Panasports

General Discussion about the Datsun PL510
supersportsedan
Supporter

Panasports

Post by supersportsedan »

So, I was visiting the panasport website, because I was interested in what kind of wheels Keith Law was running, and in the "Race Wheels" section, they strongly insist that the race wheels are NOT for street or highway use, but only for racing. Does anyone have any insight as to why that may be? I mean, isn't racing the hardest thing you can do to a wheel anyways?
wtf

Post by wtf »

You mean, besides nailing a curb ?
supersportsedan
Supporter

Yah, makes sense.... I guess there's no curbs on a race track.....

Post by Guest »

And no potholes!
jonm1

Post by jonm1 »

most race wheels are made from magnesium too or at least i thinkso that they will be lighter and hot have as much rotating weight
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

It comes down to outright strength. In racing you want no weight at all costs. And as many have noticed, most aluminum OEM wheels are built heavier than hell, and can withstand a whole bunch of abuse. This doesn’t mean you can't use them on the street at all, it just covers the company's ass when it comes to the law suits! Just don't hit anything!!
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
Cazzzidy

Post by Cazzzidy »

I believe Magnesium wheels are illegal on the street because they can burn/explode when exposed to high temp (gasoline) fires.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

I think the panasport street wheels are still very lightweight?
Just for comparison, the Nissan swastika rims (on my wagon) are considered lightweight (for an OEM wheel) at 14 lbs. (15"X6").
supersportsedan
Supporter

Well, it's the width I'm after... most of the 510's I've seen with panasports or lookalikes are pretty narrow width wheels. But the ones on Keith Law's 510 are quite wide. I don't know if they're street or race wheels, but I'm pretty sure panasport will make any size wheel you want in a race wheel. I'm not sure how wide you can get the street wheels though...
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

I'm quite sure they do 7" rims in their street wheels.
Hard enough to get that under stock fenders!
supersportsedan
Supporter

yeaaaaah, but I'm gonna want to put those bad boys under _flared_ wheel wells.
5teN
Site Admin

Post by 5teN »

Well 7" wide will still look nice under flared fenders! I think you can get 215's on 7" rim. Should also be able to stuff that under a flared car if the offset/backspacing is just right!

Post by Guest »

soo your saying that these panasport rims cant fit under a stock wheel well? i think flared wheel wells look stupid.
supersportsedan
Supporter

Panasports can me made and ordered in all kinds of diameters and widths. You just have to order the right size if you want to see them fit under a stock fender
Boaty

Post by Boaty »

I like the flared look... as long as it's done correctly. I can't stand the boxed-fenders that you see every once in awhile. Makes it look too much like a soapbox no wheels instead of a soapbox on a flying carpet.. ;)

Wide wheels in the back = good for back, but if you want it to be nice, get the same in the front if you can. Harder to steer, but better handling.
Steve Boatman
Grants Pass, OR
1971 510 2DR | KA24DE