has anyone ever seen this before?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
icehouse

has anyone ever seen this before?

Post by icehouse »

Found this on my coupe strut tower, I've never seen them stamped before. Have you guys?

"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
KiKiIchiBan
Supporter

Re: has anyone ever seen this before?

Post by KiKiIchiBan »

I don't think mine are, but could be hidden under the layers of paint. Is the other side stamped 1?
My P510 Bluebird SSS Coupe www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=26929

https://www.instagram.com/kikiichiban/
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCBP1x8z2IBvfs-MQH2Gc73Q/featured
spriso

Post by spriso »

I have never noticed that on a Bluebird before (or a North American 510), but Australian built 510s have the VIN stamped on the strut tower like this:

Michael
Michael Spreadbury
Spriso Motorsports
www.spriso.com
yenpit

Post by yenpit »

What is interesting, is that #2 looks like it was stamped AFTER the strut tower/panel was assembled cuz it is dented. What paint was there? Was the #2 filled in with the factory color.........like it was stamped at factory, then painted?

We media blasted a 1971 240Z last year for resto, and found Japanese text/numbers hand written in some type of (magic) marker, on the top of the right fender, under the original paint! Obviously some kind of quality control marking, during production. It was very faint, as if it was wiped off prior to paint, did not photograph well, so never translated it! :cry:
1973 510 2dr
1972 521 flat bed
1972 510 Wagon parts car
2009 Toyota Matrix S AWD

LOTS of 510 parts!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Yeah it was original paint. I will say the front end wasn't welded together very straight worst out of any 510 I've seen actually. The left side is 1/4" off or so. I'll post a picture of it. Not sure if the stamp has anything to do with the assembly quality.
broke

Post by broke »

I've seen a couple stamped like the one Spriso posted, can't remember if they were NZ or Jap built ones though. Usually it's hidden under a layer of filler though.
The IDx 10 concept is based on the 510 in the same way that the urinating I was doing last night was based on a 30 yr old single-malt scotch.
-McWicked
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Check it out! I was over at Dave Carroll's place with Carter, I thought "hey Dave may have seen the "2" on one of his cars" He said he can't recall any but he said lets look at my 73 two door, sure enough it had the "2"!!!!!! Here is a pic. Wish I knew what it meant.