2014 - The year of another Datsun 510 Championship?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: 2014 - The year of another Datsun 510 Championship?

Post by bertvorgon »

Morning World!

As I was up in Penticton, to check out and ultimately purchase an almost barn find Tracker, I thought I was going to miss the race. As it turns out, it must have started late and we were sitting in Boston Pizza having a late lunch. Matt tries and gets WiFi, and low and behold...we are watching the race...then...BAM...his stupid phone quits.....But, at the same time, James (McShagger ) has texted Matt with updates..YEEEHAAA......Collin wins....patrons in Boston Pizza will NOT forget that..he, he.

I will track down and watch the race, and of course, I will hear it live from Collin and the Specialty gang.

All I can say about Collin is that he has gone to some of the top U.S. driving schools, and showed some of the TOP U.S. professional racers who were there also...how to drive....

And...you can't win if you don't finish. Andy's pre-race prep is beyond staggering. The whole car comes apart, and EVERYTHING is howled through. I wish I could tell you about the level of THOUGHT, that goes into those motors, both to make the power that they do, and, of course to be as reliable as a race motor can be.

Troy's race was incredible, I'm with you Boy Blunder, on that restart he got hung up a hair, whereas Huffaker was on the roll in the anticipation of that green. We were glued to the computer at work.

On the Tracker side, a long time friend of mine who lives in Penticton spotted one sitting in a drive way. It looked like it had not moved in a long time. On a lark, he went back and banged on the door. Long story short, it had been sitting for 2 years and 2 months, after this fellows mother had a stroke and could not drive any more. My friend Pete looks at it, says Matt and I should come take a look. MY friend Pete knows mechanics and Trackers! Pete goes back next day, jump starts the Tracker,,,it fires right up....engine sounds dead quiet, no leaks, interior MINT, NO accidents, outside body has hardly a scratch, windshield mint, EVERYTHING WORKS. Even the air conditioning works.

So, Matt and I road trip it yesterday, in the G35, 17 hour round trip, put some wipers on it, new battery, air in tires, back last night at 10:00 with Tracker in hand. It even came with a new set of Hankook Ice pike snow tires, same ones I have for my Odyssey, almost 600 worth of tires. All fluids will get changed and flushed here quickly, and the whole vehicle needs a really good detailing, after sitting for so long, specially the engine bay. I will post up some pictures on a different thread.

It was literally the little old woman, one owner vehicle, they bought it new...it has only 86,000KM ( 49,700 Miles ) on it, for a 2001.

CONGRATS TO COLLIN AND SPECIALTY!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer