Your thoughts on AutoX tires.

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
icehouse

Your thoughts on AutoX tires.

Post by icehouse »

At my local AutoX track we have one class rule, RWD. I've been running 200 thread wear Dunlop Direzza ZII Star Spec 2's. Which I've enjoyed for about 9 races or so. I like them so much I don't bother switching my all seasons back on. The Star Specs even do better in the rain. All the RWD guys at the track got sick of me beating them so they all run R888's. So this weekend I came in 3rd.. Thinking about switching. Also thinking of running 13's since R888 come in small sizes. What are your thoughts? One of the guys runs a first gen RX7 and he daily drives it with the R888 and they are holding up pretty well. I ride my bike to work if it's not raining and if I do drive it's only a couple miles so I don't wear out my tires to fast anymore.
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
Byron510

Re: Your thoughts on AutoX tires.

Post by Byron510 »

I've personally never driven on the R888's, but have driven on Yokohama's equivalent A038's. These have been replaced with the 046's now, and I hear they are even more stunning. The Yokohama has a stiffer sidewall, and the feed back is instant and crisp. I've been very happy with the 038's.

As for 13" - ties are gears too. The smaller you make them, the better your gears. Then there is the other argument that the larger tire does have a larger contact patch. However comparing a 14" to a 15" in the same aspect ratio - it won;t be there for you. Now if you weer stepping into an 18" tire that was 4" tall overall, I can see an argument for this. But since this isn't the case, just through it out the window.
My R compounds are STILL on 13" rims.

My $.02 worth....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
James

Post by James »

Bigger rims and tires also have a negative impact on acceleration - given the weight is further from the center.....
Finished is better than perfect......
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

As James said, stay away from large diameter rims. As on a bicycle, the larger the mass outside, the greater power it takes to turn it. I saw that on my GTS when I went to 15" from the 14". Wow, what a difference. I went back to the 14's.

Gears ( short tires) are the cheapest form of HP you can get.

13's would really help you as I think you have a tall final do you not?

Also, as Byron said, I tried the R888's and did not like them. That may be my personal bias to liking a STIFF side wall, which the R888's do not have, hence you will find that the tire pressures have to be run quite hard, which FOR ME, did not feel good on the car, and even at that, it made what was a rock stable feel to the rear of my car, feel like shit.

I also think, at least in my case, my car was really set up for slicks @ 20 PSI, so when the Yoko 048's came along (@28 PSI), my camber setting was good for those tires without ballooning them out a bit like the R888's seems to need....at least on my car.

Sticky is good no matter what and your 200 tread wear rating is not the greatest, whereas the Yoko has 60, R888 has 100 I think.

I could see getting a season out of my 048's....depending on the pavement surface and how much sliding is done. They would need to be rotated for sure.

My thoughts at any rate.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Like Dave on Ratsun said. It could quickly become a tire war. I understand where you guys are coming from. The R888's may be shit compared to 048's but I'm sure they are bad ass compared to my Star specs. Do the Yokahama's come in 13's?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

It has always been a tire war, once you get bitten with the bug, as somebody will always have the next gen sticky tire. The chase begins.

Back in the 70's it took me half a season to see that with all other things considered, tires had to be the FIRST thing to be gotten. Grip trumps most things.

I do not think they come in 13's any more and this generation of tire is DONE anyhow. I'm not sure if we can get the new gen here in North America yet. FUNWITHMONKEYS got a new set of the next gen, they work really well, as I have watched him follow me in on some very fast corners.

The new ones are the Yokohama ADVAN AO50
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

Yes the A050's are a fantastic tire. They are almost the same as the A048 but different tread pattern to decrease treadwear and a stiffer sidewall. I have about 3000km on them and they still look new. I do rotate them often, every time I clean my wheels. I run mine at 25-26 psi normally for just driving around and can lower them to 23-24 for more grip if I'm really going to throw it around. I have never come near the limit of them going into or out of a corner. I can easily be full throttle out of 2nd gear corners without worrying about my back end trying to pass my front. I ran the falken anteza 615's with 200 treadwear previous and 1st to 3rd gears was an exercise in throttle control to keep them from spinning. The A050's take a lot of effort for me to spin when they are warm. To the point I am worried about bits of my drive train ending up on the road.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Norm, Where did you get your tires from?

TireRack is down to next to nothing with the 048's, which must be getting old now with whatever stock is left.

Jeff, I'm sure your aware to really match the tire width to rim width. I run a 7" rim and find that the 205 is the best match, at least in my case, for good sidewall support. A 225 for example both gets taller and can be more flexy, which is the last thing you need for good feel through the steering wheel, let alone predictable slip angles.

I see that the AO50 is in England, Japan and Australia...crazy expensive to get here.

I may just phone Tire Rack and see if they have some sense when or if the AO50 will come to North America. It may be possible that the other manufacture's are ahead in the sticky tire war and sales have not been brisk enough for Yokohama to justify bringing the tire here to North America. That would really be horrible for me, after my experience with the R888 tires.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I bought mine direct from Japan when our dollar was doing pretty good. They were $1260 to my door and made a week after I ordered them. Since then I have found another source from Japan to get them. They have quoted me 102,000 yen for the tires delivered. There would be duties on top of at also.
I was looking at what the options are and Pirelli also just brought out their Trefeo R in some smaller sizes. http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp ... o+Trofeo+R
Everyone that has used these raves about them. They are supposed to have a stiff sidewall and are 60 treadwear. I know Yokohama has no plans to bring the A050 to North America.
Last edited by funwithmonkeys on 05 Jul 2016 13:56, edited 1 time in total.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

That link only takes us to the site...no tire info.

Figures we get something that works well, then it becomes NLA.

I have had ALL generations of the YOKO's until now. At least my latest 048's were two months out of the mold when I got them.

Keith Law
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

I corrected it Keith.
rjracin240

Post by rjracin240 »

icehouse wrote:Like Dave on Ratsun said. It could quickly become a tire war. I understand where you guys are coming from. The R888's may be shit compared to 048's but I'm sure they are bad ass compared to my Star specs. Do the Yokahama's come in 13's?
[img]
Have been running 13" tires on my 510 with 13X9 Revolutions, have not ran my car for several years and decided to run it some this year. Was only able to find a 13" in the size I needed in a R888. Have been running them on my Z for track days for quite a while and found the tire to be reliable, predictable, and decent wearing. It definitely is not as sticky as others but since I am just doing tack days they are plenty enjoyable.
Long story short if you are going to run 15's you have lots of choices, the R 888's are a good buy in either the 13" or the 15". My concern however would be that a 3 second difference in times all of a sudden might not be totally attributable to tires.