Thoughts on a 510 for sale

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Perfect Dark

Thoughts on a 510 for sale

Postby Perfect Dark » 05 Apr 2015 19:39

I've been checking Kijiji every now and then to see if there are any 510's for sale. I'm not really looking for a big project as my garage space is limited so the more complete the better.

I found this:
http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/edm ... nFlag=true

Emailing back and forth with the owner hasn't really netted much information other than the interior has no carpeting (not a big deal) but is in great shape otherwise.

I'm looking for some advice on the price as it seems extremely high compared to anything else I've seen. Do the new bits really add that much value to the car?

Thanks in advance everyone!

bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Thoughts on a 510 for sale

Postby bertvorgon » 05 Apr 2015 20:09

In looking at the engine bay, and the over spray on the master cylinders and down on the brake lines,
this sort of thing always makes me think there was NO CARE...so what else was "flashed together".

look at the wiper motor, the underneath has no paint,

for 14,000 you should expect a pretty pristine car that looks like someone loved it.

No air filters...I hate seeing that.

My take at any rate.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 05 Apr 2015 20:31

If you have that sort of money to spend on a 510, do you have slightly more to buy Terry's two-door? There's a world of difference in execution between the two cars, yet not a world of difference in price.

There's also a BIG difference between asking $14K for a 510 and actually selling a 510 for $14K. We're, unfortunately, seeing the effects of rising 510 prices...everyone thinks they can drag out their beater, slap a $10K price on it, and sit pretty with the cash flowing in.

Without any additional information to substantiate the car, that's a $7K car, at best, given the pictures...and the value is only headed down as more "details" emerge (or are inferred based on pictures, as Keith's already started doing above).
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

Perfect Dark

Postby Perfect Dark » 05 Apr 2015 21:55

Thanks for the responses, all very good information!

bertvorgon wrote:In looking at the engine bay, and the over spray on the master cylinders and down on the brake lines,
this sort of thing always makes me think there was NO CARE...so what else was "flashed together".

look at the wiper motor, the underneath has no paint,

for 14,000 you should expect a pretty pristine car that looks like someone loved it.

No air filters...I hate seeing that.

My take at any rate.

I had noticed the overspray and it does make me leery for sure, I guess the only way to really know what I'd be dealing with is to head up to Edmonton and take a look in person.

okayfine wrote:If you have that sort of money to spend on a 510, do you have slightly more to buy Terry's two-door? There's a world of difference in execution between the two cars, yet not a world of difference in price.

There's also a BIG difference between asking $14K for a 510 and actually selling a 510 for $14K. We're, unfortunately, seeing the effects of rising 510 prices...everyone thinks they can drag out their beater, slap a $10K price on it, and sit pretty with the cash flowing in.

Without any additional information to substantiate the car, that's a $7K car, at best, given the pictures...and the value is only headed down as more "details" emerge (or are inferred based on pictures, as Keith's already started doing above).

I don't have a firm budget, if the right car came along I'm sure I could crack open the piggy bank and see what's in there haha. You've piqued my curiosity, could you post a link to the 2 door you're referring to?

Byron510

Postby Byron510 » 05 Apr 2015 21:59

I guess I have to interject here with the salt belt issue. Any 510 in a salt belt is seriously suspect. I lived in Edmonton in the 80's when my father rallied and ice raced 510. At that time nearly all were rust buckets. So going over any car in this area, especially one recently repainted, is an absolute must. I'm not saying that this car is a rust bucket, I'm just saying one has to check very carefully.

However based on the photos alone, unless there is more to substantiate the price tag, it is way over listed.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 06 Apr 2015 06:50

Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 06 Apr 2015 07:11

Look closely at the grill, drivers side, eye brow trim squished and the bottom of the grill is smucked up.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

510Freak
Supporter

Postby 510Freak » 06 Apr 2015 07:39

^^add in the lower valance(rear) is damaged, paint under the hood masking or removal wasnt an option?

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 06 Apr 2015 07:50

Perfect Dark wrote:I'm not really looking for a big project as my garage space is limited so the more complete the better.

It sounds like you're not going to be interested in the car you linked to. It's a project, everyone's picking up on stuff just from the few photos, and $14K is a pipe dream - while at the same time you'd spend the rest of your life trying to work this guy down to a reasonable price. And then you'd still have to fix everything.

For the money (key qualifier), you'd easily spend $25K on top of the asking price just to get the car to the quality of Terry's car. Terry's car is also done, ready to drive, and has never appeared to need anything. Terry's car is more than this one, but, again, what you'd need to spend just to make it a reliable driver probably equals out the price differences from the get-go.

Quality cars are getting good money and can be worth it. No-quality cars are asking good money and sitting around. Or at least being poorly bought by people who don't run the idea past the good people of The 510 Realm.

Perfect Dark

Postby Perfect Dark » 06 Apr 2015 08:48

Wow, Terry's car is beautiful! I can completely see why it's listed for the price it is, not I just need to figure out if that's a price I can justify for a summer toy. Thanks for the link.

okayfine
Supporter

Postby okayfine » 06 Apr 2015 09:03

It also depends in large part on what you want from a 510.

You've stated you're not too interested in a project car, but there are many forms of driver 510, Terry's being probably the extreme clean example. If you're going to be leaving it in grocery store parking lots or other such DD duties, it may not be the car for you.

Return to “General Discussion”