1972 pl510/bluebird sss/ 2dr sedan-coupe clarification help!

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
DirtyDatsun510

1972 pl510/bluebird sss/ 2dr sedan-coupe clarification help!

Post by DirtyDatsun510 »

Ok so Ive done several hours of research trying to find a clear answer usually only to find more contradictory dead ends than anything else. So hopefully y'all can help me figure out the exact model I recently bought. The guy listed it as a 72 510 coupe sss. Immediately after doing some research this initial claim seemed inaccurate. The problem is that obvious identifiers for a relative newby(engine, badges, interior aesthetics had gone missing if you will. The previous owner swapped in n a ka24de from a 95 240sx s14. Also the interior was dramatically altered. The seats were replaced with lovely bucket reccaro seats up front n matching bench in the back. Also the liners, door panels, and dash all has been covered in a cheap after market ugly twead like carpet. Some of the badges on the outside were missing but some sss badges still remained. I couldn't really tell if they were original or not. Also I know they made a 2 for sedan n a coupe but wasn't sure if they made the 2dr sedan with the sss designation. The title lists it as a 72 pl510(model) P2D(body type) n the vin is PL5100343992. I know there are subtle differences in the body lines on sss' but by the time I was informed of these differences I had already had my new baby taken to the repair shop my buddy is the head mechanic at to start to analyze what we had so we could formulate a plan to move forward. I will be going down to see her up close tmro and will take a ton of pics and will post them immediately to aid in the investigation. I appreciate any insight that y'all can provide in the interim. Ive read several articles in wikipedia, datsunhistory.com , and several other forums only to find ambiguity, contradiction, and bickering amongst fellow enthusiasts. Again I appreciate your time and help and will post the pics asap. If you need any more info let me know. There are several other mods such as diff rims, New fuel tank, onboard ecu, amongst a bunch of others, but mostly dealing with aftermarket mods relevant to the ka24de swap,ie headers intake manifold etc that I didn't feel would aid in the investigation, but given my relative newby status,I could very well b wrong so if y'all think a full list of mods could be useful let me know.
DirtyDatsun510

Re: 1972 pl510/bluebird sss/ 2dr sedan-coupe clarification h

Post by DirtyDatsun510 »

I just realized I posted this in the wrong section as I didn't back out of the one I was researching about the tranny before creating a new post. I will make sure to be more conscientious of this in the future.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'm not sure where the confusion on various boards comes from. The distinctions between a Bluebird Coupe and a USDM 510 two-door sedan are clear.

Bluebird Coupes were only made in RHD. They weren't made for MY72. Bluebird Coups also have the sloping rear window and c-pillars compared to the 510 two-door:
roofline.jpg
roofline.jpg (127.86 KiB) Viewed 4774 times
There are other differences, but it's hard to change the three identifiers above.

I'd spend some time at The 510 Archives and read through, at least, the set of Dime, Quarterly back issues. We did an all-Coupe issue for DQ 8.1.

Some people confuse the "coupe" term in 510 circles. Since Datsun actually produced a car with "Coupe" in the name, we try to set people straight when they come in and say they have a Coupe when they really have a two-door sedan.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Pictures are worth thousands of words. We can nail, or at least narrow, a model year with pictures. The more pictures the closer we can get, if that's still a question. Things like VINs and data plates and titles can be changed pretty easily, though they generally aren't. Which is why the pictures will show us what you have more clearly than what the title says the VIN is.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
DirtyDatsun510

Post by DirtyDatsun510 »

Thanks for the clarification. I was pretty sure it wasn't the coupe but wasn't sure, and further more exactly why it was/wasn't. I knew pics would b a dead give away but as I stated before, I didn't start my inquiry until it was out of sight. Thanks for the direction as to were to get a complete run down. With that being said, I was interested in possibly converting lhd to rhd but didn't really find anything relative when I searched this forum, but I'm pretty sure I'm not utilizing the search feature remotely close to efficiently. Is this possible, worthwhile, if so could you point me in the right direction as were to look.Again thanks for all your help!
DirtyDatsun510

Post by DirtyDatsun510 »

I just saw your reply to my intro post, sorry for jumping the gun before checking the other thread for a response first. The thread you pointed me to, does that have a comprehensive list of the parts I will need do I can begin to price it out? Thanks again and I'll update my profile now.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Few have done the LHD/RHD conversion. I pointed you to the start of a thread in which that is shown back in your Intro thread. It is certainly possible. Worthwhile is a completely different qualifier, though, and only you can be the judge there.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

DirtyDatsun510 wrote:does that have a comprehensive list of the parts I will need
No. Everyone will do it differently, anyway. There will be certain things everyone will need to do, but many ways to go about the rest. Even the firewall - do you get a RHD firewall, or weld up the LHD holes and make new holes for RHD in the firewall that already exists?

Mostly your biggest concern will be getting all the parts, including the dash, and preferably the wiring harness. You could trim a LHD harness down for RHD since they pass through the firewall at the same spot in both.
DirtyDatsun510

Post by DirtyDatsun510 »

After I posed the worthwhile issue I had a strong feeling it would generate that response lol. Thanks man I'll start looking into it.
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

Welcome to the wonderful world of 510's.

I just wanted to throw in my 2 cents here in regards to RHD cars on LHD roads.

Before switching to RHD, I would ask a few questions:

What is the intended purpose/use of the car? Weekend Cruiser, DD, Show Car, combination of some of them?

Have you driven a RHD car for any length of time on roads and highways in the USA? If not, I would recommend that you try it for a while before committing to changing your car.

I ask this because about 10 years ago, I was in the market for a 240Z and a JDM Fairlady Z (RHD) showed up for sale not too far from me. It intrigued me so I went out to see it and I took it for a test drive for around 30 minutes. Both back roads and highways. I did like the car and I gave it consideration but decided against it because it was RHD. After trying to pass a farm vehicle on a back road and a tractor trailer on the highway, I didn't like the feeling of being "Blind" when trying to pull around them. Shifting with your left hand is strange too and having the passenger on the left side too.

Yes, RHD cars are unique here in the states but IMHO, they are less safe on the roads. I know that there are others on this forum that own and drive RHD cars and they will likely disagree with me but.....

Good luck with what ever you decide.

Looking forward to pics of your dime.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

RHD definitely takes some getting used to, and some changes in driving. David talks about the passing issue, and it can be an issue. Typically I'll just back off from whomever I'm trying to pass, ensure the passing lane is clear, and then romp on the throttle to slingshot past. I've never had a close call. But it also depends on the types of roads, as David also mentions; but generally if you're not tailgating then you can verify clear space. And if you can't, don't pass (duh! :) ).

RHD has issues with things like ATM drive-thrus, and drive-thrus in general. 510's a narrow car, though, and if you have long enough arms the fast-food people, at least, generally reach a little further to help you out. ATMs...well, I've gone in empty lanes from the exit. Sometimes I've had to reverse back out if someone came in all normal-like, but again it's not a big deal. Neither have been frequent haunts for me, though. If you've got to do that every day, like pay a toll, it might get old quick.

Shifting came pretty naturally, but you tend to cut LH corners without realizing it until you hear the Potts dot rumble. THAT is something you need to be conscious of.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

My brother imported a RHD Mazda Capella (RX2)
Joy to drive, but for me, the only issue was the RHD. Scary at times on Ventura counties back roads.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I guess I don't drive it fast enough!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I've been daily driving Rich's old Sunny truck for a little over 2 years now. Enough that it seems perfectly normal, even under harder driving. The only thing I don't like is the stupid mirrors. If I ever paint it I'm putting the mirrors on the door where they belong. Besides that shifting braking or like most carbed cars doing all three pedals at once is no big deal.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

Yea, some like it some don't, just like anything else. I lived in japan for 14 years, I got used to it. I had a rough time coming back to the states and driving here after being there so long. As far as operation of the car, it takes a little while to get used to it. I was always turning on the wipers instead of the blinkers on most cars I drove when I came back. Not really a problem in a 510 though. Convert it, you might like it, and if you don't it's an easy sell to one of your friends that wants to try it too!!