BAT '71

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
defdes
Supporter

BAT '71

Post by defdes »

Nice new listing on BAT with fast bidding, car looks familiar, someone on here?
http://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-510-4/
WxMan
Supporter

Re: BAT '71

Post by WxMan »

Yup. http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.ph ... 2&start=15

She's a beauty. If I had the means, I'd be all over it.
The company motto seems to be "We're not happy 'till you're not happy."
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Man, how do you buy low and sell high? I never quite figured that one out.
DonnieDatsun
Supporter

Post by DonnieDatsun »

The real question is, how is the market THAT high?
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

It's mine. Seriously surprised with how high the price is at this point.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

TheHeretic wrote:It's mine. Seriously surprised with how high the price is at this point.
I am curios what you bought it for? If you wanna PM me, that would be cool.

Either way, good for you! As an owner or a restored 2 door sedan I LOVE seeing the price's climb.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

It's all over the BAT listing. LOL. I bought it for $18.5K with no plans to flip it. Was actually going to sell my red 510 instead but after seeing how original it was (and my wife being pissed) decided to pass it on to a new owner. Was simply hoping to recover my investment into it...
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

You will have to update us when you actually get cash in hand. Because at this point, it's too good to believe.
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

TheHeretic wrote:It's all over the BAT listing. LOL.
You caught me! I don't actually know how to read. I just look at pretty pictures.

As toylet said, please let us know once the monies been sent and the deal is done.

It seems that BAT is the way to go when it comes to auctions for 510's lately.

Thanks-
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

TheHeretic wrote:It's all over the BAT listing. LOL. I bought it for $18.5K with no plans to flip it. Was actually going to sell my red 510 instead but after seeing how original it was (and my wife being pissed) decided to pass it on to a new owner. Was simply hoping to recover my investment into it...
I guess my comment above is moot, you bought high and are selling higher. It looks like you'll cover your investment at least (did I read 12K into it?)
Good luck, it will be interesting to see where this goes.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Sitting currently at $29k with 2 days left.

To be honest, what I am happy to see is the value of an original finally get to this level. We've seen a number of modded 510's go for over the $30k mark, and it so nice to see an original car make it to the same level. The cost of building one is this high, I personally know that. So it's good to see the value is there on your sale.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Here's my take, given I am biased of course, but.....

The last two years has me attending many cars shows, some that have over 1,000 cars, and we have some very good quality cars here in B.C.

What I see is a sameness in the American/Detroit iron, 50's, 60's and 70's, all becoming in so many ways cookie cutter either stocker's or modded, but, lots and lots of them. And that is just here in the Lower Mainland, not even B.C. as a whole. Then look at North America as a whole...yikes, there are thousands of each of the American representations.

At any of these huge shows, should we attend, we are the ONLY representation of Datsun 510's, with hoards of people coming to talk to us about how cool it is to see these cars again, and how they some of the coolest at the car show. This last Sunday drive had two guys stop on the side of the highway to ask if any of our cars were for sale, as he has had three and would like to get another. I had more thumbs up and horn honks than you can imagine.

Last year, I went to a very, very reputable car appraiser here on the lower mainland, who is a major judge at ALL the premium car shows in North America...like Pebble Beach...so this guy knows cars and valuations. He spent 3 weeks researching my 510, which reflected both the labour into the car, the parts...and of course the biggy...in some ways it's rarity. Without him ever meeting me, when I climbed out of my car in his driveway..he said...."My God, you have a hundred in this!"

As we all know, it would never sell for this, but, as he looked into the 510 world, which he had not done before, he could see the potential for what is coming, and also saw some examples that had already sold for very large dollars, one of which was a private U.S. sale to a friend of mine for 25,000.00 USD some years ago now. Based on this pending auction, her car would well be into the 30 to 40 range too. It is in way better shape than this car at auction is.

His booklet to me both had examples he had looked at, and, the issue of the fact that in the scheme of things, there are not that many 510's out there, compared to the shear wealth of Detroit Iron, that is so common. Just look at what stuff sells for now, quite cheap in reality. When you have the likes of JAY LENNO expressing the same thing, it does give credence to that.

I walked away with a CDN dollar appraisal of $50,000.00 and with our CDN dollar against the U.S., that would put my car at 57,000.00 now. Would some body pay that ( 45+ thou USD ), who knows, who cares, to the right buyer it is a turn key...and yes it does make 300 HP Daily...street monster that is dead reliable. One thing the appraiser did say is that race cars that are NOT streetable are a hard sell. Dave Christie's car sold for 2,000 CDN, as it will never see the street again.

This car at auction right now, if you look close, has issues, it is still a nice two door, but there are way nicer cars out there for sure...wait till Byron finishes his car. Will stockers command more in value than something like mine, only time will tell. We did see that 45,000 one go and it was modded and very nicely done.

I think our cars are finally seeing the true value of something that is truly a lot rarer than your run of the mill car show stuff, stock or otherwise.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

Seems about right according to Hagerty: https://www.hagerty.ca/apps/valuationto ... Datsun-510

Seems like any collectible car is skyrocketing these days, though. My buddy totalled his '88 M5 a couple of years ago and I always jokingly tell him that he should have waited a couple of years to have that brake failure... https://www.hagerty.ca/apps/valuationtools/1988-BMW-M5
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

Techromancer wrote:Seems about right according to Hagerty: https://www.hagerty.ca/apps/valuationto ... Datsun-510
WTF, the value has dropped $2500 in the last 7 months? Sorry man, it looks like you missed the bubble.
Techromancer
Supporter

Post by Techromancer »

Yeah, looks like the same thing happened with a lot of cars, though. I'm wondering if it's a time of year thing or a market correction considering how fast prices went up.