Almost ready to Title any advice?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
wrs1
Supporter

Almost ready to Title any advice?

Post by wrs1 »

I am getting ready to attempt to title my 510 for the first time. I have been restoring the car for many years and now it is complete (almost). The first step in California is to take it in for a brake and light check. I am getting that done next Saturday. if it passes, then i have to take it to DMV for an inspection. any advice on what to expect for the brake and lamp inspection?
Last edited by wrs1 on 19 Dec 2019 16:34, edited 1 time in total.
Bill Spence
73 240Z 3.1 liter Rebello power, 70 510 2.1 liter Rebello power, 16 Porsche GT3, 06 Ferrari F430, 12 BMW E92 M3, 08 Chevy 2500 DMax, 16 High Caliber LS3 powered jet boat.
510rob

Re: Almost ready to Title any advice?

Post by 510rob »

That looks like a fancy car. The green one that is beside the black one.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

510rob wrote:That looks like a fancy car. The green one that is beside the black one.
LOL good one Rob, yeah that OTHER CAR is a real piker! :wink:

Bill, She looks ready to go, very good looking car, what happens if you did engine mods?
Last edited by two_68_510s on 12 May 2015 06:24, edited 1 time in total.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Bill - I still remember the quote you made at some point many years ago - when the car was still on the prairies - that you rebuilt the shell of this very car on a dare from your wife if I remember correctly…. awesome.

Man that's gotta feel good.

What's the wife have to say now?

:D

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

I did the motorcycle version of the B&L in CA. The guy looked for DOT markings on all lenses, made sure all the lights worked, and that the highbeam instrument panel light worked. He checked pad linings, and had me do a stop from 20mph to check that it stopped straight. He asked me to do the stop without my hands on the wheel, so I'm not sure what parts of the test were actually for motorcycles, but whatever.

I don't know what the requirement is for sidemarkers. It's varied quite a bit relative to OEMs, but maybe it's more of a FMVSS than a state thing.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

Your best bet is to take the documents ( local bill of Sale ) and the car to the DMV they will want to look at the vin and that is it. if it is an out of country or State veh. they will more than likely ask you to make an appointment with the CHP Vin verification department. They check the numbers to ensure nothing is stolen is all, I would not worry about the marker lights. once that is done back to the DMV and you get your plate and completed registration.

Good luck and the car looks great .
qwik510
Supporter

Post by qwik510 »

I am really surprised that you would have spent all the time and money on this car and don't have any paperwork on the car other then a bill of sale. Especially on a vehicle that has never been titled in the U.S. before.

How did it clear US customs at the border?
Was it brought in as a parts car?
Is the bill of sale notarized by the previous owner?
Did he have it registered in Canada?
Do you have any of the previous registrations from Canada?
Or an export certificate?

I am not up on Cali DMV laws but in my state (and most of my surrounding states), they would not give you a title or tags without more previous documentation.
Enjoy The Ride!
David
ImageImage
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

In CA with a car out of their computer, the process is a little different than if you were importing a running car to register. CA DMV will also not even start the process of issuing a new title for a car out of their computer without it being running and driving.

When I was looking for Chevys, one guy had a car I was interested in, but he moved here from Texas with the car as a project. Since he was still selling the car as a project, it had no CA paperwork. I skipped the headache, but that's the way CA works.

The less DMV knows about the car's background, the better. But I don't envy the OP.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
wrs1
Supporter

Post by wrs1 »

two_68_510s wrote: Bill, She looks ready to go, very good looking car, what happens if you did engine mods?
Joel, no idea about the engine mods. she has plenty. i am hoping smog exempt means anything goes. She has the fan i got from you in it though. thanks.
Byron510 wrote:Bill - I still remember the quote you made at some point many years ago - when the car was still on the prairies - that you rebuilt the shell of this very car on a dare from your wife if I remember correctly…. awesome.
Man that's gotta feel good.
What's the wife have to say now?

Byron
Byron, my wife doesn't say much. my car obsession is way out of control. she just shakes her head. she does like the Datsun's though. and i proved her wrong. thats the main thing!

Thanks for the tips guys. I envision this as being a painful process with two or three trips to DMV. That sux.
Question for the Cali guys: where do you get a CHP inspection? DMV website says the nearest Bay Area location is Novato! That seems messed up.

I will keep you posted as I move this forward.
Bill Spence
73 240Z 3.1 liter Rebello power, 70 510 2.1 liter Rebello power, 16 Porsche GT3, 06 Ferrari F430, 12 BMW E92 M3, 08 Chevy 2500 DMax, 16 High Caliber LS3 powered jet boat.
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

[/quote]

Question for the Cali guys: where do you get a CHP inspection? DMV website says the nearest Bay Area location is Novato! That seems messed up.

I will keep you posted as I move this forward.[/quote]

My wife works for the CHP, maybe there is a work-around. I will ask her in the AM.
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

wrs1 wrote:i am hoping smog exempt means anything goes.
This is not true at all, unfortunately, and gets spread by people that don't know what they're talking about.

The 510 is exempt from the biennial smog inspection ONLY. That's a state thing, and they're free to waive it. The emissions equipment rules are a federal thing, and the Feds have not waived it. Technically you're supposed to maintain the emissions equipment on your 510 as factory. DMV won't know anything, but CHP will zero in on anything chromey or go-faster. The emissions regulating body here is the CA BAR - if CHP refers you to the BAR, you're going to be a little bit screwed.

If your engine appears stock, you'll be fine. If you've got sidedrafts or a header...depends on how 510-friendly the CHP inspector is. Picture of the engine compartment?
wrs1 wrote:Question for the Cali guys: where do you get a CHP inspection?
Call your local-to-you CHP office. There are two in my county, both do inspections, but both had differing processes for obtaining an appointment. One allowed you to make an appointment, the other was first-come/first-served. I went to the office that scheduled actual appointments. And I drove the 3-wheeler there without tags and CHP didn't say boo to me.
Cmac

Post by Cmac »

If you know a Sherif, Police or CHP officer there is a form on the dmv website that you can print out an have him / her sign.
https://www.dmv.ca.gov/portal/wcm/conne ... OD=AJPERES

Look at the forms above I would have all of these filled out and ready to go with the car on a trailer out side when you go to the DMV. You may very likely be able to go one time but don't count on it. If you call the Local CHP office they will tell you where they do Vin verifications in your area. In Sacramento they are usually 30 days out for appointments.

When mine was done the CHP officer looked at the SR in the car and said nice factory motor and closed the hood after locating the vin on the fire wall. They are not there for smog just to ensure nothing is stolen and safety items like seat belts lights and blinkers are installed.
wrs1
Supporter

Post by wrs1 »

passed the brake and lamp check. i have an apptmt at DMV next Friday.
thanks for all the advice. I am going to fill out as many forms as possible in advance and see what happens at DMV.
Bill Spence
norcalmike

Post by norcalmike »

What ever happened with this?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Good call. I went looking for this thread a month or so ago and didn't find it. Also interested to know what happened.