending a bundle. Byron put a 32/36 webber on it and a electronic dizzy so it will run right for the new driver. We sometimes put up with a 510 running a bit rough. I will bet your wife might not be so forgiving. I know mine was not.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Actually Jon installed the electronic ignition - one less task for me. But I really need to clean up the electrical a bit. Someone has wired in a relay to the ignition and mounted it above the coil. I really haven't looked at it that hard, but Murphy has that the more connections you have, the more problems that may occur. I installed an old 32/36 that I had laying around with an offenhauser duel plane intake manifold. I just like the fact that there is an "Offy" part on a 510!

As for Artika - interior is improving. My wife, Joyce, installed (by her self) a new and faultless (pun intended) dash pad, and also painted the fenders and valence panel while I was busy doing the metal work this weekend. It's a family affair as it were. Joyce is actually quite excited about having her own car. The rest of the interior is in fair to good condition, with exception going to the carpet - as Joyce said it" definitely needs to be replaced"!!
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Post by Guest »

Byron510 wrote:Actually Jon installed the electronic ignition - one less task for me. But I really need to clean up the electrical a bit. Someone has wired in a relay to the ignition and mounted it above the coil. I really haven't looked at it that hard, but Murphy has that the more connections you have, the more problems that may occur. I installed an old 32/36 that I had laying around with an offenhauser duel plane intake manifold. I just like the fact that there is an "Offy" part on a 510!

As for Artika - interior is improving. My wife, Joyce, installed (by her self) a new and faultless (pun intended) dash pad, and also painted the fenders and valence panel while I was busy doing the metal work this weekend. It's a family affair as it were. Joyce is actually quite excited about having her own car. The rest of the interior is in fair to good condition, with exception going to the carpet - as Joyce said it" definitely needs to be replaced"!!
Awwwww Byron you two are soo cuuuuteee :roll: hehe

But seriously thats good to know you got it back together and that she is going to be driving a 510. Does she realize she is going to have to come to the meetings and shows now? ;-)
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

errr thats me above...
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Does anyone have a photo of the TC rod hanging in space when Jon owned the wagon?? I thought I saw a photo of it, and the huge hole above it!!
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

Thats great to hear. I just replaced both rear quarters, tail light panel, lower rear valence, both rockers, and both wheel arches, and both dog legs on my 4dr.............man it was a lot of work..........BLK68510 (Ray) thanks for your help on Sunday, we got all done except for a 6" piece of the passenger front rocker. Next weekend and about 4 hours should cover it. Now its seam seal time ! I used 2 tubes already on the trunk ! Man that stuff is expensive !
Blk68510

Post by Blk68510 »

Thats great to hear. I just replaced both rear quarters, tail light panel, lower rear valence, both rockers, and both wheel arches, and both dog legs on my 4dr.............man it was a lot of work..........BLK68510 (Ray) thanks for your help on Sunday, we got all done except for a 6" piece of the passenger front rocker. Next weekend and about 4 hours should cover it. Now its seam seal time ! I used 2 tubes already on the trunk ! Man that stuff is expensive !

Great to hear andy! So same time next weekend? :D

Post by Guest »

Blk68510 wrote:

I'll let you know, we may be there on Saturday. But they are predicting rain......and with no back window or side vents, and raw bondo..........i won't be driving anywhere if its liquid sunshine ! Still searching for a glass hood and tail lights.
ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 »

Anonymous wrote:
Blk68510 wrote:

I'll let you know, we may be there on Saturday. But they are predicting rain......and with no back window or side vents, and raw bondo..........i won't be driving anywhere if its liquid sunshine ! Still searching for a glass hood and tail lights.
Crap.....i did it again !
GrahamBCZ

Post by GrahamBCZ »

ajen68510 wrote:Thats great to hear. I just replaced both rear quarters, tail light panel, lower rear valence, both rockers, and both wheel arches, and both dog legs on my 4dr.............man it was a lot of work..........BLK68510 (Ray) thanks for your help on Sunday, we got all done except for a 6" piece of the passenger front rocker. Next weekend and about 4 hours should cover it. Now its seam seal time ! I used 2 tubes already on the trunk ! Man that stuff is expensive !
Gee, thanks for the honorable mention there pussnuts ! I'm not playing anymore !
Oh BTW, Ray, I definatly want those rockers we were talking about. I also need a thermostat housing and cover as well as the fitting for the right side rad hose to timming cover. I have a box of them somewhere but I'll be buggered if I can find them now that I need them, same old same old !
Blk68510

Post by Blk68510 »

hey graham email or give me a ring when you want to come over and get the parts
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

hey hey now...what kind of shady deals are going on here....:-P