1983 280zx tranny leaking at shifter.

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Dimes4Life

1983 280zx tranny leaking at shifter.

Post by Dimes4Life »

Just slapped this tranny in. It runs great but recently under load gear oil spray surges out the striking rod location. I replaced front & rear oil seals..and I'm using MT90 gear oil...also made sure the breather was clear..I've read that I might need to replace O ring in shifter cone. I purchased the o ring as well as striking rod guide seal. Wondering if there's a thread on how to replace..is the o ring within the inner rod or the outer shift pivot?...
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: 1983 280zx tranny leaking at shifter.

Post by Three B's Racing »

is your trans the FS5C71A or B? Looking at my Motorsport Schmatic Catalog these two trannies are very different at the shifting mechanisims sealing. But both show an O-ring within the tail housing. All the shifter parts look like they can be removed without pulling the trans but removing that O-ring maybe a different animal and difficult at best with trans in the car unless you can get the tail housing low enough to get at everything. I've never had to do this so I could be blowing hot air.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Here is the correct advise from a guy that has done about 7 280zx transmission rebuilds. There is a seal that the shift shaft slides in you will need to replace it. You should also replace the o-ring on the shift control selector. The transmission WILL need to be removed from vehicle and seperated to do these seals no way around it.

Seal P/N 32858-U6702
O-ring P/N 32710-14600

Available from your local Nissan dealer
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

toylet wrote:Here is the correct advise from a guy that has done about 7 280zx transmission rebuilds. There is a seal that the shift shaft slides in you will need to replace it. You should also replace the o-ring on the shift control selector. The transmission WILL need to be removed from vehicle and seperated to do these seals no way around it.

Seal P/N 32858-U6702
O-ring P/N 32710-14600

Available from your local Nissan dealer
Why blow me down Correct advice from a guy that has done about 7 280zx transmission rebuilds!!
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
toylet
Supporter

Post by toylet »

Why blow hot air up people asses?