Sss engine questions

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Laynec510

Sss engine questions

Post by Laynec510 »

Hey guys! Haven't been on for a while but
I am thinking of importing a Datsun 510 sss and I a am wondering how much horse power I could get out of the engine with a full rebuild.
I was looking to put the weber triple carb with the horn intake
Also what's some other goodies I could put into the engine to make it look nice
I want to redo everything and price shouldn't be a problem for now
And how much will a full rebuild cost
Is it even worth it to turbo one too?
James

Re: Sss engine questions

Post by James »

Triple Weber - L6 Z car. Is it an L16 or L-18?
Finished is better than perfect......
Laynec510

Post by Laynec510 »

James wrote:Triple Weber - L6 Z car. Is it an L16 or L-18?
Don't know yet
The importer is looking for a car right now for me
But I am looking more towards the 1800cc
For more displacement
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

How much HP from an L-series is fairly proportional to the amount of money in your bank account, or at least to the limits on your credit cards. Ultimate L HP is, however, generally inversely proportional to driveability.

Datsun 510 SSS what? Coupe? Four-door? Fair number of Coupes already in NA and while they'd be more money up front, they are cars YOU can actually go and see and touch. Not many four-door sedans around, but there are a few and the same applies.

Read this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26137

and especially this:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26180

I'd also strongly suggest worrying about buying the best car you can and deal with HP upgrades much later.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Laynec510

Post by Laynec510 »

I'm looking for a coupe to buy
And I know there is a couple in North America
But it's just easier for me to import from Japan since I know a good friend who works for a import site
Thanks guys!
510rob

Post by 510rob »

What is your goal?
Laynec510

Post by Laynec510 »

I fell in love with dimes a couple years ago and
Have loved imports since I was young and as a goal I wanted to build or restore a rhd Datsun that could be used for track and street
So that's kind of why I want some hp
I was thinking of engine swapping it with a sr20det but since I want a sss model I feel really bad taking out that beautiful engine. I know that to get a car registered out in Japan they have to have mostly everything perfect so that's what's making me choose importing also
But my main goal is to build my first 510 instead of buying one that's already built
I want to create something that I like. I know I was asking questions for different add ons for the engine but I just don't know a whole lot of parts for them
Also I live in Edmonton Alberta and there is a car meet every Sunday and I want to be able to bring it there and show off the engine
I want the engine bay to look spotless and clean
James

Post by James »

In mildly built form (cam, valves, carbs etc.) the L series is a fun engine in the light 510. Plus there is the factor that its the right engine for the car.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Laynec510 wrote:I was thinking of engine swapping it with a sr20det but since I want a sss model I feel really bad taking out that beautiful engine. I know that to get a car registered out in Japan they have to have mostly everything perfect so that's what's making me choose importing also
No visual difference between a non-SSS engine and the SSS engine aside from the carbs, which you could add to any L. And if you're looking to put on different side-drafts, then that doesn't even matter.

If you want as much power as possible given a streetable desire, talk with Specialty Engineering. They'll be able to put something together for you. If you want to build it yourself, you're never going to be able to duplicate all the little tricks the engine builders have learned over 45 years. But if that's the case, then you'll want to read through the "How to Modify" books, as a lot of the old-school information is there.

As to Coupes being perfect in Japan, you might as well forget about that. Are there some? Sure, but just because the cars are still in Japan doesn't mean they're perfect, even ones that are registered (which are few and far between). All kinda cars in Japan, and rust is a huge issue there. If you're not doing your research, you're likely to get bit.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Laynec510 wrote:Hey guys! Haven't been on for a while but
I am thinking of importing a Datsun 510 sss and I a am wondering how much horse power I could get out of the engine with a full rebuild.
I want to redo everything and price shouldn't be a problem for now
And how much will a full rebuild cost
Well, to sum up your question in a very broad statement, your HP goals with an L18 would be in the 120-180 HP range (dual carbs, as it would be difficult to get three twin choke carbs on a 4 cyl engine).

Costs for that build would be in the $3-20K range, depending on what you can supply and what you want to build. Then there are a few bits around the engine that need to be dealt with such as increase radiator capacity, and depending on the HP range - possibly an oil cooler. Behind the motor you may want to upgrade the transmission to a 5spd and a differential with an LSD unit to get higher HP ranges to the ground. It snowballs for sure.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Laynec510 wrote:Hey guys! Haven't been on for a while but
Laynec510 wrote:
James wrote:Triple Weber - L6 Z car. Is it an L16 or L-18?
But I am looking more towards the 1800cc
For more displacement
Laynec510 wrote:I fell in love with dimes a couple years ago and
So that's kind of why I want some hp
I was thinking of engine swapping it with a sr20det but since I want a sss model I feel really bad taking out that beautiful engine. I know that to get a car registered out in Japan they have to have mostly everything perfect so that's what's making me choose importing also
But my main goal is to build my first 510 instead of buying one that's already built
I want to create something that I like. I know I was asking questions for different add ons for the engine but I just don't know a whole lot of parts for them
Also I live in Edmonton Alberta and there is a car meet every Sunday and I want to be able to bring it there and show off the engine
Kind of all over the place. Turbo-ing a dual SU SSS engine???? Maybe an SR, but probably not, maybe an 1800 because larger, goodies to make it look nice. Get a garden variety 2dr 510 and (or with) with a KA or SR swap, lowered properly with upgraded suspension and brakes on nice fitting tires and rims. It will out perform an SSS at the auto cross, look great, run even better and no-one at the car shows will know a coupe from a sedan anyway.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
510rob

Post by 510rob »

510rob wrote:What is your goal?
James

Post by James »

datzenmike wrote:no-one at the car shows will know a coupe from a sedan anyway.
I go to car shows…..

ohc1600SSS.jpg
ohc1600SSS.jpg (56.68 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
This has the stock pretty bits……
Attachments
ohc1600SSS.jpg
ohc1600SSS.jpg (56.68 KiB) Viewed 4485 times
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

just wondering who has the hottest L series, natural carb pump gas, boosted carb on pump gas, natural injected, boosted injected....???????
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

RMS wrote:just wondering who has the hottest L series, natural carb pump gas, boosted carb on pump gas, natural injected, boosted injected....???????
Does an LZ count? :mrgreen:
I have been reading this thread and there are so many variables that you can spend 2k to however much you want to on a rebuild. how much power you want, how long it will make that power for? Driveability, fuel type (89octane, 94 octane or race fuel) so many things to things to consider. I spend more than most on my motor and it is worth every penny. You just need to set a budget and do what you can with it. Get someone who knows L's and you will end up with as much power as you can afford. The other way to do it is tell them how much power you want and a blank check. Trust me it gets really expensive really quick. You can spend $1000 on an oil pan.....a 2k rebuild budget is gone pretty quick with thinks like that.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?