Larger OD yoke washer source

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
Colbino

Larger OD yoke washer source

Post by Colbino »

Hey Everyone...

Long time no talk. Finally getting back into my Datsun after spending a lot of time on the Fj.

I'm trying to source some yoke washers that are a tad wider than the OEM yokes. I need a minimum of 1" OD to bridge the gap that my piece of crap cannon cause due to poor casting. I've already spent too much time and money getting this mani. to line up properly that swapping out for a different one is not the route I would like to go.

Does anyone have know a source for something similar to the OEM ones? They need to be conical, thick and at least an inch in outside diameter.

Best,
C.
zKars
Supporter

Re: Larger OD yoke washer source

Post by zKars »

Colbino

Post by Colbino »

Hmm. I'm not sure if a Belleville is what I need. Not too familiar with them though. Either way, thanks.

I'm hoping that someone has dealt with a similar situation since a lot of us run the dual dcoe manifold. I've emailed a few companies for their yoke washer specs. and am awaiting their reply.
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

I guess I'm the only lucky one to have this problem :(
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

Colbino wrote: 12 Jul 2018 20:42 I guess I'm the only lucky one to have this problem :(
It’s possible that there is a lack of understanding to you needs.

I do have a question for you concerning the application. Your looking for larger diameter washers, indicating there is more space between the components than in OEM form. One thing I see consistently with both aftermarket manifolds and aftermarket headers is that neither pay very close attention to making the flanges the correct thickness where the washer sits. If the heights are not matching and the distances unequal, the clamping force will be inconsistent and in some cases there’s no clamping force directed at one of the components at all! I even had to modify the thickness of my Nissan Comp header to make it correct.

Where I’m going with this is that the manifolds on either side of the stud in which we require these thick washers - need to be very close to the same thickness and equal distances away from each other in order to make this washer straddle both components and clamp them down equally and properly.

I’m not sure if this helps, but it something to consider.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

Hey Byron,

The exhaust manifold is stock. The flanges of the Mani. and the intake are the same thickness. It's just the edges of the intake where the yoke would bite are too far away. With everything in its proper place and the washers on the studs there just isn't quiet enough flange edge for the washer to pinch the intake flanges. I don't need much more then about 5 or 6mm and I think I'd be good.

My feelers apparey fell on def ears as I have yet to hear back regarding their yoke specs.

Not sure how to proceed now. Maybe forgo the yoke for some other non-conical hardened washer or one of those Belleville washers?

Thanks
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

My source for fatener hardware used to be Fabory Metrican, as they had the best source locally for specialty items like this. I use a extra heavy washer on my rear adjustable camber toe brackets in a 10mm size that would work perfectly in an 8mm size for you or application. Only Fabory Metrical pulled out of the North American market last month and closed all its shops after 30 years of business. I too am now looking for a new supplier.

This is not a heavily stressed part, and I’m sure that at the very least you could hav the four washers machines up out of a decent medium carbon steel to you specs. I’d guess that the original washers are about 15mm diameter, 4mm thick with the 8mm hole in them (all to be verified) - how much larger in diameter do you feel you need for your application?

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Tedman

Post by Tedman »

Motorsport Auto has the thick, large diameter factory manifold washers. Is this per chance what you are looking for?http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/ ... 9o/14-0373
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

Tedman wrote: 15 Jul 2018 22:13 Motorsport Auto has the thick, large diameter factory manifold washers. Is this per chance what you are looking for?http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/ ... 9o/14-0373
Thanks for the link but those are the standard sized ones that both the z and the 510 use, which I have, and unfortunately are the ones that are a bit short for my situation.

I did end up ordering some that are mini-cooper specific and hopefully will work. Just need to wait for them to be delivered from new Zealand. I'll update this thread once I know more, just in case anyone else encouters this issues in the future.