Need a recommendation for floor jack and stands?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
B^2

Need a recommendation for floor jack and stands?

Post by B^2 » 09 Sep 2014 10:54

So I've decided I need to invest in a floor jack and some stands so I can start doing routine maintenance on the Datsun and for changing the tires on my normal car. I've got a 2002 Jetta Wagon and a 1999 Subaru legacy so I don't need anything super heavy duty. Napa has some cheap stuff here: http://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/Catal ... 0150642315

I was wondering if its worth it to spend a little bit more money for something else. Any recommendations would be much appreciated.

okayfine
Supporter

Re: Need a recommendation for floor jack and stands?

Post by okayfine » 09 Sep 2014 11:08

The Napa stuff will do the job, it's your basic floor jack and stands. As mentioned below, you'll want to get a second pair of stands, at a minimum.

I prefer to use central jacking points when putting my cars up on stands. That includes my Subaru. For that, you would prefer a longer handle/reach and, depending on how low your 510 is, a lower profile.

For the last 12-13 years or so, I've had a HarborFreight aluminum jack. This one is rated at 1.5 tons, but they have two aluminum jacks that are rated at 1.5 tons. You want the one that doesn't say "compact" in the title. It's got a rapid-rise function (7 pumps unloaded or something to full height) and a low profile, so it fits under low 510s. It will lift my Subaru (2840lb), but you have to put some effort into it. I'm not sure the "compact" version could do the job. *caveat that many of the HF tools I bought 10+ years ago work fine and have lasted, but certain HF tools I've bought recently to replace long-lasting ones have not lasted. I haven't bought an HF jack in 12-13 years, so no idea what quality. Any similar jack available under different names is going to be the same, though.

For the Subaru I have a steel 3 ton Sears jack. Heavy, not all that low-profile, takes many pumps to get up to the chassis, but will lift anything I have.

I have two pairs of 3 ton stands. Nothing special, but you'll want to have at least four stands (so you can get a car completely off the ground). I say "at least" because I've had occasion to have a car on stands long-term and needed stands to do another job.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

StrutlessWonder
Supporter

Post by StrutlessWonder » 14 Sep 2014 15:48

Many folks like the $100-150 Arcan X35L, as it was low profile and had high lift (23"?). But it weighs 100lbs.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/ ... _200345429

It used to be at Costco, but didn't sell well, so the replaced it with an Arcan hybrid alum/steel jack for $100 that weghs less, but isn't as low profile and lost 5+" of lift
YMMV:
http://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show ... 805&page=2
Last edited by StrutlessWonder on 18 Sep 2014 21:28, edited 1 time in total.
Kurt Hafer
'70 2dr VG30et "Strutless Wonder"

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine » 14 Sep 2014 17:37

True. The HF jack I have only goes to 18something", but then that's just a bit higher than my normal jack stands will safely reach anyway.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

B^2

Post by B^2 » 15 Sep 2014 19:01

that jack stand looks good. too bad shipping is like $65. would be nice if there was a store nearby that sold them.