fender gaskets?

Post your forsale and wanted ads
johnbureezu

fender gaskets?

Post by johnbureezu »

Any good source for new fender gaskets? The one that runs along the top of the inner fender and the one that wraps around the side of the headlights. If not, i may have to reuse mine if possible.
http://easytunegarage.blogspot.com/
okayfine
Supporter

Re: fender gaskets?

Post by okayfine »

Top of inner fender - do you mean the fender-to-chassis area that the top row of bolts goes through? If so, bicycle inner tube works well.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

AHA! I have many tubes layin around! Thanks for the tip!
Is the side piece still available?
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

johnbureezu wrote:AHA! I have many tubes layin around! Thanks for the tip!
Is the side piece still available?
As much as I hate to steer business to Mike Kay, Datsunlandsocal is the only place that has the eyebrow rubber readily available.

Just don't tell 'im Julian sent ya! :lol:
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

i think he means the piece behind the fender/headlight.
dont think ive seen them avail before.

ive reused mine.
the ones that have the nibs broken off are RTV'd on.

i found sheet rubber that is flatter than a tube and used a hole punch for the bolt holes... well see how it held up after two years in a few weeks.

okayfine wrote:Just don't tell 'im Julian sent ya! :lol:
:lol:
byron wrote:I'd be all over that like a fat kid on a smartie.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Thats the one.^^ I guess I'm gonna silicone the shit out of it and use some RTV. I think I can find the flat rubber too. I'll try them both.
Thanks guys!
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

johnbureezu wrote:
Thats the one.^^ I guess I'm gonna silicone the shit out of it and use some RTV.
i just used it where the nibs used to be... dont over do it.
used tape to hold in place until cured.
okayfine wrote:Sense doesn't always have everything to do with it, and I speak from experience.
merlin
Supporter

Post by merlin »

I punched holes in the inner tube where the nibs would be,then pushed through plastic drywall anchors. the anchors hold fairly well if you size them properly, but you can just fire a screw through them to expand the anchor out if they are too loose. Cheap too.
Merlin from Datsunhistory.com

"test mule? I don't need no stinkin' test mule... Bert Vorgon is my test mule"
nickledimeme
Supporter

Post by nickledimeme »

Don't use silacone sealant......it causes rust/cancer.

I had one of the head lamp area gaskets and am yet to find another NOS one. The top fender gasket that goes between the fender and top of frame rail is NLA and even harder to find.....they are easier to make your own however.
I was going to make my own gaskets from sheet rubber for my fenders......then I found my NOS gaskets in a box.
A leather hole punch and razor should do the trick. There are several places in Seattle that sell rubber by the sheet in several thickness. You should not have a problem finding it in CA.
johnbureezu

Post by johnbureezu »

Cool. time for some rubber smithing :)
When i said silicone, I meant silicone spray. I used it in the past to restore rubber parts and preserve them. You think thats still bad? Is it the silicone itself that promotes the rust? Keep in mind that I'm going to Por15 the wells.
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

From what I read these days silicone is actually bad for rubber and will in the end do more damage than good. Exactly the opposite of the advertising for Armor All when it came out.

I looked for quite a while for something to use on the seals i could not replace on the 69 and found a mix of glycerin and something else that museums use to restore rubber but that seemed like a huge pain to make and use so in the end I used "Wurth Rubber Care".
It worked great on my pretty abused quarter windows seals and everything else I have used it on so far. It comes in both an aerosol and a "stick" applicator (think white shoe polish) which makes it easy to apply to existing seals without getting it all over your paint.
nklanddime

Post by nklanddime »

I have a coupe of new sets of the fender gasket sets, as well as the rubber piece(s) that separates the radiator support from the fender. If you are interested, I can get you a price in a day or so.
hang_510
Supporter

Post by hang_510 »

nklanddime wrote:I have a coupe of new sets of the fender gasket sets, as well as the rubber piece(s) that separates the radiator support from the fender. If you are interested, I can get you a price in a day or so.
over here... 8)
Yellowcar

Post by Yellowcar »

How many do you have? :D :D :D
vintageracer
Supporter

Post by vintageracer »

I used VW fenderseals on my '72. I went out and bought a roll of the stuff. I taped it on the fender and marked the holes. I stamped out the holes and bolted the fenders on. It sealed the water out and made a nice fit for the fenders. I could not find the headlight/fender curved pieces so I reused the ones I had. They cleaned up and worked pretty well. We are putting these Dimes back on the road better off then they were from the factory!