Help with exhaust please.

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
subwoffers

Help with exhaust please.

Post by subwoffers »

Wow, can't believe it remember my password for this site.

I was Hoping I can get a little advice for my Datsun 1000'S exhaust. I was doing a little cleanup on it the other day and I'm going to fix my exhaust next because right now it sounds like someone dropped a handful of marbles into my muffler. It's not rubbing or anything, there is somethjnt inside and rattling badly.

Right now there is no cat, no resonator, single exit muffler. As far as I can tell 1.5 inch pipe from header to the middle of the car, then it switches to 2inch pipe all the way back. The muffler sits pretty close to the middle of the car.

So I'm looking at cutting out the muffler and relacing it for now. So my question is, what kind of muffler shoukd I be looking it? I habe a no name generic one on there right now, any recommendations? I don't want it to sound like a fart can but want it to sound a little throaty if that's even possible from a 1.5l...

Cheers!
two_68_510s
Supporter

Re: Help with exhaust please.

Post by two_68_510s »

Borla.

Very subjective, this sound thang! :)

Like paint color.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Always been a Magnaflow guy myself, dunno why, just am.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

1.5" pipe may well be overkill for a stockish 1L engine. Certainly that 2" after the muffler is only making noise for you. If you're sticking with the 1.5" pipe, you could probably dig up an NOS 510 muffler. Most of us are going to be unfamiliar with the exhaust placement on a 1000, so while we can suggest brands we like, suggesting the actual muffler to you that will also fit where you want it to go might be a tall order.

I've used both Borla and Magnaflow. For you, it's going to be who has the right sized muffler at 1.5"...when I was looking for mufflers for my 3-wheeler, no one had small sizes like that. I have two small, round mufflers I pulled off the 3-wheeler v1.0, cheap and cheerful. Throaty? Not from such small capacity, but you can't have it all.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

if he only has 1000cc he could use a motorcycle muffler. Then you get a choice if you want titanium or carbon!
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

Go and see Jim at Overseas Auto in Vancouver, just off Main St. He's been around Datsuns forever & will take care of you. Lots of mufflers in stock! :mrgreen:

James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100