JDM Legends

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Re: JDM Legends

Post by Three B's Racing »

Oh Yeah! that series is called Fast Cars...
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
funwithmonkeys
Supporter

Post by funwithmonkeys »

KCMO_68 wrote: 02 May 2018 16:10 My episode will air next Tuesday May 8th.

They built my 68 510 from a rusty shell to a complete build where every part has been replaced/upgraded.

I haven’t seen the episode and they didn’t sign the deal until the car was closer to done, so I’m not sure if they will show everything, but if you look at my Instagram (kcmo68_510) you will get a sense of the work they can do.
I watched your episode on Motortrend. Nice car. It looks like they spent a lot of time and effort to give you what you were looking for. That motor sound great also.
If no one from the future comes back to stop you from doing it then how bad of a decision can it really be?
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

KCMO 68, how much did it cost you to have them build your car? just curious......
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

One thing I noticed about your `68 was it's turn signal lens are later year 70-71-71-73. Their not the small units that it should be. Correct me if I'm wrong but they looked large.
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
JoseJimenez

Post by JoseJimenez »

I watched the show and that is a very nice 510.

Having said that, what kind of horsepower numbers does the transplanted engine make? I'm not very familiar with the JDM engines, just wondered if anyone would know.

thanks!
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

I watched the whole series to date last week on MotorTrend app... $6/month for car shows and all that racing?!?! DEAL!

JDM Legends is probably my favorite car show to date. They focused on the cars and not so much on the people within the show (ie: Gas Monkey). I loved seeing the tehcnical details and hope they keep going deeper such as engine builds down the road.

If there's one thing I enjoy most about JDM Legends is I can relate to pretty much everything they do. Cutting/grinding an intake manifold to fit, custom building/altering brackets, hating having to work on the dash or footwell... :lol: They're pretty much doing the same that goes on in my garage/510, only a hell of a lot better.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
DADZSUN
Supporter

Post by DADZSUN »

Really good episode last night on JDM-L - the 'Goldie GTR'. Lots of interesting details on bodywork and rarity (color and rear diff/sway option).

Friggin' awesome show.

Further to Motortrend on Demand, there's a few other really cool looking shows - Engine Masters seemingly gets into interesting details, albeit on LS blocks.

MT on Demand appears to be insane value for $6 Cdn/month. Really cool to see how a previously-magazine based is effectively dealing with a disrupted industry by providing not only shows, but a really effective app to share that content on demand.
'72 Datsun 510 - MS KA24e, Watanabe, STI R180 & CV axles, R&P assisted steering
'76 Datsun 620 - VQ35DE, CD009, G35 suspension & brakes.
'76 Datsun 280z - Future track toy
Creativity outlet: www.datsunrestomods.com
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

I gotta say, the show is growing on me. I like how they are showing more detail in the fab work.
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

Three B's Racing wrote: 09 May 2018 05:23 One thing I noticed about your `68 was it's turn signal lens are later year 70-71-71-73. Their not the small units that it should be. Correct me if I'm wrong but they looked large.
You are not wrong. The front valance of my car was unsalvagable so we had to find a replacement. By the time we realized that the valance dictates the size of the turn signal hole, the car was already painted. So it was either find a suitable 68 valance and try to match paint, or live with larger turn signals. I went with the latter figuring that only HUGE Datsun enthusiasts would notice.
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

JoseJimenez wrote: 13 May 2018 05:14 I watched the show and that is a very nice 510.

Having said that, what kind of horsepower numbers does the transplanted engine make? I'm not very familiar with the JDM engines, just wondered if anyone would know.

thanks!
The Rebello motor makes 245HP/240TQ out of an NA 2.4L. It has torque all over the range, so you never really have to downshift to be in power.
KCMO_68

Post by KCMO_68 »

goichi1 wrote: 09 May 2018 00:21 KCMO 68, how much did it cost you to have them build your car? just curious......
Enough... haha! :lol:

I get asked on instagram all the time how much does a build cost. I try not to answer, because where your car starts from and what you want to do to it will greatly affect the number. I just don’t want to put a number out there and start arguments between shops who are making a living and owners who feel like because of my estimate that they are getting overcharged.

Decide what it’s worth to you and if you can stomach that bill. Sorry to not be more help.
goichi1
Supporter

Post by goichi1 »

KCMO_68 wrote: 31 May 2018 11:53
goichi1 wrote: 09 May 2018 00:21 KCMO 68, how much did it cost you to have them build your car? just curious......
Enough... haha! :lol:

I get asked on instagram all the time how much does a build cost. I try not to answer, because where your car starts from and what you want to do to it will greatly affect the number. I just don’t want to put a number out there and start arguments between shops who are making a living and owners who feel like because of my estimate that they are getting overcharged.

Decide what it’s worth to you and if you can stomach that bill. Sorry to not be more help.
Thank you for the reply, I understand, I'm sure it was a lot, I'm just curious what a reputable shop would charge for a complete build like that. I know it's expensive but if you've ever built one you will see that things add up fast and then you have to figure in the labor. Thanks again.