Anybody get flooded out?

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
chunstone

Anybody get flooded out?

Post by chunstone »

Anybody get flooded out in BC?
Noticed the lower Okanagan river, south of Omak Washington was very muddy and had been higher than on the day we drove it on November 20th. The storm must have also dumped farther east, but did not get much media coverage. The amount of cars lost must be staggering, hopefully not many Datsuns! Anyone have any post flood updates?
4 link VG30 wagon, Stage 2 cams PP heads headers.
170 hp-180 tq
Call Doug at UP Motors, Tacoma, "engine swap elite"
bertvorgon
Supporter

Re: Anybody get flooded out?

Post by bertvorgon »

There has been an amazing amount of destruction for our major highways out of the Lower Mainland. One of our favorites, Hwy #8 is virtually GONE and will not be back for a long time.

Damage will be in the Billions by the time the dust settles, and with another 2 storms about to hit...."it ain't over yet!"

Personally, I had water in my basement, not much, but, my old house was never built with proper perimeter drainage, so some got into my basement. I learned from the massive storm in 1999 in White Rock, to keep things off the floor. I live on a steep hill and with the ground so saturated, it just runs downhill through my back yard and into my basement at times like this.

One of our mountain biking friends got caught in one of the slides, with his family, was lucky to get out alive, as the van was pushed over the road edge. They had to Medi-Vac his son out after being trapped in the van. When you talk to somebody that actually has been through this, it is a life altering experience.

I don't think we have any 510 people out on the Sumas Prairie, where the flooding was the worst.

The Nooksack River down your way seems to be the big problem, as it over-flowed and backed up into Sumas. Again they are worried about what is coming today, as the warmer temperatures will also melt the fresh powder snow, bringing even more volume of water.

Lots of stuff on the Net if really interested, pictures of the Coke and #8. Looks like our "gas rationing" will be here for sometime yet, but, it seems manageable. At least they have not gouged us on an already inflated fuel price.

I was on Denman Island when the storm hit, having fortunately the day before, swept the roof and cleaned the totally blocked gutters. That was one of the heaviest rains I have ever experienced.

https://twitter.com/i/status/1462898060862758918 This link goes to a quick view of one section of #8.

There are some pictures and another video if you scroll down.
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
1973 2 Door Slalom/hill climb/road race / canyon carver /Giant Killer 510
1971 Vintage 13' BOLER trailer
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Here is one of the bridges washed out on the Coquihalla, one example of many that are wiped out or GONE. Same situation on some of the other routes.

I'm pretty sure too, this was a bridge that the government had just spent serious dollars on doing an upgrade and repair over the last year or so.

In some places the Trans Mountain pipeline is exposed and now in the middle of the changed river course.....that....is going to take time to safely fix.
Attachments
Bridge gone.JPG
Bridge gone.JPG (74.26 KiB) Viewed 1458 times
"Racing makes heroin addiction look like a vague wish for something salty" - Peter Egan

Keith Law
ostaylor
Supporter

Post by ostaylor »

I am in Cordova Bay in Victoria and my street is between a golf course and the ocean so all the rainwater has to find its way from the golf course, through our road to the ocean. Some neighbours had flooded basements so I spent time helping them haul their belongings to dry spaces and they are taking steps to remediate and prepare for the next downpour.

My basement flooded two years ago and after some debate, we went all out during renovations and basically had a municipal grade culvert and sump pump system installed in one corner of our house. All the water around our house now pools there and is pumped to the storm drains and we have battery and dual pump backup in case we have a situation of heavy rains and power outages. These atmospheric rivers have proven a good test of that investment and thankfully, my basement is bone dry.
Regards,
Owen
70 Datsun 510 2 door - SR20DET - https://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=34572
64 Studebaker Daytona - Supercharged 289 4 speed
65 Sunbeam Tiger MkI
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The Fraser averages 3,500 cu m flow. The government website shows a spike in the flow rate of 6,400 cu m at Hope on the 15 of this month. In perspective the 1894 flood was calculated by the high water mark at around 17,000 cu m/ second or almost 3 X as much so I guess climate change was much worse 130 years ago. I tried calling David Suzuki but the line was busy for over 9 hours (I was caller 820) to get a recorded message that he's not talking to anyone. 'Sup with him???

