Growing up...?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
///FiveOneOh

Growing up...?

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

So on Saturday I found my self at a cars on ice meeting getting ready for the upcoming season of ice racing. Surrounding me were people who've I known since middle school, my peers and some of their parents. As the meeting drew to an end we wondered outside to the parking lot and everybody headed on their way. The older generation headed to the pub for some lunch while my peers split to go do various "chores"... One couple was off to clean the house, another to pick up a new dishwasher.. and I found myself excited about shopping for a new laundry machine and dryer... That's when it hit me... my 510 has been parked for a few seasons in favor of the more "sensible van"... and I'm using my weekend to shop for appliances instead of rusty car parts. I'm growing up?! I am that guy who I swore I never wanted to be???? I fear so...

SO!! To combat this wretched epiphany. I am off to look at a rusty dilapidated 4 door this evening, as I've convinced myself I miss daily driving a 510 in the winter.. what with it's with no heat.. wipers that move slower than a sloth on weed, and door seals that may as well not even be there. This sounds like a brilliant plan. I feel better already.
RMS
Supporter

Re: Growing up...?

Post by RMS »

if its this wreck you should be in good shape. a case of beer and a handful of pop rivets and you'll be rockin!
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Is it the 4 dr that popped up in Delta yesterday for $1500 or something?

Yes - Cam I'm with you. The Xterra has nice heat and rides good, the Mazda van that I haul my 2+2 kids around in daily has started every day for 7 years without a complaint.. but I do miss my obnoxious, loud, stinky, leaking - and as mentioned barely heated - 510's on my daily routine....that have 4 times the issues on cold wet days.

I found myself watching the latest episode of Roadkill this morning - proof that some people don't have to grow up!

Besides - you are taking the first step - you were at the ice racing meeting... I didn't make it as I was selling X-Mass trees for my sons scout troop. But I did start to pre-fit the door on my garage on Sunday....to fulfill future Roadkill like projects, and I did spend a ridiculous amount of money on a G scale F7 A/B unit last month....

Stay young Cam, just keep it in mind is usually all it takes.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
///FiveOneOh

Post by ///FiveOneOh »

ya that was the one.. got sniped on me.. same guy sold a 1200 out from under me about 8 months back BAH!

Oh! I got permission to put G scale track in the back yard next year! Woohoo!!
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Well, we'll both be laying track next year. I was thinking I would hand lay the track, maybe we can start building switch together in the spring. I haven't set myself on a spec radius yet - 4' min I think but I'm being told 6'. But that starts using significant real-estate. back to the cars for now, and more importantly the shed!

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I'm still 12 going on 66 this spring.

Keep moving, the body with good cardio is a happy one, age is in the mind for the most part, hell, I'm re-playing the first HALO game right now, keeps the reflexes sharp.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gooned

Post by gooned »

Funny how this works eh?

I parked the daily 510 a looong time ago now but still miss it on a lot of days, trying to slide the duramax outta the corners just has to much pucker factor :shock: to be anywhere near as fun. I did manage to enjoy driving my FJ55 a few days this year, with all the same issues my goon had and with the added bonus of a carb, and I have already gotten further on the HO layout upstairs than I did all last winter in this last month.
Keith you hit the real issue, gotta keep the body moving, I'm getting an F on this since I started working behind a desk instead of out on the tools...it's really not easy to get the required energy expelled when life sems to be so busy and weeks just slip away. :roll:
I'm going to get my dodge on the road for the winter so I can get a few smiles per gallon between now & next summer...I can already hear my daughter's "give'r dad!" when I'm sliding it around in the gravel :mrgreen:
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

bertvorgon wrote:I'm still 12 going on 66 this spring.

Keep moving, the body with good cardio is a happy one, age is in the mind for the most part, hell, I'm re-playing the first HALO game right now, keeps the reflexes sharp.

My wife wants to insure my Datsun year round. I don't want to stop biking to work, I know I will cave in and end up driving full time. At first it will be on days with wind and rain, then rain, then wind, then frost, then too cold, then it's still dark it's a week day .... it's a slippery slope. My partner is 25-ish years younger and can't keep up to me even on a bad day.

Never driven it other than 3 months every summer around Canby time and rarely to work in the 5 years I've had it. It's like falling in teenage love every spring. That getting to discover your car all over again. Planning a 2K road trip alone together.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

I still daily my 510 or my Sunny. Which my sunny is the newest rig I own at 1973. My Honey Bunny Bear has an 08 Altama if I want to remember how lame new cars are.

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Every day it's not raining I drive my 69 to work or shopping for groceries or whatever other excuse I can think of to get in and destroy some tires. Robyn gave me some winters, I haven't had this much fun in a long time. Driving to work last week with it being 1 degree C every morning was a bit unpleasant till my exhaust started to heat up the floor but the grin came back pretty quick. I'm in my forties and I wouldn't trade driving my smelly, rough driving and stupid loud 510 for anything. If I wasn't so worried about it rusting away to nothingness I would drive it every day.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I built a beater just so I could dd a 510 everyday all year. I wouldn't want to be stuck in a new car depreciating every day as I try to remind my self that im on the road and not sitting on the couch playing a game.....that's not fair even the ps1 controller has feedback..

sometimes I feel old behind the wheel of the 510 as I rub my hands for heat waiting for warm up as commuters and consumers bleep their clickers and start their leases as they load the narrow openings with plastic happiness filled with death. they sit on heated seats with heated mirrors and a heated wheel. breathing in the off gas that is the new car smell. trips and trips to the shop sorry its to new. no spares available because its too new, 30,000 for a cpu, 6k for a brake, sorry there's sensors in that glass, a little tap and she's written off. ya you paid 80k but you only get 16.5 I shake my head with clear windows and squeegee in hand as Im passed by the pan with a out stretched hand. blip the throttle to clear a path full sensory immersion as I blast past. one with my ride as the appreciation grows.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

funwithmonkeys wrote:Every day it's not raining I drive my 69 .....

PNW rain from Nov till April.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs