Nissan IDx 10 concept is the new 510/Bluebird Coupe

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
RonM
Supporter

Nissan IDx 10 concept is the new 510/Bluebird Coupe

Post by RonM » 20 Nov 2013 00:17

How many times have we said, Damn, I wish Nissan would get off their ass and A. build a stripped down RWD sport sadan, and B. capitalize on the 510's race heritage. Well, like it or not, it looks like Nissan is jumping on the nostalgia reproduction band wagon.

http://youtu.be/Soi_MI-jP7s

These concept cars are just that, concepts. Who knows if they'll go into production, and if so, what they'll actually look like. It's obvious Nissan is drawing on the 510 and Bluebird Coupe in designing these concepts; with the basic box body shape (though distorted all to hell), the vents on the rear pillar, the dual headlights and horizontal line grill on the cream car, and the BRE stripes and hood mirrors on the other. The hap hazard mashup of these iconic Dime/Coupe visual cues plays off like cheep design gimmicks without the sonic line to hold it together. That simple line is the distinctive soul of the classic 510 and Bluebird Coupe, without it these cars look oafish and clumsy. Seriously dropped the ball with that detail IMO.

If you want to comment on this design you can reply on the Japanese Nostalgic Car's article on this concept.http://japanesenostalgiccar.com/2013/11 ... is-reborn/
Sometimes people loose touch with subjectivity, because they've got they're heads stuck too far up they're own,,, Reality.

bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Nissan IDx 10 concept is the new 510/Bluebird Coupe

Post by bertvorgon » 20 Nov 2013 05:23

That's ugly as crap, another "bean" car look...what the hell are the Nissan guys thinking..oh...they are the same guys that designed the Juke afterall. BLECH!

Looks like a Celica crashed into a Toyota FRS.

There was a drawing on this site, that really captured what a modern 510 should look like. Maybe somebody can find that and re-post the thread.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 20 Nov 2013 06:00

Yeah, the NEO-510 was already drawn up for Nissan, all they had to do was build it.

Nothing appealing to me about the concept shown above. And it will look 100% more bland if it ever reaches production.

Remains to be seen what it will actually look like, drive like, or be priced at. But if the suggested $25K price is anything to go by, they're going to miss the mark in more than one way. For it to be the 510 reborn, it'd have to be <$20K. $25K in today's money gets me an FR-S (which isn't pretty, but isn't ugly), or a WRX (which is ugly, but insanely fast for the money), among other cars.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 20 Nov 2013 06:43

Scroll up till just the roof shows and it's a Ford Probe. Those silly French I laugh in their general direction....
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon » 20 Nov 2013 06:52

I just choked on my coffee Mike, that's funny!!!

I love Monty Python and Faulty Towers.......
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

HudsonMC

Post by HudsonMC » 20 Nov 2013 09:18

I actually kind of dig the looks, but I do also see how it could be very polarizing.

I'm just really happy Nissan is acknowledging this car's importance to their heritage. I really had my finger's crossed for a retro 510, but had pretty much resigned myself to a Sylvia revival. The 510 revival blew me away.

KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA » 20 Nov 2013 09:40

Damn, why are car designers so redundant these days, fuck off, that looks like another run of the mill piece of shit design, the NEO-510 would be a slam dunk!
Diego.

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 20 Nov 2013 10:00

The good:

The bad:

The ugly:

-------------
HudsonMC wrote:I actually kind of dig the looks, but I do also see how it could be very polarizing
It'd be better if it didn't have that B-210ish c-pillar. The car shown isn't a hatchback, but it kinda looks that way. More importantly it isn't anything like a 510. It looks a lot better in the race car version with the paint scheme, but then it looks more like a Celica.
HudsonMC wrote:I'm just really happy Nissan is acknowledging this car's importance to their heritage.
It's also good to remember that NissanUSA is much different than NissanJapan. NissanUSA has proven they don't give a diddly-do about their heritage, but the Japanese are different. If they actually went through and produced this car, a four-door, and a wagon all on the same platform, they could have something (they'd almost have to to justify the money spent on the new platform). But is that six months away, six years (BRZ/FR-S was rumored from 2007), or never?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

jason
Supporter

Post by jason » 20 Nov 2013 10:52

I am not a fan of the current concept, the rear roof pillar and the forward swept front end spoil it for me ....
Jason

Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer » 20 Nov 2013 11:45

The NEO-510 looks like it's from the late 90s, maybe early 2000s, though. Even as a retro design it doesn't fit in with today's cars. I personally like the way it looks, but that doesn't mean it's relevant in today's market and unfortunately we're not a big enough community for them to pander to us. It has to appeal to other people as well.

The IDx concepts show some potential. They need to think a little harder on what they're trying to accomplish with them, though. Is it supposed to be a fun economy car like the original? Is it going to fill the silvia void and be an entry-level sports car?

They're also concept cars at this point, so the production version wouldn't be as angular and extreme. They're designed to be striking and to stir up conversation, which they have. Unfortunately, it seems like most people are very polarized about it. I'm just excited at the prospect of an entry-level, rwd Nissan.

McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked » 20 Nov 2013 12:11

Looks more like some sort of Celica/B-210 hybrid to me.

Anyway, I'm not sure I follow the logic behind their design goal, which is summarized by: "Hey, let's make a car that's interesting to people who aren't interested in cars!". I'm not kidding...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Soi_MI-jP7s

-McWicked
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.

Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer » 20 Nov 2013 12:43

Or comparing it to a pair of jeans?

andrew.lori
Supporter

Post by andrew.lori » 20 Nov 2013 13:45

I do see the similarity to a 1st Gen Celica :)
Attachments
celica.jpg
celica.jpg (116.05 KiB) Viewed 2902 times
1966 Sunbeam Tiger MK1A
1970 Datsun 510 KA24DE Street car
1973 Toyota Celica
1972 Triumph GT6 SCCA Vintage Race Car / Money Pit

RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS » 20 Nov 2013 14:20

looks way more like a celica than a 510 nissan should sell it to toyota and cut their losses
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!

icehouse

Post by icehouse » 20 Nov 2013 15:05

Me and Carter talked about it earlier. Both wondered what kinda engine motor and other swapable items it will have? Please Please something better than the QR series!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam