Doing reengineering to a L-series head

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
510wizard
Supporter

Doing reengineering to a L-series head

Post by 510wizard »

Back when I was starting college, there was a dentist in town that had hobby based shop, where his played with VW engines. He let me hang around and watch him modify cylinder heads by welding the combustion cambers and ports. He would then reshape them, blueprint the engines,and put them on his own dyno to check the progress. Looking back, the guy in this link reminds me of the dentist in what he did.

http://performanceforums.com/forums/sho ... atsun-head

Love the fact, that he moved the head over on the block to better position in the valves in the cylinder. And check out the combustion camber redesign. Great craftsmanship! The title says it all, "Doing some stupid shit to an old Datsun head"
510rob

Re: Doing reengineering to a L-series head

Post by 510rob »

that is a very interesting read, thanks for posting that Monte.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Demonstrating the motto that all L-series power is made in the head.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
KoHeartsGPA

Post by KoHeartsGPA »

Where's Matt!!!, I have an extra U67 (I believe) laying around! :P
Experimentation FTW!
Diego.
Mattndew76
Supporter

Post by Mattndew76 »

:mrgreen:
An Idea doesn't work unless you do.
James

Post by James »

I realize its minor stuff compared to whats happening elsewhere, but how does the chain guide/tensioner work with the head shift…..
Finished is better than perfect......
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I'd imagine the tensioner would compensate, as if the chain was stretched over time. A 14:1, near 300HP L-series isn't a 10000-mile motor. It'll get opened up and refreshed pretty frequently.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
gooned

Post by gooned »

Amazing the talent some blokes have! I've personally never heard of moving the head over or half the jargon used to describe the porting...wow, just wow.
Dave Patten
Supporter

Post by Dave Patten »

The mini modified circle track guys here in New England years back would build some healthy L18 engines. It was the engine to use at the time and guys were openly claiming 235hp at the crank.

They would angle cut the head to change the valve angle. These ran on race fuel, 110-112 octane stuff and would run 15-20 races without a teardown, basically a full season.
Dave Patten
http://www.FutoFab.com
Dunbarton, NH