Saw this article today. 510 the new 57 chevy

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
GREG510

Saw this article today. 510 the new 57 chevy

Post by GREG510 »

Fred_L-P

Re: Saw this article today. 510 the new 57 chevy

Post by Fred_L-P »

Yeah, I've read it this morning. Is William on this forum? I'm still new to the community so I don't know everyone.
zKars
Supporter

Post by zKars »

I don't think I've ever seen Don here on the forum.

He's worse than me for being "in the Datsun business" but not really anxious to advertise it. He's most active on FB. He is "Don Williams of JDMotorsports".

That said, he's a great guy, knows his Datsun's. Very helpful.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I think that's Kevin Neely's old car, was blue before, no? Engine looks the same, so I'm a little confused about how accurate the article really is......hum....
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Admittedly this car pictured does resemble the car that came up from the US and spent some time in Lethbridge before it’s last sale, I didn’t know the car well so hard to say.

I’m pretty sure it’s Don that ended up with my old rally car - a red 2 dr the literally rusted away in Surrey somewhere, ended up in east Maple Ridge and Don had it shipped to Red Deer. A good friend of mine know Don and stays in touch with him - apparently Don has a field full of Datsuns in all states of condition and that he’s is quite the character- in a good sense.

The engine bay shot in the artical isn’t a really good one, I don’t see anything really custom that would be hard to duplicate, it seems to be a fairly standard SR swap with off the shelf goodies. Is there something that stood out Rich aside from the paint scheme and wheels to Cam’s old car? I’m sure it’s a fun car.
And it’s good to see them in print in any case.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

Thats kevin neelys old car. Don williams is laying claim to building it and ive heard that from more then one person even before this article was published. Very pethatic.

I know the previous 2 owner and they arw very good friends of mine.

Ive delt with don and he ripped me off on a chin spoiler that was like 4 inches too short a few years ago and refused to give me a refund. I was out 120$.
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

goichi1 wrote:I think that's Kevin Neely's old car, was blue before, no? Engine looks the same, so I'm a little confused about how accurate the article really is......hum....
arabian_ryda wrote:Thats Kevin Neely’s old car. Don Williams is laying claim to building it and I’ve heard that from more than one person even before this article was published. Very pathetic.
I know the previous 2 owner and they are very good friends of mine.
I’ve dealt with Don and he ripped me off on a chin spoiler that was like 4 inches too short a few years ago and refused to give me a refund. I was out 120$.
Interesting - one wonders….

Thanks for the confirmation Arabian.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
arabian_ryda

Post by arabian_ryda »

goichi1 wrote:I think that's Kevin Neely's old car, was blue before, no? Engine looks the same, so I'm a little confused about how accurate the article really is......hum....
Yes it was blue at one point. It was sold to a guy named elliot here in alberta. He painted it the 2 tone color. I have a few photos of our 2 cars side by side at a car meet in red deer. He gave credit for the build to kevin neely the whole time. It switched hands 2 years ago and now don williams owns it. Don did not do anything to the car himself. He bought it as you see in the photos.
2DoorJim
Supporter

Post by 2DoorJim »

Hehe, having owned this car I know “a little” about it’s history and owners.

Don has done all sorts of 510 work and hot rods too. The article is marketing.