WARNING about Hagerty insurance

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
FrankenDime

WARNING about Hagerty insurance

Post by FrankenDime »

Long rant, but worth the read.

I have had Hagerty since I bought my car. I drive in arizona and use my dime as a semi-daily driver. Living in AZ, there are a lot of pebbles being kicked up which causes glass breakage. In the last year I had two windshields replaced and had to get a tow as my alternator belt snapped.

I came to find out that Hagerty is declining my renewal and will be dropping me as a customer due to "too many claims". I am being punished for:
1. driving my car
2. using their service WHICH I PAY FOR

I called Hagerty and they said I was too high a risk to continue as a customer. WTF, I used there company to replace windshields broken at no fault of my own. I paid them to cover my vehicle. I also used their towing service to tow my car at no faultof my own either. I did not have any accidents or collision claims.

I asked them why I was being penalized for using an insurance that I paid for. I asked them if they expected all of their customers to not drive their cars because they are "classics". I asked them if I should just trailer my car to avoid any risk of claims.

I am livid that an insurance company can still be in business if they punish someone for actually using them.

Oh and they also held it against me that my 4runner (insured by State Farm) had a broken glass claim. WTF.

I highly recommend staying away from Hagerty and if you are with them, question them on their policies. I will never recommend them to anyone and will be telling anyone who will listen about my experience talking to them, their management and their "Sr. underwriter".

Rant over.
Nismo4ever

Re: WARNING about Hagerty insurance

Post by Nismo4ever »

That sucks man. Seems like they just want to pocket your payments without any regard to your property.
69 510 race car
57 Morgan +4
Portland,Oregon
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

Yep. Hagerty is only in business to make easy money! They couldn't care any less about taking care of our cars when they need to be fixed or replaced.

I had a honda stollen about a year and a half before I reached out to Hagerty to insure my 510. They told me I was too high a risk to insure due to the honda theft. A highly stollen daily driver parked on the streets of Oakland vs. a restored classic parked in my garage. Yeah, totally the fucking same thing, right! They’re assholes. Stay away if you can.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

For their reduced rates they have a right to set the rules to reduce their risk.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

When I went for my valuation on my 510, I went through a local CDN company called PELLING Insurance, they are the CDN equivalent of Hagerty. I wanted to keep my money in Canada as the have the underwriting done by a large CDN company.

I will note this thread and bring that up with them when I go to renew, I sincerely hope they would not do something like that, they are a group of real car guys.

That is total BS that's for sure. Hell, I go through a windshield a year in my G35 driving to and from work what with all the crap on our local highway.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

FrankenDime - Two questions:
How long were you a customer of Hagerty?
&
Were those three claims all from one calendar year?

Thanks,
James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Welcome to Bayesian probability calculations...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2Df1sDAyRvQ
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

I tried Hagerty and one big question they asked was, Do you drive the 510 to work? I said yes ocassionally and I got an immediate NO, we won't insure you. They also mentioned their more of a classic car/weekend driver, car show car insurer. If you use the car to go get groceries they won't insure you WTF!!! Sounds to me like they pretty much won't insure a driver and the cost if I were to not drive it for anything more than a weekend cruse or to a car show would have been $375 a year insured for $12k

F'K Them I like driving my 510.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Is this insurance for guys like Jerry Seinfeld and his stable of Porsches?
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

datzenmike wrote:For their reduced rates they have a right to set the rules to reduce their risk.
It's all about the risk. Pay less get less. You can't expect them to cover you totally like the $1,200 premium.

Get the best deal you can an drive and pray that you NEVER ever have to need it.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
McShagger510

Post by McShagger510 »

FrankenDime wrote:Long rant, but worth the read.

I have had Hagerty since I bought my car. I drive in arizona and use my dime as a semi-daily driver. Living in AZ, there are a lot of pebbles being kicked up which causes glass breakage. In the last year I had two windshields replaced and had to get a tow as my alternator belt snapped.

I came to find out that Hagerty is declining my renewal and will be dropping me as a customer due to "too many claims". I am being punished for:
1. driving my car
2. using their service WHICH I PAY FOR

I called Hagerty and they said I was too high a risk to continue as a customer. WTF, I used there company to replace windshields broken at no fault of my own. I paid them to cover my vehicle. I also used their towing service to tow my car at no faultof my own either. I did not have any accidents or collision claims.

I asked them why I was being penalized for using an insurance that I paid for. I asked them if they expected all of their customers to not drive their cars because they are "classics". I asked them if I should just trailer my car to avoid any risk of claims.

I am livid that an insurance company can still be in business if they punish someone for actually using them.

Oh and they also held it against me that my 4runner (insured by State Farm) had a broken glass claim. WTF.

I highly recommend staying away from Hagerty and if you are with them, question them on their policies. I will never recommend them to anyone and will be telling anyone who will listen about my experience talking to them, their management and their "Sr. underwriter".

Rant over.
FrankenDime - Two questions:
How long were you a customer of Hagerty?
&
Were those three claims all from one calendar year?

Thanks,
James
The person with the sun in their eyes has the right of way. - my brother

'72 2dr. 510 Turbo
'73 240Z all stock
'71 2dr. 510 stock......for now
'91 Nissan truck *SOLD*
'02 TOYOTA Tacoma
'78 Kawasaki Z1-R
'84 Kawasaki GPZ750 Turbo
'99 Kawasaki ZRX1100
dcuplover

Post by dcuplover »

3 claims in one year and most private insurance would drop you from what my experience in Alberta tells me. A rock chip is classified as an "accident" when I lived in Calgary and Edmonton. I was dropped once after a motorcycle got stolen from me. I later, while still covered by the insurance company, found the bike and called the insurance company so they could collect it. They never did and I was out the door.
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

I have Grundy and recently ran new identical quotes with both them and Hagerty at a $30K value on a 1971 510 and an estimated 2000 miles of use a year. Grundy was more than 50% cheaper and also included a $250 towing reimbursement/annually. Easy decision.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

So, with this information, the only wise action is to NEVER use insurance for something you can pay for out of pocket. Even though they cleverly sell you glass coverage, never claim it for the reasons above. In fact, remove it if you can to lower your premium. Insurance at its most basic and original form was designed to protect you against a loss you can't afford, such as the total loss of your primary residence. Repeated losses and claims in short period of time, for any reason, your fault or not are judged as an increased risk.

With the increases in natural disasters and the losses piling up on insurance companies this is only going to get worse.
510rob

Post by 510rob »

Homeowner insurance policies in Vancouver used to include earthquake coverage as a freebie. Then, as one could logically surmise, they withdrew that coverage, made it a new optional policy, and put a price on getting it back..