'Atmospheric River' the media's darling new catch phrase. Likely to hear this any time rain is in the forecast this winter.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

I grew up in Winnipeg...-40 to -60 F., till I was 8 years old....Edmonton for 2 years...-20 to -30 F...then to Vancouver...rain, rain and more rain....and then to top it off....Massive torrential rain.....

We just called it winter in Canada!!

Our family had the same discussion over the new media "catch phrases"......

Keith Law
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Spring summer and fall. The big three of the left coast.

Survived 35 Onterrible winters, though it would only go just below freezing for maybe two months. Eight of those in a 521 in spite of the 'heater' in them. Moved here 30 years ago next June, 28 surveying outdoors. I know what a Helly Hanson tuxedo is. I know exactly when I became a native west coaster... It was raining the day I walked slowly across the parking lot and into Canadian Tire rather than running.
"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs
loungin112

Post by loungin112 »

Meanwhile, here in Denver Colorado, we are still waiting for our official first snow of the year. It's only about 30 days overdue with no snow forecasted for at least another 7 days. Yes, climate change is a thing. Today, end of November, was high 50's (F) and Thanksgiving was a comfortable 62 (F). 2018 (maybe 2019?) here in Colorado we had a month of 70+ (F) for a solid 28 days...in February.

Hope everyone stays safe.
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

The peak flow at Hope looks to have maxed out at 3,300 cu meter/sec about noon today. The peak on the 15th was 6,400 cu meter/sec. about 2Xs as much. The previous three days was just over 4,000 cu. meters / sec. beginning to rise about midnight last night.

3,300 cu m is over 1.3 Olympic pools worth of water.... every second. It would cover over 2.6 acres to a depth of one foot.... every second. In an hour over 9,500 acres by 1 foot deep.

In the time to write this it has definitely peaked and is in decline...

https://wateroffice.ec.gc.ca/report/rea ... tn=08MF005
datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike »

Around midnight the sharp downward trend from 3,250 cu m /sec yesterday at noon has abruptly stopped at about 2,800 cu m / sec and is trending upwards. Again, this is at Hope.
bertvorgon
Supporter

Post by bertvorgon »

Here is a reality check as to how quickly things can happen during these weather events. Our mountain biker friend Josh and family were caught in the sudden debris flow on Hwy 7. They were coming back from the Interior and could not get through Hope to #1 so headed back on 7.

He said they just caught something out of the corner of their eyes and WHAM....the wagon was swept off the highway, rolling they think, at least twice, and, luckily landing right side up, way down the bank.. Josh's son Elijah took a major hit to the head, knocking him unconscious and bleeding quite profusely. The rest of the family was pretty beat up also.

They think when the air bag went off at the same time the window caved that it fired pea sized gravel into his wife's eyes.

Long story short a heroic effort by others saved Elijah and after 3 days in hospital was released and will be monitored for any concussion after effects! The rest of the family suffered scrapes and glass wounds.

As Josh said, another few feet and they would have been caught in the main flow and maybe not survived. It will take some time..if ever..to recover from this sort of event in one's life.

It rained very hard here last night in White Rock, sending a small mud flow into the entrance of my basement door. I will be soon heading out to hose and try to dry before this next storm hits. I am going to try to dig a small trench to divert water flow through my back yard. This next storm is starting to sound like it might be worse than the big one 2 weeks ago.
Attachments
The van.JPG
The van.JPG (66.87 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Josh's van.JPG
Josh's van.JPG (74.91 KiB) Viewed 1362 times
Josh's son.JPG
Josh's son.JPG (53.78 KiB) Viewed 1362 times

Keith Law