WTB: L20B 5spd trans

Post your forsale and wanted ads
willthethrill

WTB: L20B 5spd trans

Post by willthethrill » 20 Apr 2011 12:03

Ran into some transmission problems with my current 5spd dogleg, im looking to see if anyone has one for sale preferably on the east coast before I have my current one rebuilt. The shop that has my current trans is quoting me $550 to "rebuild" it, I know I have seen used ones go for much less than that. If you have anything or know of someone who does please let me know.

Thanks!

Will
This space for rent.

510-Trevor
Supporter

Re: WTB: L20B 5spd trans

Post by 510-Trevor » 20 Apr 2011 13:48

What does "rebuilt" mean? Did the quote include what exactly was going to be done for $550?
Buying a used trans is a crap shoot, rebuilding it might be a good investment if the right parts are part of the deal.
1972 Yellow 4dr

willthethrill

Post by willthethrill » 20 Apr 2011 16:18

Yeah Im going in tomorrow to talk to the guy to find out. So my issue was I was driving it, just fine went to shift from 5th to 4th and it was stuck in 5th , i could not disengage it. Felt like a broken shift fork or something but i dont know enough about trans to attempt to crack it open myself. The guy who called me with the quote told me that who ever rebuilt the trans previously put some thing in backwards yada yada sounded like real bs to me. Backwards or not it felt fine until it got stuck, I was still able to drive it fine just couldn't shift. I hear what you are saying, i am hesitant to buy a used one because like you said who knows how long that will last or whats wrong with it but i wasnt expecting a rebuild of current trans.
This space for rent.

ajen68510

Post by ajen68510 » 20 Apr 2011 18:47

I had same thing happen to my Dog leg. It was the Syncros that went. I had that exact problem 3 to 4th. Then it popped out and i could shift again, but not without grinding . It is getting very hard to find the Syncros for that transmission. They can be ordered from Japan, but it will take a couple of months to get them. If your tranny guy says he can rebuild it, get a warrenty in writing.

datzenmike
Supporter

Post by datzenmike » 20 Apr 2011 20:17

Someone put something in backwards???? Sounds like something that would come out of a salesman's mouth. You know, those guys who always have a quick answer that's 66% plausible, 24% over your head, 10% believable but when you get home a think about it, it's really 100% bull shit.

The 200sx Dogleg is now at least 33 years old now and could have seen a half dozen owners and 150K (miles) on it before it was removed and sold to a 510 owner. It might have been repaired or rebuilt but which, you will likely never know from looking at the red RTV blobbed on the adapter plate. A good rebuild will require $2-300 or more in quality parts to do it right. Synchros are about $40 at the dealer.

The dogleg synchros are the same as those used in the 620 and 720 trucks gas and diesel, 280z and zx, Maxima to '84, and 200sx to '86. The F4W71B and the FS5W71B are very common transmissions. Hell I have three beside my computer!!! If I cut my lawn there's even more.

"Nissan 'shit the bed' when they made these, plain and simple." McShagger510 on flattop SUs

Byron510

Post by Byron510 » 20 Apr 2011 23:04

datzenmike wrote: Hell I have three beside my computer!!! If I cut my lawn there's even more.
:
Mike - you kill me laughing - between you and Bert tonight, I feel better already :lol
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.

willthethrill

Post by willthethrill » 21 Apr 2011 10:31

Haha thanks guys, i love this place, so many knowledgeable and helpful people. So I met with the owner of the shop this morning and he went over everything with me that was wrong with, it nothing was broken really, he showed me how when the trans was worked on previously by the previous owner / shop they didn't put a shim in place and they used a wrong sized ball bearing that engages the shift rod so there was a enough play that it got bound up and wedged in fifth when I went to shift. It seemed pretty believable to me seeing it all laid out like that but what do I know. At $90 an hour most of the cost is apparently labour and a few tiny parts. I felt a lot better about the $550 when i thought something was really broken but all my gears and syncros look good, nice sharp edges no visible wear on the syncro face or anything like that, infact the syncros all look brand new, probably what the previous owner did. Im leaning towards sucking up the cost and having this fixed.
Last edited by willthethrill on 21 Apr 2011 11:41, edited 1 time in total.
This space for rent.

James

Post by James » 21 Apr 2011 11:01

If it works - you are in business. Plus you have now had the trans apart - and have seen the synchros - which is the most common part to wear. I would feel good about the $550 - rather than trying to find a used trans, and then possibly having to do this anyways.
Finished is better than perfect......