Exhaust getting into car

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
2DoorJim
Supporter

Exhaust getting into car

Postby 2DoorJim » 19 Aug 2016 15:13

Do you folks have any issues with exhaust getting inside your car?

My problem seems worse when the windows are down, but if they are up and I turn the fan on or have the vents open it seems to keep the exhaust out. Of course I get no natural AC when the windows are up.

SR20DET and Vee band clamp turbine housing, it shows slight evidence of leakage and I'm thinking I'll cut a thin asbestos gasket ring and to place between the flanges of the union.

I also ordered a cowl seal from Datsport, thanks to Byron for accommodating me on his last order. This is the seal which goes along the rear of the hood. I thought some exhaust leakage from the turbine outlet might have been coming into the car via the perimeter of the hood and through my open window but the cowl seal didn't make any difference.

Ideas?

bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Exhaust getting into car

Postby bertvorgon » 19 Aug 2016 16:56

hey Jim,

I have had none, but, I did make sure that I extended my pipe a bit out past the bumper, just to make sure any turbulence at the back was NOT going to suck any fumes back under the trunk area. Never have had an issue.

If you have any slight leak in that exhaust/turbine/dump pipe area...it will get into the passenger compartment.

I do not have and engine compartment hood seal.
Attachments
IMGP6329 (Large).JPG
exhaust pipe
IMGP6329 (Large).JPG (455.88 KiB) Viewed 575 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

2DoorJim
Supporter

Postby 2DoorJim » 19 Aug 2016 17:05

Keith, I 'm hearing what you're saying, no leaks at all. I might have just slight leaks at two exhaust unions under the pan. I'll address these, and extend my tail pipe another couple inches.

Question for you, where does your crank case breather vent?

bertvorgon
Supporter

Postby bertvorgon » 19 Aug 2016 17:16

Both my crankcase and the valve cover vent to my catch can on the passenger side firewall.

That can is baffled inside but open at the top to atmosphere.
Attachments
oil catch tank.JPG
oil catch tank.JPG (278.15 KiB) Viewed 573 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

1973 2Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1968 Vintage 3HP Mini Bike
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer

Byron510

Postby Byron510 » 20 Aug 2016 23:52

The Bronze will also do this, and as ca as I can tell it's coming in past the trunk seal. The trunk lid is the only panel I didn't test fit on the car, and the back edge sits a bit high. In combination with the old trunk seal, it does leak. I notice the issue most on downhill decelleration. If it'd have installed the back seat or sealed the trunk area from the cabin, it probably wouldn't be an issue. I bought a new OEM trunk seal years ago, still have yeti nine talbot! I still have work to do....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

Return to “General Discussion”