red dime on BAT- showing L series is still Loved!

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
cartel

red dime on BAT- showing L series is still Loved!

Post by cartel »

very Nice car - but not even close to mint paint and its pulling amazing bids-- previous to this i had thought all the money was in a SR converted car but its nice to see that a L motor can bring the same -- I still cant believe it blew past $30k already -- it is done well - but i still cant believe it :shock:

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-510-25/
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
stitebunny

Re: red dime on BAT- showing L series is still Loved!

Post by stitebunny »

It is a lot of money! And a nice car. It’s not exactly a stock L motor though. There is definitely some money tied up there.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

When you look at the cost of parts these days, a GOOD engine, no matter which one, tires, paint, and a solid body, things can add up really fast. Then if you factor in some of your time, and while a labour of love is good and fun, in our busy lives these days, is it not nice to just jump into a car and GO!?

As I have seen some of these high value 510's go at auction, the sum of all the parts and work into those cars is greater than what they sold for.

I see on a weekly basis the cost of things at Specialty Engineering, at least in CDN dollars, as people get their cars upgraded, worked on, etc.. You need some serious disposable dollars these days. I'm glad I'm not trying to build a car here in Vancouver now, what with the insane cost of housing, living, family...YIKES!

When I had my car appraised, the fellow instantly knew the cost of most of the bits and pieces, which far exceeded what I could possibly sell it for, a reality that I think we all know.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
gooned

Post by gooned »

the cost of most of the bits and pieces, which far exceeded what I could possibly sell it for, a reality that I think we all know.

No doubt, even though prices are rising it still is not a money maker to build & flip...
speeder

Post by speeder »

I am not surprised by the price. This car is really well done. 240hp? Sweet mother of Jesus. This thing must be fast. I love the attention to detail with the original parking brake system retained, the watanabes, e21 seats, etc. The presentation is also outstanding with over 200 professional quality photos and very detailed documentation of the build and money spent so far. 510’s are very powerful nostalgia cars and there are a lot of middle aged people with a lot of disposable income these days. I marvel at the number of late model high end pick up trucks around here in rural Colorado, most of which sell for 60-80k new. Hell, a new mini van costs 40k if you go for all the options.
'72 4 door 510, '68 2000 Roadster
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

You bet that car would be fast. I made 250 RWHP, which makes our light cars get up an go in a hurry, specially as our rear gearing gets shorter. You go through the gear box very, very fast!

A few of our local cars are in the 200 -220 HP and they all rock!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
speeder

Post by speeder »

Sold for $53,510!
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Totally makes sense, does not surprise me at all. Makes me want to get an updated appraisal on mine, should anything unfortunate happen. They say you should every two years, specially on a rising market.

Keith Law
gooned

Post by gooned »

I take back my comment about making money...53k USD :shock:
James

Post by James »

Probably could have hit 70K if the jambs were painted...... :roll:
Finished is better than perfect......
cartel

Post by cartel »

it took 2 people who both wanted it bad to drive it that high.. amazing sale :D i think this is not typical-- the same buyer bought a stock 240z in green for $68k..
Mike Gibson
Datsun: 71 dime; 73 Z ; GT3 240
Other: 65 + 67 Mustang ; 03 murcie
Three B's Racing
Supporter

Post by Three B's Racing »

53k is insane, I mean you have a NA L Series engine making 240hp so me thinks taking this on trips or long fun runs would be pricey in the way of the need of high octane fuel and I doubt 93 would suffice all by itself. The paint is another issue which for me I'd never ever put out 53k deep pockets or not but it is well represented in pictures which is king when selling. Gota wonder if the buyer was able to get close and personal with the car and actually drive it?
"Lastnight the wife said oh boy when your dead you can't take nothing with you but your soul oh "Think"
- John Lennon
greenthumb

Post by greenthumb »

yep. Very strong money. After doing a little internet stalking, it seems like the buyer is actually a group of car guys that like cool cars. Money appears to be no object, since they've bought at least 7 cars on BaT in the last couple months for close to a cool half mil. A sellers dream scenario, much like when Brad sold his 69. Two guys that absolutely had to have it at almost any price. Congrats to the Heretic!
speeder

Post by speeder »

James wrote: 02 May 2019 20:03 Probably could have hit 70K if the jambs were painted...... :roll:
Ha! Totally! Paint the jambs already!! :lol:
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

I think it may be time to sell mine.