Brakes

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
datzenmike
Supporter

Brakes

Post by datzenmike »

It's really a shame there isn't a dedicated brake section here.

Front drum brakes, Who and what years got this? Early '68s? and was it only Canadian models? They are 9" shoes, but are they the same as the preceding 411?
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: Brakes

Post by Three B's Racing »

Why, there is Mike...

"Suspension, including wheel, tire and brake.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

hummmm.....
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I have the earliest north america 510 still alive and it has disc brakes. It is a deluxe with carpet so maybe early disc brakes were part of a factory upgrade package.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

Maybe alive is a bit of an over reach. Closer to a coma. Lol. But not dead yet.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

I had a 7? maybe 8 year old '68 back in the day. I knew how to abuse them but little about what made them work. I don't remember even having a wheel off it. No idea if disc or not. What manual I have (Haynes) shows front drum and disc as a function of date of manufacture. Haynes are printed in the UK so this may reflect European cars more.

Thanks for the reply Mike.
gooned

Post by gooned »

I do know the '67 Noel sold was front drum, 1300, 3 in the tree...no idea when they shelved the drums though.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Noel? Not familiar with this term. Is it a Prince motor car?
gooned

Post by gooned »

Lol, sorry Mike...Noel is my brother. :)

He had a 67 510 for several years.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Ha ha ha ha ha oh my. I spent half an hour going through Datsun/Nissan/Prince history looking for the Gloria, Cedric, Sylvia... the Noel.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I believe I have the only L13 510 left in Canada. Noel's car went to Oregon a few years back. The new owner thankfully posted here right away, but then I've lost track of who he was.

As for drum brake 510's, the only ones that came North America new were installed on the very few L13 powered 510 4dr sedans. I don't have any documentation that the L13 models were imported into the US. An no L13 wagons have ever been reported to exist in North America. No other L13 cars were imported after this first batch of three on the tree cars arrived in late 1967 fro the '68b MY.

A very unofficial report that I received from a guy who worked in management at a Winnipeg Datsun dealership in 1968 noted that roughly 230 L13 510's were imported into Canada for the '68 model year. I also can not find documentation to prove this number, but this is the only report I have on actual numbers. BTW, the guy that reported this to me drove his L13 car for 10 years, selling it locally in Winnipeg in 1978.

So these are the only official drum brake 510's that were imported new.
Over the last couple of years however there have been some interesting things show up. Like Jeff's Coupe with drum front brakes! Of course other imported cars like Julian's Whitebird had drum front brakes as that was also originally an L13, 3 on the tree car from the factory.

All I know is that the front drum brake 510 wheel cylinders are more rare to find than an FIA head these days, maybe even more rare new than a twin cam L series....

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Thank you Byron.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Also...FYI...Noel was the founder of the 510 Club of B.C..
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
MK510

Post by MK510 »

Here in Finland i have not seen or heard 510's with front drums, i have 69 and 70 original 1300 cars but both are deluxe models with front discs and 4speed floor shift gearbox. Maybe standard versions had front drums but i think we did not got standards here.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

My 70 coupe came with front drums. Yiikes!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam