Cleaning a NASTY W58 head

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
PdidD25

Cleaning a NASTY W58 head

Post by PdidD25 »

Hey all, I was wondering if any of you have ever had to clean a terribly nasty head before. I have already removed the valve cover, valves, springs, rocker arms, some smaller pieces I assume are the lash pads, etc. and organized them in baggies. But what I'm really concerned with cleaning are the rusty water jackets and grimy chambers. I just wanted to know of ways to clean an aluminum head. I understand that one can use a soda blaster on aluminum and valve covers for sure, but any other cleaning methods you might suggest? Thanks i advance. Pics to come.
okayfine
Supporter

Re: Cleaning a NASTY W58 head

Post by okayfine »

Find a head rebuilder, or an engine builder/machine shop (maybe even a radiator shop if they're nice) and have them hot tank the head. That's not going to fix corrosion (aluminum doesn't rust) insofar as the material that is already gone is gone, so best to get the head evaluated to make sure it's worth the money and effort you'd put in to refreshing it.

But, depends on what you want to do with it, and it's actual state. Maybe it just needs a can of Gunk, some hot water, and a stiff Nylon brush? I'd avoid anything too abrasive, especially on gasket and machined surfaces.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
PdidD25

Post by PdidD25 »

okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

The ol' round-port peanut head. Do you have the exhaust manifold/header for that head, 'cause it's different from the usual L-series square port.

That said, it doesn't look bad from the pictures provided - heads have corroded much worse. The rusty bits in the combustion chambers are the valve seats, so you'll want to get them replaced, which basically means getting the head rebuilt (new seats, valve grind, etc.) which means they'll clean it up while they're at it.

You're probably not going to be able to fix that on your own. Those valve seats look a little too far gone to be able to just wire-wheel the ports and lap valves in.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
PdidD25

Post by PdidD25 »

Thanks! I know of a shop in town that can do the hot tanking and I can probably get that done with my block next week. :D And if that guy can't rebuild the head, I know TEM in Napa can.

Thanks for the heads up on the manifold too, I still have it.
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Ultrasonic is better for aluminium as the hot tank chemicals are mainly for cast iron and can etch & discolour your head. Any engine shop will take care of that for you. :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

What about the removal of those exhaust liners too?
PdidD25

Post by PdidD25 »

Cool, thanks James, will have to see who can treat the head with ultrasonic or however you say that hahaha.

I may keep the liners in if the work costs too much. Right now, I'm more concerned with getting the engine assembled again.

If it is affordable, I would need to have the exhaust walls smoothed out for smoother flow post liner removal, right?
Last edited by PdidD25 on 05 Mar 2015 13:22, edited 1 time in total.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Have only heard third-hand wisdom regarding the liners, which says not to remove them. Mainly due to the work necessary to smooth the ports afterwards, the possibility of punching through to a water jacket, etc. Apparently some of the Z crowd has gotten good power with their version of the smog head.

Depending on the overall build of the engine, you might not benefit for the $ needed to do it.
PdidD25

Post by PdidD25 »

Well, I think the way to go would be to simply overbore the L20B block to 86mm bore (is that correct?), get oversized pistons to match, bearings and seals, and have the crank assessed for straightness then reassembly.

I don't need it to be a beast, just running.

I did some forum research before and found the same stuff as you, okayfine.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Stock L20B bore is 85mm, what you need to overbore it to depends on the condition of your block. A running L20B (versus a beast) doesn't need the liners removed from the head.