electrical problem - fuse box

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Redrider

electrical problem - fuse box

Post by Redrider »

I really need some help. Long story short I was changing out a backup light switch and grounded out a live lead to the switch. Result was not only a blown 20A fuse but after replacing the fuse I find that I have no power at my fuse box for two fuses 10A Light L. and 10a Light. This involves Red (solid) and Red Blue. Not sure if a blown relay or fusible link are now the issue. I would have no idea where to look for these...especially if it is a fusible link. Would really appreciate any and all feedback.....thanks in advance.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: electrical problem - fuse box

Post by bertvorgon »

Fusable link is down attached to the starter motor, that is likely also gone.

here is a picture, the WHITE plug to the starter is the fusable link
Attachments
IMG_2531.JPG
IMG_2531.JPG (270.77 KiB) Viewed 3923 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
Redrider

Post by Redrider »

Thanks Keith....really appreciate it....I will check that.
Redrider

Post by Redrider »

Looks like it is good. I am guessing that the car would not start in the link was blown..... the car starts.
MikeY

Post by MikeY »

I was going to post the links position but as noted it's not the issue. Have you pulled the fuse box and looked underneath. If you get it out and it looks good dip it in white vinegar for a 5 minutes or so and rinse in hot water and dry it quickly. It will help with hidden corrosion. You might have burnt a wire in the box . Easy check if the Philips head screws are not stripped. Use a good driver and work them slowly if there's resistance. I've even seen a hole drilled in the hood area drip rail to access the rear screw.
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

So what is it a 510 or your post about the 300zx? Regardless I do a lot of electrical trouble shooting its got to be where those wires are commonly fed from. I assume the 10 amp fuses are good and the only blown fuse was the 20a. if so trace the feed for the 20a power it will tie in some where that the 10a ties too, just keep working backwards till you find it.
Multi meter or test light?
Redrider

Post by Redrider »

72 510 using a test light.
Danthewire

Post by Danthewire »

Ok test light is best for DC. Just work your way back, Mike is probably right look under the fuse holder 510's are notorious for that.
edekalil

Post by edekalil »

MikeY wrote: 21 May 2018 10:52 I was going to post the links position but as noted it's not the issue. Have you pulled the fuse box and looked underneath. If you get it out and it looks good dip it in white vinegar for a 5 minutes or so and rinse in hot water and dry it quickly. It will help with hidden corrosion. You might have burnt a wire in the box . Easy check if the Philips head screws are not stripped. Use a good driver and work them slowly if there's resistance. I've even seen a hole drilled in the hood area drip rail to access the rear screw.
I used apple cider vinegar to clean a few fuse boxes I have and it worked great.

Befor

After

It came out clean and seems to work fine now. Apple cider vinegar also cleans up rust off of metal, I salvaged some gas tank sending units with it so far so good.