New window gaskets, with or without trim?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
2DoorJim
Supporter

New window gaskets, with or without trim?

Post by 2DoorJim »

I'm about to buy new front and rear window gaskets for my 2 door 510 and I'm wondering what the general consensus is regarding retaining the stainless window trim. My car is (going to be) a hot rod, not a track car and not a stock restoration. In a way I feel the trim adds to the classic appearance of the 510, but on the other hand it's only going to have the usual grill and headlight trim, and tail light trim. I'm not likely to run with eyebrows, so there will be a minimal amount of other chrome/stainless. Any input would be appreciated!
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Re: New window gaskets, with or without trim?

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

1 vote for without for me. Mine will be once I get around to ordering the gaskets.
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

The no trim gasket looks really good in my opinion.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

If the plan is for minimal brightwork, no window gasket trim works. I like the brightwork, so I'd run as much stock as possible, including the window gasket trim.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

IMHO the 68 gasket and trim is the nicest. wider stainless and easier to clean/polish....now who can offer me a 68 single groove gasket ?
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!