Mike Kay's Passing - Datsunland Socal

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
duke
Supporter

Re: Don't buy from datsunlandsocal

Post by duke »

Three B's Racing wrote:It's AMERICA!! get it right.
Actually, this is a Canadian website...

Sorry to hear that another person who provided Datsun services has passed. There isn't millions to be made in Datsuns, and anybody who is dedicated enough to start a business in them deserves some credit from the community.
Duke Schimmer

'72 2-Door 510
"Simplify and add lightness."
Byron510

Re: Don't buy from datsunlandsocal

Post by Byron510 »

duke wrote:
Sorry to hear that another person who provided Datsun services has passed. There isn't millions to be made in Datsuns, and anybody who is dedicated enough to start a business in them deserves some credit from the community.
Duke, Agreed.

I talked with Dave at FutoFab this week and this topic came up in conversation - the reality is that most of the key players in our hobby are not young guys; Don at DL Potter, John Cadwell, Racer Brown, Trevor Harris, Bob Sharp and many others who contributed greatly to the Datsun Comp era which propelled our beloved 510's into the spotlight for so many years. Supporting us today, guys like BAZ at Datsport, Andy at Specialty Engineering, Dave at FutoFab and many more local guys out there which I can't begin to list because there are many - I'm not saying these guys are going to fall over tomorrow, but they are in the seasoned group as well. Guys with lot of experience, guys that have been there / done that! Guys that we are going to miss should they suddenly vanish! Suppliers and knowledge, this is the reality. So get out there and shake hands with these guys when you have a chance.

I never got to meet, know or even talk to Mike. But it was hard to not know who he was in this small community, and I wish his family well.

As a mod, and a tribute to Mike, I have edited this thread title in respect to Mike and his long contribution to the Datsun community.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
heli006

Re: Mike Kay's Passing - Datsunland Socal

Post by heli006 »

I'm sorry to hear that he passed. I bought a full kit from him last year and he had told me he was ill. On another note, has anyone investigated taking over his business? I'm interested to find out if his widow would turn over the business or his suppliers so we can continue a weatherstripping supply. Not sure how he was set up.