New potential products for 510's and Datsun from Mattndew76

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Re: New potential products for 510's and Datsun from Mattnde

Post by StrutlessWonder »

The Perrin side mount fill plug blocks access to one of the bolts holding the cover in place so you cannot use a socket there.
The drain plug is not at the lowest point.
And the inside has no baffle to prevent splatter going straight up the vent (unlike the OEM cover)
The cusco design may address these issues.
But of course yours certainly can :D
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Yup. As for Cusco I still can't see where 900$ come into play??? Not a very complex object at all.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (68.02 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (34.18 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (79.85 KiB) Viewed 3935 times
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I feel there is a reason for the side or rear plugs; any plug pointing down is in danger of being tagged by the ground. I would seriously advise against pointing the plug down. Is it really that important to drain the diff 100%? How often is that done.

Having the bottom of the cover slightly angle upwards would also seem to be a good design.

I'm sure we all have opinions, bug increasing capacity while also increasing surface area are the two best design advantages go keeping the oil cooler and making our clutch LSD's last longer on the track. Of course the remote oil cooler is likely the best option, but few of us would ever drive hard enough, long enough to really need that system.

Final thought, the side plug might block a mounting bolt, but rear plugs reduce the finned surface area. My vote would be to increase surface area because the drain plug would be out before you remove the cover, so the interference is a moog point.

Just my thoughts, I'd lean on the operational excellence of the design over all else. But that's my engineering mind at play.

Matt, it's all yours.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
dodgydan
Supporter

Post by dodgydan »

id be in for a couple diff covers. kool and functional custom stuff wahooo.
its not the having. its the doing...
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

To follow up with Byron and UPS there... I've had s13, r32, and z31 finned covers and all the bottom drain holes are at BDC.

Might add a bit of machining time and reorienting etc but it would be a lil more "OEM" as far as finned covers go.

Looks great Matt, I like where this is going. :D
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Do we need an oil temp sensor bung as well? The BMW's have them :) :mrgreen:

Ok so I have decided place the remote bungs on the sides and place the drain plug BDC, Fill plug Off center lol.

I will max out the surface area with as many cooling fins as I can without it looking trailer park engineering.
Last edited by Mattndew76 on 20 Mar 2014 11:52, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Fill plug won't be UDC, since the fill plug level is generally used as a "FULL" lube line, insofar as lube dribbles out the fill plug bung once it's "full".

Subaru has diff protectors, my RS came with one. Never had occasion to use it, included option on the car I bought. Might be more handy for lowered 510s, but still something few would use.

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

fixed :)

FedEx says the delivery of the original covers (Via Joel) will be here tomorrow. So once those are in hand I will be able to give everyone a Solid Model picture by Saturday for our eyeballs.

Matt D.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

okayfine wrote:Fill plug won't be UDC, since the fill plug level is generally used as a "FULL" lube line, insofar as lube dribbles out the fill plug bung once it's "full".

Subaru has diff protectors, my RS came with one. Never had occasion to use it, included option on the car I bought. Might be more handy for lowered 510s, but still something few would use.

Wonder if this would be useful?
Attachments
gn743_2p.gif
gn743_2p.gif (9.37 KiB) Viewed 3870 times
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I think an adapter for a 1/2" ratchet to turn the Sube/Datsun diff plugs would be in order. The plug square drive isn't 1/2", so we all end up buggering up the square drive.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

I can see about Torx style NPT plugs. Or even Make Aluminum hex head plugs. Just depends on how far we want to go with the goods.

Like these:
Attachments
billetdrain.jpg
billetdrain.jpg (235.84 KiB) Viewed 3863 times
McWicked
Supporter

Post by McWicked »

I'd definitely be interested in a diff cover for an R160.

I don't know how much design tweaking you have mind, but here's my 2 cents:

1. You want to make use of all vertical oriented cooling fins. Horizontal fins, are less efficient.

2. On the size scale of a diff cover, fin depth is more important than fin spacing.

3. Don't forget some internal baffles.

-McWicked
Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

Been reading a lot of googled info so far today.

McWicked thanks for the fin tip on depth vs spacing.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Good points, but, I really don't see the need for internal baffles. If oil level is correct, you want as much oil flying about as you can. We have done a 7 hour enduro(s) with the r180's diffs and bigger issue is the VOLUME of oil..PERIOD!

With lower gear ratios the temps can go up, over long distance travel or load, so the need for the extra capacity trumps anything in my opinion, then the cooling fins, that would be good.

we made large capacity diff covers many years ago for our cars.
Attachments
increased capacity diff cover.JPG
increased capacity diff cover.JPG (41.43 KiB) Viewed 3836 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

bertvorgon wrote:Good points, but, I really don't see the need for internal baffles. If oil level is correct, you want as much oil flying about as you can. We have done a 7 hour enduro(s) with the r180's diffs and bigger issue is the VOLUME of oil..PERIOD!

With lower gear ratios the temps can go up, over long distance travel or load, so the need for the extra capacity trumps anything in my opinion, then the cooling fins, that would be good.

we made large capacity diff covers many years ago for our cars.

WOW that's some extra capacity Keith. How much extra fluid do you hold in that specific cover?