red dime on BAT- showing L series is still Loved!

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
JasonLee
Supporter

Re: red dime on BAT- showing L series is still Loved!

Post by JasonLee »

I agree that this was a very unusual auction indeed, and that it was a wet dream come true for the seller. WOW! I watched the auction daily, and then went back at the end and read all of the comments starting from the beginning. I am certain that the buyer did not see the car in person. He went as far as to suggest that the rock chips in the pictures were going to turn the car into a rust bucket within the next 5 minutes (trying to scare away other bidders?), so it needs a new paint job now before it is too late to save. So it sounds like he is planning on spending more money on it straight away. I suspect that we are dealing with a group of hedge fund managers (I say this half joking, but half not) that have a pile of money to burn and just want to build up a car collection of "cool" cars fast (this group has spent almost $25k in buyer commission in the past 6 weeks!). The buyer mentioned that the first order of business would be to strip it down for bodywork and paint, add BRE flares, and painting it the blue BRE paint scheme. Wow, he could have picked up any number of the cars that maxed out at $15k and achieved the same result for a fraction of the final price. As it is, it sounds like he is going to spend at least another $10k on paint, but probably much more. At least a few in the peanut gallery commented on this car now being famous because of the record it has set and how desirable it is exactly as it is, and have encouraged him to leave it alone and not change anything. And to not add flares! I suspect that the temptation to utilize those cubic dollars sloshing around will be too great, however, and this car is going to see a facelift for good or for bad. I also suspect that it will be quite some time before we see the stars line up perfectly again and watch another non-coupe street 510 cross the block at a record setting price. But time will tell.
Jason
Idoxlr8

Post by Idoxlr8 »

Classic Japanese iron has been discovered and prices will only escalate further for the good cars.
Not that long ago the traditional car collecting world scoffed at the idea of a “Classic” Japanese car...it didn’t exist in their eyes but those days are gone.
Prices are fading for pre war cars and starting to whither for the 60’s muscle cars as well. Its a generational thing. Most kids couldn’t care less about an American car from the 50’s and 60’s because they can’t relate to them. Most grew up around and drove Japanese cars in their youth so it only makes sense they would want to collect and lust after the legacy cars that started it all.
Great if you own one today.......buying not so much.

Here’s some examples, 10 years ago people would have laughed you out of the room if you would have suggested the market would be where it’s at today.
https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos ... d-for-121k
https://rmsothebys.com/en/auctions/am15 ... lady-z-432

Dean
260z owner
510 wannabe
RMS
Supporter

Post by RMS »

I totally agree Dean. the 510 is this generations 57 chev and rightly so and unlike the majority of american cars the 510 is nice car drive.
two_68_510s wrote:I guess our donkeys are quicker then your sled dogs!
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

Crazy!! That much cash and you gotta deal with a L series (never fast, unless turboed) carbs and a steering box.... :) I bet the seller is doing the happy dance!
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
gooned

Post by gooned »

Colbino wrote: 03 May 2019 08:42 I think it may be time to sell mine.
BUT...would you have an empty spot in your soul :?:
gooned

Post by gooned »

I just searched up the IG for three pedal...wow
http://picdeer.com/media/2012745370334204220_5357997593
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

gooned wrote: 03 May 2019 22:51
Colbino wrote: 03 May 2019 08:42 I think it may be time to sell mine.
BUT...would you have an empty spot in your soul :?:
Empty soul = yes
Empty bank account = no
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I am going to go and give my L- Series a really big hug today, wash it, then show it some love by driving out to Mission Raceway on Sunday!
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
defdes
Supporter

Post by defdes »

icehouse wrote: 03 May 2019 16:32 Crazy!! That much cash and you gotta deal with a L series (never fast, unless turboed) carbs and a steering box.... :) I bet the seller is doing the happy dance!
Anyone know the happy seller here?
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

defdes wrote: 04 May 2019 08:09
icehouse wrote: 03 May 2019 16:32 Crazy!! That much cash and you gotta deal with a L series (never fast, unless turboed) carbs and a steering box.... :) I bet the seller is doing the happy dance!
Anyone know the happy seller here?
I think he's on here. Or maybe it was ratsun?

...here it is: http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27531
TheHeretic
Supporter

Post by TheHeretic »

I don't know about happy! A bittersweet moment for me for sure. Nice to get a good number but sad that this chapter in my life is ending. The car was dialed in and solid. Perfect amount of power for the 510 chassis. Driven KA and SR N/A ones and they didn't feel that quick. This 2360cc motor was amazing. Unlike the 300hp SR20DET-powered one I drove, it has plenty of torque below 4000rpm. Only weighted 2076lbs.
Carpe Diem!
Ryan
Colbino

Post by Colbino »

TheHeretic wrote: 04 May 2019 18:50 I don't know about happy! A bittersweet moment for me for sure. Nice to get a good number but sad that this chapter in my life is ending.
True. But it's nice to end on a bang! Congratulations are definitely in order.
icehouse

Post by icehouse »

TheHeretic wrote: 04 May 2019 18:50 The car was dialed in and solid. Perfect amount of power for the 510 chassis. Driven KA and SR N/A ones and they didn't feel that quick. This 2360cc motor was amazing. Unlike the 300hp SR20DET-powered one I drove, it has plenty of torque below 4000rpm. Only weighted 2076lbs.
I'm sure the balance was awesome! My NA SR kills it at my local autox, though its slow in a straight line. That's it. I ride in ton's of E85 turbo cars at the track.... That and my brother working at Tesla ruins most cars when it comes to flat our exeleration. Maybe I just need a louder muffler, or none. That always makes them feel faster :) Awesome sale! Are you going to build another one?
"People don't like it when shit doesn't match their rule of thumb." Sam
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

JEEZ...I thought I would do the math with our CDN dollar right now.

Our local currency exchange has our sell dollar rate at 1.3545, so that car in CDN $ would be 72,479.....

Now that is SERIOUS dollars....at least up here.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
James

Post by James »

Its serious down here too.
Finished is better than perfect......