Modified Collector Insurance

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
CP

Modified Collector Insurance

Post by CP »

I just found out there was such a thing as modified collector insurance. It would seem to me most of the cars I see would qualify under this with all of the various alterations and performance adds that have been done. The only negative I see is the no driving to work thing, but I don't how much of a problem that is for most. The rate is soo much cheaper than regular insurance, are there any other restrictions I am not aware of?

Cliff
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Modified Collector Insurance

Post by bertvorgon »

As the vehicle has to go through an inspection...it would not work for me say.

I have NO E-brake and no front bumper, that would blow me out of contention. While I could maybe mount some form of front bumper, the e-brake situation is a no go. Unless I get stopped in some way and am ordered for an inspection, I do not want to red flag my car in any way.

Just make sure you are aware of what is required before you embark on maybe unleashing something you wished you had not brought up.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
JordanTr

Post by JordanTr »

My KA swapped car passed provincial inspection a few years back. As long as the car ticks all the boxes, it should be good to go as far as passing the modified collector inspection.
'72 2 door KA project | S14 Silvia RB25DET | S14 RB26DETT (sold) | '90 Audi 90Q20V (sold)
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

Got modified collector plates late last year. You need to have another insured vehicle to qualify but very easy process otherwise. $325.00 a year for insurance.
260z owner
510 wannabe
CP

Post by CP »

Thanks for the responses. Looking further I think we would not pass on a couple of points, one being the working parking brake and the other possibly the seat belts. I think Keith you have the right idea, don't open a can of worms as you might end up with the result you don't want.

Thanks again