1982 280ZX transmission
Shortened driveshaft
720 pickup differential
2 1/2" - 3" exhaust
2 chamber 3" Flowmaster muffler
1983 280ZX disc brakes (non turbo)
280ZX master cylinder
Blaster 2 MSD coil

I put $40 dollars of Chevron supreme plus gas in and made it only about 50kms. I did not put my foot into it either.
I have had these carburetors tuned by an expert named Paul who lives in East Vancouver and only works on old cars from Europe and Japan. He managed to get the car through Aircare and then retuned the car afterwards. I want to do an engine swap if it is worth it with a modern Nissan motor that has been done before? KA? SA? I have the ability!
datzenmike
Supporter

Re: Why Am I Getting Such Terrrible MPG?

Post by datzenmike »

The cam is a bit hairy to expect any good mileage. What differential ratio? 4.11 or 4.375 because these are bad for mileage too.

You don't quite say it but $40 to go 50Km??? That's about 7.3 gallons @ 1.20 / L so 4 MPG? Even if misreading the gauge by double 8 MPG is seriously bad. Check the plugs. If dry and sooty the carb(s) are flooding. Maybe fuel pressure is too high. Gas tank or gas line leak??? take a look.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Paul knows his carbs, are you sure on your numbers????
On our Specialty race car, set up for road racing, we got 12 MPG and that was at race speed.
At that low of an MPG, I am amazed that it runs.

as Mike suggests..check all those things.

In my turbo motor, L20+ at full on 300 HP mode, I get about 5 Mpg, at take it to the moon RPM.

maybe a trip to Specialty Engineering would be in order on this one.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
30something

Post by 30something »

I just had the motor apart last year because I had low compression in 2 cylinders. It ended up being that the head needed rebuilding. Had a look at all the bottom bearings, crank, cylinder walls, rods and cylinders and everything was good. At that time all the plugs, wires, cap and rotor were changed. As well, I added a MSD Blaster 2 coil. No fuel leaks. All properly jetted for the new 280ZX K&N air filter ( had 2 different size air filtres before taking in different amounts of air into each carb causing different jetting. Car was set up by a carb guru in east Van (Paul Silva recommended to me by Overseas Auto). My car is ultra fast and can be shifted at 7000 rpm. Put a Porche Boxter in my dust! I want to get more fuel efficient so I can enjoy the car more. I stopped driving the car because it cost way too much to put fuel in. I want to drive this car from March to October. KA? SA?
30something

Post by 30something »

Been told that the car has 9.5 to 1 compression!
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

How are you calculating fuel mileage?
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
510rob

Post by 510rob »

okayfine wrote:How are you calculating fuel mileage?
30something wrote:I put $40 dollars of Chevron supreme plus gas in and made it only about 50kms.
:?:
30something

Post by 30something »

In short, I was living at my girlfriends place in Pitt Meadows and we were moving back into my house when my renters moved out. Put a day permit on the car to move it from point A to point B. Pitt Meadows to 1st and Clarke in Vancouver to 1st and Clarke to Shaunessy in Port Coquitlam.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Is the speedo/odo calibrated? Was the tank empty and you put $40 in gas in, then went 50 clicks and ran the tank dry? Etc.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
30something

Post by 30something »

Speedo and odometer are working. Tank was dry when I filled it up and was running on fumes when I got home.
dislexicdime

Post by dislexicdime »

Fuel leak?
L series only have one header!

i need another garage mine is full of part's
30something

Post by 30something »

No, no fuel leak.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

What do the plugs look like. At 4 MPG they should be black.

If over 7 gallons was put in what did the gauge read? Did it drop steadily over the trip. Could the gauge be wrong? Maybe there's almost 6 gallons still in the tank.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Only way to check fuel economy proper, is fill the tank right up. Then, drive an already measured distance ( maybe drive a route with a modern car ), then go re-fill the tank up, making note of how many liters went into the tank. Then you can calculate your mileage. Maybe have a gas station at the end of your loop, or whatever. Do a reasonable distance, say half a tank, that will give you a number on average, of at least that traffic situation, stops at lights, whatever. Fuel economy can drastically change from traffic to highway, specially with a modded engine. Large cams with overlap are BAD for fuel, but, if Paul got it through AIRSCARE, it's not that bad.

Divide kilometers driven by .6214 = miles
divide liters by 4.545 = gallons imperial
divide miles by gallons = MPG.

For all intents, the 510 fuel tank if run dead empty is 10 gallons ( depending on what manual you look at )
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

datzenmike wrote:What do the plugs look like. At 4 MPG they should be black.
As will most of the rear of the car around the exhaust tip. It will also smell quite obviously of unburnt gas.
datzenmike wrote:If over 7 gallons was put in what did the gauge read? Did it drop steadily over the trip. Could the gauge be wrong? Maybe there's almost 6 gallons still in the tank.
This is what I'm getting at.

OP, I didn't ask if your speedo/odo worked, I asked if it was calibrated. Tire size, rear gearing, trans changes can contribute to massive errors in your odo calibration, where 1 mile actual may be .7 miles indicated, or vice-versa.

Similarly, what does "on fumes" mean? Was the car surging, or was the gauge merely reading empty?

---------------

You have to have an accurate baseline of data before you can claim you have a problem, or what size problem it is. We see this often with people reporting temperature issues, when they merely have sender or gauge issues that indicate a fault that doesn't exist.

Your engine is relatively hi-po and will drink fuel, but 4mpg indicates serious leakage (bad gas cap or flange seal and all your gas is going out the filler on left-hand turns?) or mixture issues. But, 4mpg getting L-series engines will run like crap and show it.