New potential products for 510's and Datsun from Mattndew76

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Re: New potential products for 510's and Datsun from Mattnde

Post by StrutlessWonder »

bertvorgon wrote:We just tapped out the stock hole for a pipe thread brass fitting for my hose to the catch can, dead simple. Just leave enough meat to make sure that can happen.
Yup. I vote to keep it simple, even OEM like.
Stock setup allows you to buy repl plastic vent and bore is easily tapped to NPT for whatever fitting you wish.
And the tab on metal gasket does act like a bit of a vent shield.
No little plate or screws to come loose, rattle around and cause damage seems like a good idea too.
My $0.02
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

Hey Matt and all, I was wondering if it would be better to have some fins on the inside of the cover. It would seem to me that the surface area of the interior is small compared to the outside and maybe you could extract more heat with interior fins. Just a thought. Even some shallow ones would help.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

S15DET wrote:I'm wondering how you decided on 11 ribs? Is it based on the cutting tool? Since we're looking for surface area for cooling, more ribs are probably better. Is there any reason why it would cost more to have more, smaller ribs using a smaller tool? Obviously more passes = more time, so there's that, and I guess tooling wear on the smaller tool. The design looks great, I'm just interested in what drives the design.
I chose based on rigidity of fin and tool. Like you stated a smaller tool takes longer and tends to break easy at depth of .700"
Time is money.

.250" fin with a .250" gap.

Could make you a blank version with a bolt on fine finned heat sinc and thermal paste ;)

For the Vent plug I am just going to do a stock vent port bore. I don't have a Steele gasket to mate anything to it so I'm going toward what Perrin has.
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

^^^

I'd also like to add that the 11 cooling fins on Matt's design will definitely provide more radiative surface area than the exactly zero fins supplied on the OEM unit.

-McW
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

-OK- the vent port is done and to stock spec as far as bore size. I have located it TDC on the cover.

I also have been pondering remote options. Rather than increase machine ops on the cover I have just decided to make in a separate product a Fill and Drain plug that has ORB threaded ports centered on the NPT plugs. Drain is the Out-Line and Fill is the In-Line. So all covers will use stock NPT plugs.

So our R160 covers are ready to manufacture.

Price for R160: $325.00
Shipping within USA: $12.00
Shipping to Canada: $25.00

PayPal: Mattndew02@yahoo.com
Attachments
R160 Diff Cover-7.JPG
R160 Diff Cover-7.JPG (170.74 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
R160 Diff Cover-6.JPG
R160 Diff Cover-6.JPG (183.32 KiB) Viewed 3892 times
Ash510

Post by Ash510 »

Wow that is a very good price cosidering the amount of work that is needed in that. just interested to know what the material cost is per piece? and if you have a good source maybe you will share :)

Aron
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Are we sure TDC for the vent is ok? I'm going to look at mine tomorrow, as I have very little clearance up top, and mine of course is offset to the left ( stock), where it goes straight up through the trunk floor to my catch can.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

That vent tube location looks a little sketchy...

Viewed under operation (using high speed video) the ring gear is continually slinging out a large taffy-like rope of gear oil that strikes the back cover. Pretty much in the middle. Top to bottom. Sending a stream of hot bubbling crude up the vent tube, probably isn't the way to go.

-McWicked
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I can make the adjustment lol. Was trying to avoid any type of pocketing on the top outer surface but it looks unavoidable unless I create a splash barrier.
McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

Ash510 wrote:Wow that is a very good price cosidering the amount of work that is needed in that. just interested to know what the material cost is per piece? and if you have a good source maybe you will share :)

Aron
I was thinking along the same lines. I'm no machinist, but I know bar stock starts to get a bit spendy in those dimensions. That's why I got on the list early... before he sobers up.

-McWicked
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Mattndew76 wrote:I can make the adjustment lol. Was trying to avoid any type of pocketing on the top outer surface but it looks unavoidable unless I create a splash barrier.
I don't exactly remember R160 OEM covers and gaskets, but I'd also vote for OEM vent placement on the top side with some sort of internal splash baffle, possibly incorporating the OEM metal gasket tab as a shield (like the pics I posted of the R180 OEM I posted earlier).
My R160 LSDs w/ stock vents have weeped a bit after a day of track sessions.

This is a great price considering Perrin covers are about the same.
And quick, friendly service too!
Kurt Hafer
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

McWicked wrote:
Ash510 wrote:Wow that is a very good price cosidering the amount of work that is needed in that. just interested to know what the material cost is per piece? and if you have a good source maybe you will share :)

Aron
I was thinking along the same lines. I'm no machinist, but I know bar stock starts to get a bit spendy in those dimensions. That's why I got on the list early... before he sobers up.

-McWicked

Totally sober :D

Can't give all my secrets away, but one chunk of 3"x6"x8" - 6061 is $46-$50 per block and less if bought by 12' length and cut myself. The rest of the price is all machine time and tools. Plus I'm a glutton for machine process and cost streamlining. I gots skills ;)
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

StrutlessWonder wrote:
Mattndew76 wrote:I can make the adjustment lol. Was trying to avoid any type of pocketing on the top outer surface but it looks unavoidable unless I create a splash barrier.
I don't exactly remember R160 OEM covers and gaskets, but I'd also vote for OEM vent placement on the top side with some sort of internal splash baffle, possibly incorporating the OEM metal gasket tab as a shield (like the pics I posted of the R180 OEM I posted earlier).
My R160 LSDs w/ stock vents have weeped a bit after a day of track sessions.

This is a great price considering Perrin covers are about the same.
And quick, friendly service too!

If I also made Catch Can systems would that make a baffle-less ok? ;)

I will try a few things tonight, but I also keep looking over Perrin and they just have a simple ridge below the vent port.
Less is more?
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

I'm not sure the Perrin mini-baffle (if you can call it that) solution is ideal, or as good as OEM.
I have a catch-can setup:
Attachments
IMG_4993_small.jpg
IMG_4993_small.jpg (105.55 KiB) Viewed 3854 times
Kurt Hafer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I put my catch can in the trunk, theory being that the height of the tube would act as a bit of a separator and gravity would just let any oil mist that condenses out, drains right back to the diff.
I have never had any sign of moisture there at all.
Attachments
diff catch can.JPG
diff catch can.JPG (118.03 KiB) Viewed 3818 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer