WTB: Heater Control Valve

Post your forsale and wanted ads
DuncanJDM

WTB: Heater Control Valve

Post by DuncanJDM »

Looking for heater control valve for the "cold weather" heater for a Datsun 510. Will buy a working or non-working unit. I am located in So Cal.

Thanks for your help!
tr6racer21
Supporter

Re: WTB: Heater Control Valve

Post by tr6racer21 »

There's a post somewhere describing the rebuild of the stock heater valve. I'll try to find it. Maybe others know where to look. Might help with your project.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

What year/what dash? Valves differ.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
DuncanJDM

Post by DuncanJDM »

I have a RHD '71 510 wagon from Australia. Unfortunately, the original valve was previously replaced by an ill-fitting generic unit. It's my understanding that the only Aussie models they used this heater in was the wagons, so I'm not having the best of luck finding one there.

A friend from JNC directed me here, thinking they probably used these heaters in the Canadian 510 models.

I do have a new 510 std heater valve I can cannibalize for parts if I find a used one.

Thanks again for your help!
DuncanJDM

Post by DuncanJDM »

Here's a photo of the heater, and you can see the generic control valve attached to the hose on the right.

Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

The heater boxes used in Aussie Datto 1600's are unique to the Aussie cars, as these were made in Australia from local suppliers.
The Canadian 69 and later) wagon has the same heater box as all other 69 and later heaters, except that the heater core is a duel pass design where the sedans got a single pass design core.
My suggestion would be to find a 69 and later sedan or wagon box complete. I say this because of these all came with a much more efficient squirrel cage design fan that will move significantly more air than the bladed fan used on your heater box shown or the 68 style heater box which also has a similar design. If you can source a wagon box with complete with a valve and core, you are miles ahead.

Unless of course you want to retain the uniqueness of the Aussie heater box. I'm sure you'll be the only one around with it.

Maybe one of our Auusie guys can post a photo of the stock heater valve. From that point maybe we can match something here in North America.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
okayfine
Supporter

Post by okayfine »

Or contact Datsport in Aus. and see if they can help. I don't think it's something they offer, but they could well have a few laying around.
Because when you spend a silly amount of money on a silly, trivial thing that will help you not one jot, you are demonstrating that you have a soul and a heart and that you are the sort of person who has no time for Which? magazine. – Jeremy Clarkson
two_68_510s
Supporter

Post by two_68_510s »

I have this valve I have no idea where it came from (I am sure someone knows) I don't need it.
WP_20150825_002[2].jpg
WP_20150825_002[2].jpg (193.26 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
WP_20150825_001[1].jpg
WP_20150825_001[1].jpg (178.02 KiB) Viewed 5552 times
Joel

2 '68 510 2 door sedans
'95 240SX

“We will either find a way, or make one.” – Hannibal
DuncanJDM

Post by DuncanJDM »

Byron said:
"Unless of course you want to retain the uniqueness of the Aussie heater box. I'm sure you'll be the only one around with it."

Byron, that is why I'm going to the trouble. I've done very extensive work restoring this wagon, and would like to retain the unique features on it where possible. Living is So Cal, I never use heat in my cars, but defrost is handy once in a while :D

I found the p/n for the JDM valve online, and BProjects had one listed, but they specifically say it is NOT for the cold weather heater. That is contrary to the parts manual, so that has me scratching my head a bit. I don't recall the price, but it was reasonably expensive.

Joel, I don't know what that valve is for, (possibly the "standard" USDM heater) but that is the same valve I bought NOS. I appreciate you trying to help.

I'm positive I can find a valve that is close and modify it to work, but I'd like to find a correct one.

Again, I really appreciate the help and sharing your knowledge!

Mark
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

on ratsun there is a good right up for this repair, i did it to mine last month. just google it and you will find it.
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
butters68
Supporter

Post by butters68 »

here ar some pics,
HPIM0267.JPG
HPIM0267.JPG (476.5 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
HPIM0268.JPG
HPIM0268.JPG (338.27 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
this is a 68 valve
this is a 68 valve
HPIM0679%20%28Large%29.jpg (103.41 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
i still have a new 68 valve ,another guy wanted it but never got back so its still here.
Attachments
HPIM0269.JPG
HPIM0269.JPG (342.18 KiB) Viewed 5500 times
ding ding dong dong all night long long.
Chickenman

Post by Chickenman »

Man..this sure brings back memories. I remember our original Datsun Parts books..you know those ancient things with this stuff called " Paper ". Had all sorts of secret notes written in them, to correct the factory mistakes in the Catalogs. That was the nice thing about books, you could actually write " corrections " in them. Microfiche was so much harder... you had to have a really sharp pin and a steady hand to scratch the notations on those!!

No wonder nearly all Partsmen have to wear glasses....

The " Heater Valve " pages had to have the most hand written " corrections " of any section. The early models and Canadian models were all messed up in the books. Nissan of course transferred all the misinformation over to Microfiche. So the "old salts " would dig out the dusty old tattered Parts books when certain parts were required for 510's 521's early 240Z's etc.

Glen at WC Nissan still has his secret stash of old Parts " Bibles " from the 70's. I wonder what happened to mine when New West Datsun shut down?
Byron510

Post by Byron510 »

I don't know who ended up with your books specifically Richard, but years ago I bought a whole pile of factory parts manuals from the 60's and 70's. I kept the relevant Roadster, 240 and 510 books, but handed the 610, 710, Maxima, 520, 620 and 720 factory parts manuals over to Merlin who promised to put them in his library as I did not have space at the time. That was close to 10 years ago now. It is possible that these came from the Z Shop in Burnaby, but I am not sure.

Byron
Love people and use things,
because the opposite never works.
harryagain
Supporter

Post by harryagain »

DuncanJDM wrote:Here's a photo of the heater, and you can see the generic control valve attached to the hose on the right.

Hi DuncanJDM, I have attached a photo of an Aussie spec heater. The tap is significantly different to a US version. I can't understand why the heaters would be different between sedans and wagons in Australia. Could it be possible that your heater is original JDM equipment?

Lastly can you take a photo of the side of the heater where the original tap "should" mount? I might be able help with details for a replacement......
Attachments
IMG_4400.jpg
IMG_4400.jpg (74.57 KiB) Viewed 5429 times
My cars
1971 Datsun 510 2Dr
1971 Datsun 1600 4dr - FJ20
VW Golf

My 2dr Build
http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=27563
DuncanJDM

Post by DuncanJDM »

Folks,
I don't stop by here too often, but to put a bow on this thread I ended up buying a heater from a guy parting out a '69. I bought it just for the valve which mounted exactly like my heater. Turns out the valve was bad, of course, but at least I had a valve.

Spent hours looking at a NAPA online catalog of heater valves, and bought one that was close to mine.

Original valve on left, NAPA on right.

Built a new mount to go on the original location on the heater, and modified the valve portion of it to work with the Datsun control cables.
New on left, original on right.

Built a wood template to line up the mounting through the firewall like the original. I also ended up soldering a bit more copper tubing onto it to extend it through the firewall a bit more.

Kinda ridiculous, I know, but I wanted to retain the original heater if at all possible. It all actually works like it should, believe it or not :mrgreen: